Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/8 Scale racing venues

Default 1/8 Scale racing venues

Is running 1/8th scale (FE) a dying breed, am about to finish mine up in the next couple of weeks but want to race it next year. I live out here in Las Vegas but figure I'll have to travel to arizona or california to compete. They race gassers out here at sunset park so that's out. I don't have a problem with traveling to race but after reading some threads, doesn't seem like there's but a few people who show up to races with FE's. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to run a full season next year.

I believe there is a group up in Seattle that is really into 1/8 scale.

Other than that, the only other place I know of that runs actual heats is the Michigan Cup. I'd love to hear that there are more out there too.
    Noisy person

Mike, I sent you a PM. Call me about 1/8th scale races.
    Leonard

Appreciate that TS Davis, Seattle would be quite the trip but wouldn't mind making the trip to meet new racers. Leonard reached out today, I had a great conversation with him and sounds like running with their club would be a great time. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by CircusCircus View Post
    These guys build some beautiful boats.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I believe there is a group up in Seattle that is really into 1/8 scale.

Other than that, the only other place I know of that runs actual heats is the Michigan Cup. I'd love to hear that there are more out there too.
    FE 1/8th Scales have raced several times here in Texas this year. The Dallas RC Thunderboats are quite involved now, and the HOTMBC members have some too.

There is at least two solid FE 1/8 scale sanctioned races in the North East, IMPBA,Michigan Cup and the CanAm, you can get 8 boats if everybody shows, 4-6 if its rainy !!

Cheers, Jay.

Jay, I doubt scale will make the cut this year. We'll see though. Stranger things have happened. Did FE scale run at the CanAm this year? Memory is fading......... I remember running just can't remember which year. We ended up with some heats in Atlanta. That sure was a fun to watch.

That's good news Jim. Maybe there are more of them out there than I think. The cool factor is high on these.

It's tough. They're a heck of a commitment. Doesn't help that the rules are different for each organization. Maybe someday they'll be the same but I doubt it.
    Noisy person

Terry, I here yuh on the fading memory thing ! I think there has got to be 12 FE 1/8 scales in the 2 districts, not including the weird wired guy's like myself who have two or more 1/8 scales!! We are all fortunate we can drive the beasts to races. Imagine if you had to ship one ....Bahaha!! 6 boats for a class , tough times for T- mono and cat. Hopefully you will put them on the roster and let the chips fall where they may. you might get 10 for each !! you just don't know till the dust settles.
    Cheers, Jay

I counted 9 from D1 and D2. 10 if you count Smock. 10 boats across three districts. If our race was today, only 3 of them would be allowed to race.

We usually do know where the dust will settle Jay. That's how we come up with the list and schedule every year. We know what our list of usual suspects own. To a degree at least. If the other classes don't appear to be making it we'll throw something in on top of our list. The big boats rarely get raced. All too many times we've seen 5 sign up, one guy cancels last minute, one melts down during open water, a third breaks in the first heat. Now we all watch some two boat heats. woo.........hoo.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    If our race was today, only 3 of them would be allowed to race. .
    Actually, that's not fair. I don't know that. 3 of them for sure aren't legal. On of those guys doesn't race anymore anyway. The other 4 I "think" are not registered. However, I can't verify that as there is no list of registered IMPBA boats on planet earth. It's up to the racer to prove to any contest official that his boat is registered. Can't prove it. Can't race it.
    Noisy person

I know of 3 scales registered in District 2scalereg-1.jpgscalereg-2.jpgscalereg-3.jpg

haha Bind them all to the same radio. Should be a scream.
    Noisy person

Just noticed. References the NAMBA roster. Weird.
    Noisy person

Yep, They use the NAMBA MHR for their record

One is nitro, so guess I need to enter more races

I still think 6S and open motors would be viable...

Quote Originally Posted by worthing3104 View Post
    Is running 1/8th scale (FE) a dying breed, am about to finish mine up in the next couple of weeks but want to race it next year. I live out here in Las Vegas but figure I'll have to travel to arizona or california to compete. They race gassers out here at sunset park so that's out. I don't have a problem with traveling to race but after reading some threads, doesn't seem like there's but a few people who show up to races with FE's. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to run a full season next year.
    There were 4 entries in FE 1/8th Scale at the 2017 NAMBA Nats in Las Vegas. By comparison, there were 5 entries in Gas Scale, and only 4 in Nitro 1/8th Scale.

Default Coming soon U-31 Miller High Life

I'm building another 8th scale almost halfway done w/construction. I need to get a build thread going! Debut scheduled for Mi Cup so count me in!

We need to get word out if they need to be IMPBA registered!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ****2008/9 MMEU LSO, 2008 LSH CHAMP****
    ~~~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~~~~~~

Ken,
    Reach out to Terry. I sent him the registration form for 1/8 scale in our district.

Yeah, it's the wrong form though according to Joe. Haven't seen the new one yet. I'll probably just make the form myself so we can use it in the future. Get it to Joe after. It ain't rocket science.

It's an IMPBA national event. They must be registered. There's no "if". They also must have one of the motors from the list. Also not negotiable.

Ken makes 4 for the Cup. 2 more to go.

Anybody heard from Baffer? His scale is stupid fast too.
    Didn't see Smock on there yet either. Hope he can make it.
    Missing Snaer too. Just texted him. He's running. Just hasn't registered yet. That boat is so pretty.

Should make the bubble.
    Noisy person

I will change it. Going to use last years form and change it to 2018.

Cool beans Todd. Already forwarded it to the guys I knew were looking for it.
    Noisy person

Sent my 3 forms

Leonard in la at Legg Lake has a scale club.. not sure how many they get.. I’m actually building one but prob won’t race it until nats in Dallas if I go..

What exactly is the point of the registration?

Been talking to Leonard, they have I think 3 fulltime racers with a 4th here and there, I'll be going to the club's 1st race on March 24th I believe at Legg Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    What exactly is the point of the registration?
    Nobody knows. I think once upon a time the idea was to keep from having multiple copies of the same boat in the same district. Some think its to ensure that the boats are truly scale. However, the national chair nor the district chair inspects the boat in person. You just send the form and a pic of the real boat so it can't be that.

I do know this. If you want to piss off the fuel scale guys......just suggest the registration serves no purpose.
    Noisy person

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast