Thread: Refinished my MHZ Micro Shovelnose

Default Refinished my MHZ Micro Shovelnose

Been away for a while. The only place to run RC boats within a reasonable distance is really limited in size, making micros the hulls of choice (besides, they're cheap to build ). I was running the MHZ Micro Shovelnose for a while, but in a monochromatic gelcoat, it was rather boring to look at. Behold, the Farm Implement!

Yes, Farmer John (the driver) is wearing a MAGA hat.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

I like the “farm implement” exhaust......on a very nice micro. My late buddy Trent would have loved it.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Is that the antenna coming thru the diesel exhaust pipe? I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Is that the antenna coming thru the diesel exhaust pipe? I love it!
    Bingo!! I used an old guitar string for the 2.4 GHz antenna.....

I love it, so an old guitar string? Curious how it works out, I’m always looking for extension options.
    Shawn

Let me guess, a 0.011” E string.... Am I close? From an acoustic guitar?

Actually, it's a 0.013" B string from an electric. In addition to building boats, I also build guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    ............. My late buddy Trent would have loved it.

I got to thinking about this. It was Trent Hare that first opened my eyes to the whole micro thing. There should be a special spot for him in the FE Hall of Fame. He was light years ahead of the curve.

I've always liked the micros: They're cheap, they're fun, they fit on my pond. I've been doing a lot of "downsizing" over the years. I used to fly high-performance fiberglass racing sailplanes (see avatar), but I sold them and bought 1950s-designed tube-and-fabric ships. They're small, they're slow, they're clunky, they're noisy; but,...... I have more fun per dollar than I ever had with the high-tech German stuff......

I'd love to pick up Trent's baton. After I get all my uncompleted projects up and running, I'd love to scale Garry Finlay's plans down to 1/20 scale and make some laser-cut kits. A 17-1/2" Atlas Van Lines would be beyond cool......

What ever happened to Joe Solinger? He made some REALLY COOL micro rudders and turn fins.

If you like modern stuff too, you might like the MHZ Miss Madison, with a hollow saltwater snorkel fitted and a flood chamber they can be made to self right, which can be very useful for these mini boats when the pond isn't a mirror.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    If you like modern stuff too, you might like the MHZ Miss Madison, with a hollow saltwater snorkel fitted and a flood chamber they can be made to self right, which can be very useful for these mini boats when the pond isn't a mirror.
    I have one in my fleet, soon to be refinished as the Miss Madison (white). Note the slight angle on the strut in the second photo!
    Attached Images Attached Images