Thread: TFL Rivercat/Appariton

Default TFL Rivercat/Appariton

Got this hull off ebay probably an Apparition from TFL which I think Travis said is a copy of the Rivercat 32.
    Anyway started the build paint the hatch sun burst yellow which looks really good in person, much brighter then in the pictures. Build is progressing nicely so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool little hull. If you're going to keep the servo in that position, are you able to flip the connecting arm of the rudder to the other side? It would certainly simplify the shape of your steering pushrod.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Cool little hull. If you're going to keep the servo in that position, are you able to flip the connecting arm of the rudder to the other side? It would certainly simplify the shape of your steering pushrod.
    That rudder had tabs on both sides originally, but yes it can be flipped, I didn't like the way it looked running straight, and wanted to run it through the cut out in the offset part of the rudder. I think it will look pretty nice after I slide the rubber boot on.

If you haven’t drilled holes yet, I’d flip the servo over and try to keep the rod to the inside. It looks much better that way. If you drilled the hole already you could put a rubber drain plug in it and drill another hole. I put a drain plug in some of my boats from time to time. Every now and then a little water will find its way in.

Just looked at the pic. That z bend isn’t going to control that rudder very well. Try to turn the rudder back and forth and see how easy it flexes. You could use a stiffer rod but I’d prefer the way I stated above and with a thicker rod.
    I learned long ago that keeping the rudder under control is very important. I use 1/8 stainless rod and I thread it to make my steering rods.

Here’s an example

Last edited by kfxguy; 12-08-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I ended up flipping the rudder arm like fweasel said and it lined up basically straight. I'll take a picture a little later. Have to prep the snow blower for a storm OH JOY, next year moving to Florida YEAH!!!

Oh and the arm is 4-40 threaded on both ends I think that should be strong enough, probably stronger then the Traxxis 2075 plastic gear set on the servo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Newboater; 12-08-2017 at 12:20 PM.

I moved on from 4-40 long ago. It’s just not stuff enough in my opinion. It’ll work in some applications. I guess you could always change it if itdont work. I think it’ll be fine up to about 60mph and then you’ll need a stiffer one. I can stress how important it is for the steering to be accurate and rigid especially on faster boats. That right there has enabled me to take speeds even higher without odd flips.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

What size rod are you using and where do you get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    What size rod are you using and where do you get it from?

1/8 and I got my last batch off eBay. https://m.ebay.com/itm/6-PC-1-8-X-12...AOSwo6lWPnTcDo note, you’ll need to thread it. I usually use a 4-40 rod end so I chuck the rod up in my drill and run the first 3/4” against my grinder to make the Diameter a little smaller so I can thread it 4-40. Then after I bend it and cut to length I turn the other side down by hand or you can use those swivel pivots instead of threading.

Like this: (just drill the hole bigger for the thicker rod)

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-83106

Cool

As Travis states, a stiff steering rod is essential to good control, particularly on high speed boats. Any bends to correct alignment will help induce rudder flutter, with possible handling problems the result.

Can you just use 4-40 rod? Sure, many do, and I do on my Limited boats. But many folks also have strange flips, hooking, etc. on faster boats. Actually I still use 4-40 rod for steering on my faster boats, but I glue carbon fiber tubing over it. This allows standard connectors to be used on the ends but the rod itself is now extremely stiff. An alternative is to use nested brass tubing over the 4-40 rod, and while this increases stiffness and is better, it is not as good as the carbon tubing.

On oval race boats especially, set up the rudder so that the servo pulls the rudder for a right turn, this helps give a more solid turn. Pushing the rudder can induce flex in the steering rod, giving odd steering response.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Actually I still use 4-40 rod for steering on my faster boats, but I glue carbon fiber tubing over it. This allows standard connectors to be used on the ends but the rod itself is now extremely stiff.
    Great idea. Where do you find such small diameter carbon tube?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Great idea. Where do you find such small diameter carbon tube?
    Don't quote me, I bought 3 feet some years ago at the Graphite Store I think. IIRC, it’s about 0.15” in diameter, sorry I just moved and all my boat stuff is still packed up.

It might be this: http://graphitestore.com/carbon-fiber-tube-0-156od But I can’t be certain.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for