Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/8 Scale racing venues

Quote Originally Posted by CircusCircus View Post
    absolutely some beautiful boats and 1/8th scale are just so awesome screaming across the water. . .again you guys have some gorgeous boats

Terry,
    I believe Joe told me he was going to stop by the Nationals to look at the registered boats. But I might be wrong

You guys crack me up…

By having your 1/8 boat registered gives the CD the confidence your boat meets the rules required. A registration card eliminates the need for the CD to go around measuring each scale at every event thru the year/s. That is why you're supposed to show your card at the event.

If there is a concern the boat has been modified after registration then you would need to file a formal protest and I am sure that would initiate the hull being measured again.

It clearly states in the rule book the registration fee is used to “cover registration printing costs & postage fees”. You guys just spent thousands on a boat and now you’re worried about $5-$10??? Really??? Actually, its my understanding that Joe W. has been waiving the fee for those registering FE 1/8 boats recently.

NOW, if a boat is being registered and the care hasn’t been taken to make sure the model fits inside of the published rules… That responsibility falls back on whoever processed the registration; whether or not if that is Joe W. or the District Director. I am unsure how Joe approaches this process. Perhaps he is giving boaters the benefit of the doubt or honor system. Is that right or wrong; don’t know. However, if I know Joe W. well enough, you jerk him over one time and that will be the end of any “I trust ya” moments.

At the end of the day there are MANY 1/8 boats in our district and surrounding districts. They are registered, they are legal, and fill racing events. It must not be broken too bad. I would suggest take a step back and ask the right questions, to the right people. We are all on the same team now (IMPBA), we need to play like we are on the same team.

Joe is currently waiving the fees. The fees are actually for a high points trophy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Fleury View Post
    The fees are actually for a high points trophy etc.
    In addition too...

Taken directly from the book...

VII. $5.00 initial registration fee and a $3.00 annual renewal fee due by March 1. The
    registrant will receive a District Chairman approved form verifying current registration.
    Approved form must be brought to all contests. Purpose of fee-monies will be used for
    high point district trophy, postage, printing costs, and other expenses incurred.

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    You guys crack me up…

By having your 1/8 boat registered gives the CD the confidence your boat meets the rules required. A registration card eliminates the need for the CD to go around measuring each scale at every event thru the year/s. That is why you're supposed to show your card at the event.

If there is a concern the boat has been modified after registration then you would need to file a formal protest and I am sure that would initiate the hull being measured again.

It clearly states in the rule book the registration fee is used to “cover registration printing costs & postage fees”. You guys just spent thousands on a boat and now you’re worried about $5-$10??? Really??? Actually, its my understanding that Joe W. has been waiving the fee for those registering FE 1/8 boats recently.

NOW, if a boat is being registered and the care hasn’t been taken to make sure the model fits inside of the published rules… That responsibility falls back on whoever processed the registration; whether or not if that is Joe W. or the District Director. I am unsure how Joe approaches this process. Perhaps he is giving boaters the benefit of the doubt or honor system. Is that right or wrong; don’t know. However, if I know Joe W. well enough, you jerk him over one time and that will be the end of any “I trust ya” moments.

At the end of the day there are MANY 1/8 boats in our district and surrounding districts. They are registered, they are legal, and fill racing events. It must not be broken too bad. I would suggest take a step back and ask the right questions, to the right people. We are all on the same team now (IMPBA), we need to play like we are on the same team.
    Hey Mike, your preaching to the choir...
    ~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ****2008/9 MMEU LSO, 2008 LSH CHAMP****
    ~~~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~~~~~~

I'm not trying to argue with you Mike, but read the registration form on the first page. The $10 registration fee is for the high points trophy. I actually support this registration. That is why I filled mine out and sent them in already.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Fleury View Post
    I'm not trying to argue with you Mike, but read the registration form on the first page. The $10 registration fee is for the high points trophy. I actually support this registration. That is why I filled mine out and sent them in already.
    Understood; nor am I trying to argue with you. I am simply trying to fill in the gaps so those reading this can see the entire picture. It does sound like some commonization of wording could be cleaned up. Although, at the end of the day, it won't change the process.

Later,
    Ball

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    No offense Mike but you're absolutely wrong on this one. I've CD'd a couple races. The registration gives the CD absolutely zero confidence that a boat is correct. The form/card provided verifies that the boat is registered. That's all. There are no provisions in the rule book that a boat be inspected by a district or national chairman to verify a boats accuracy. It's up to the venue to verify it should a boat be protested. If the "intent" of the registration is to verify a boats compliance with the rules then it needs to be re-written. It doesn't currently. Done a few of those re-writes too. You register via email. You don't even have to have the boat built. Todd has three registered. Only one has ever had paint on it.

The registration provides no benefit other than to pay for a district trophy and to print the card itself. The fact that a boat cost $1500 to start so what's a couple more bucks is irrelevant. If the rule called for me to actually light some money on fire it would have the same benefit. "Oh come on Terry! What's 15 more bucks?" I was thinking about adding a diamond coating to my next boat. Not because it helps but what's a few more bucks right?

Make no mistake though. The registration is going no where.
    Noisy person

SMH..........seriously!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Sounds like having your IMPBA Scale registered doesn't hold any weight for upcoming FE Nats. Anything go's as usual then...
    ~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ****2008/9 MMEU LSO, 2008 LSH CHAMP****
    ~~~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12