Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to battle the infamous mono single torque roll?

Could it be possible your strut is slightly deviated to the left causing it to roll to the left? Perhaps, you could check if everything is nice and tightly screwed down, especially the strut.

I will double check that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    Could it be possible your strut is slightly deviated to the left causing it to roll to the left? Perhaps, you could check if everything is nice and tightly screwed down, especially the strut.

Wiggle the strut to see if there's any play and even if there isn't the transom might be a bit weak and with the force exerted on the strut when running on the water it might make it deviate to the left. In this case, any slight deviation of the strut to the left could cause the boat to roll to the left and increases at higher speeds. I'm trying to think what else it could be besides what many others already mentioned above.

i would definetly try a prop firstly.

Has the hull been blue printed? A strong hook (bottom is concave just in front of transom) can push the bow down at speeds, and if uneven can illicit this type of handling.

Lay a long straight edge along the hull fore to aft and see if it is flat all the way to the transom.
    I have righted such wrongs with bondo and sand paper.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I’d try a 1815-17-45 or a 1915-17-45
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Ehh. I take that back. Maybe a 1914-17-45 but that’s way to much rpm on 12s. That’s enough rpm to exceed 100mph with those props. One of my boats does 102 with less rpm than that. I think you have the strut too low.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

speaking to an old glow powered mono racer friend, he mentioned he had the very same issue with his small 21 glow powered mono hull where the hull would drop the port [ left ] side down and the cause of this was he was using a new octura prop for testing which was not sharpened and balanced. when this prop was found suitable for his mono he then thinned / sharpened and balanced this prop and the hull ran perfectly level from chin to chin [ port / starboard ] so spend some time on you prop and get it in perfect shape.

For me, at least with my current TFL Pursuit, with a Hobbywing 180a, Leopard 4082 1600kv on 6S, Octura 642 or 445 props, I have zero torque roll and zero chiming.

My setup is my batteries forward and low on the centerline of the hull, the ESC on the left side of the hull, along with the receiver. The weight distribution seems to work best with the heavier batteries on the center and the ESC on the left. It counteracts the torque roll perfectly while allow good balance for left and right turns.

Pursuit.jpg

I have ran 10-12 different Sharp and balanced props on this boat, all with the same affect. Rolling to the Port side at full throttle. I am going to just re-rig the boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    speaking to an old glow powered mono racer friend, he mentioned he had the very same issue with his small 21 glow powered mono hull where the hull would drop the port [ left ] side down and the cause of this was he was using a new octura prop for testing which was not sharpened and balanced. when this prop was found suitable for his mono he then thinned / sharpened and balanced this prop and the hull ran perfectly level from chin to chin [ port / starboard ] so spend some time on you prop and get it in perfect shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrods View Post
    I have ran 10-12 different Sharp and balanced props on this boat, all with the same affect. Rolling to the Port side at full throttle. I am going to just re-rig the boat.
    Have you tried changing the servo to a more robust one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    Have you tried changing the servo to a more robust one?
    I am using a Hitech Digital 5645, I would think that would work pretty well for this small of boat? I have used it on my Twin MTI and Mystic 138's.

Hotrods, it does seem that there is something not right with your hull after trying all the suggested fixes and still the same. did you try lowering the left rear trim tab down abit or raising the right trim tab ? sometimes if a hull can,t be trimming right with normal balance trimming last resorts are the above and even the strut / stinger sometimes needs to be offset to the center of transom to compensate for the prop toque. try lowering the left tab and see how the hull then planes in a straight line.

Been many suggestions here... It would appear that we all are missing some detail that would explain this strange handling behavior. The OP’s suggestion to just tear it down and re-rig seems appropriate. While doing that, I would assume nothing. Verify everything. Check the transom to make sure it’s square to the centerline of the hull. Make sure the stuffing tube is on center and runs true. Check the weight balance of the boat as key elements are installed. Treat it like a completely new build.

You may never find the root cause, it’s much like rebuilding a carburetor. You never find out why it ran rough, but rebuilding it makes it right! I don’t put all the weight down the center line, I like the batts on the outside. I have my reasons and I get very good results. But in the end, you got to do what sounds right to you... It’s your boat, and your vision will define its performance. This is a great opportunity to learn something!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12