Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 IMPBA FE Nationals - Michigan Cup

Terry:

You and your club have nothing to justify to anyone.

Hi Terry, I have to keep Iain focused as well, for Iain its all football. He got the news flash 80 is the new 60 or he won't be able to go to UofT for full ride football .
    The next level. He just turned 17 today ,so young to go to university, I kinda hope he does a victory lap! not likely, as they gave him a tour of the facility and all the perks ..... he's gone ! and he's pull'n off the marks now to get there. Stay focused Tyler its all in your hands. I'm bringing the brains next year to keep me in line, so I'm sure she will want to hear about a great school year from you.
    Cheers, Jay. race on!

Yes, many classes... It makes club racing even harder to build up. I don’t envy the sanctioning decision makers!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    It makes club racing even harder to build up. I don’t envy the sanctioning decision makers!
    For clubs the trick is first find a handful of guys that even want to race. Could be just 3 guys to get started. We had 4 I think. Although Al Waters used to say "The first race happened when the second guy showed up. The first rule...............written by the guy that lost."

Then agree on a least one class that you can all get behind. Run that every time you get together. Let the group decide what if anything is next. Kinda how we do it. The club has pushed it's way in what ever direction they wanted by building boats and talking to each other. We haven't told them what they have to do. Totally member driven. We do let them know if there is someone else talking about a boat they too are interested in. Like "Hey Terry, I'm thinking about building a P cat." I might already be aware of 4 more in the club that this guy doesn't know exist. Sounds like some heats are possible! Or the other way. We know there are zero crackerbox (for instance) in the entire district. They can still build one obviously but at least they'll do it with their eyes open. Maybe instead they'll build something there are 10 of in the club. If suddenly the gang has a flights worth of a particular class we run the heats for them. If the group produces entries for the season we offer a vote to add it into our season points series. We also have an avenue for classes to expire. If a class doesn't have enough boats for each of our club races, the following year it goes on probation. There's a magic number of entries. Can't remember the number. We'll still run it if the numbers are there one particular month but not for season points. Works pretty well over all.

Off on a tangent there but if it helps someone get going then........I don't care. haha

Sanctioned event classes aren't that bad if you have an idea who is coming. Almost every venue wiggles a bit based on their expected guests.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Benedict View Post
    Is there a reason for not having any tunnel classes on the list.
    Hi Buddy,

Not intending on derailing this thread just a FYI.

If you are into tunnels this is the race for you. Formally the World Outboard Tunnel Championship.
    Southern Tunnel Championship, May 18th – 20th. (SOWEGA) Sycamore Ga. This race attracts tunnels from all over.
    P Limited, P and Q Tunnels along with the Nitro boats.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Then agree on a least one class that you can all get behind.
    Should have said, even if that happens to be tunnels. I ain't a hater.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Hi Buddy,

Not intending on derailing this thread just a FYI.

If you are into tunnels this is the race for you. Formally the World Outboard Tunnel Championship.
    Southern Tunnel Championship, May 18th – 20th. (SOWEGA) Sycamore Ga. This race attracts tunnels from all over.
    P Limited, P and Q Tunnels along with the Nitro boats.

Doug
    Thanks for the info Doug, but that happens to be the same weekend of our first district race and i'll be working it all weekend.

Buddy

Buddy, what club are you with?

Should have said, even if that happens to be tunnels. I ain't a hater.
    Well maybe the next Nats will have tunnels.

I do have a question on the offered classes. You have "10th Scale" listed and I can't find anything in the IMPBA rule book about it. Is it a sport hydro with a scale paint job?

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Buddy, what club are you with?
    River City Racing Club Evansville Indiana

Wow!! An IMPBA National event for your club. How sad.
    Shame this conversation got negative so fast with an assumption that Terry was saying he knows what OUR club has to race and that’s the basis of the classes offered. He generally knows the individuals across the country and Canada who will attend this event and what they have to run.

I think that if handled differently you'd find that MMEU is a very accommodating bunch. If say... you were to propose that you could get together enough tunnels to travel to Michigan... Would we include tunnel in the event? I would bet that you'd been met with some hospitality and given an opportunity to be included in the event.

But as it sits... our directors, whom travel all around the country, know almost everyone who will attend this event. And know which classes can be filled. Unfortunately, tunnel isn’t one of them. That is unless someone (maybe you) steps up and says “I might be able to bring some individuals you don’t know and fill a tunnel class.”

But that also depends on being able to fit an additional class within the 3 days of racing. The venue is an Elks Lodge with residential housing sharing the pond/lake. We have 3 days of racing available. Extending out additional days of racing isn’t an option. And we have to be done on the water by a reasonable time (I think 6 to 7pm) due to the residential properties.
    Last edited by dethow; 12-05-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    Have fun with that....

As Terry said "there hasn't been an IMPBA electric nationals in well over a decade."

MAYBE the next one will include tunnels. But for right now... its a great step forward that an IMPBA electric nationals is EVEN occurring.

Much gratitude to the great bunch at MMEU for making this happen.
    Have fun with that....

I do have a question on the offered classes. You have "10th Scale" listed and I can't find anything in the IMPBA rule book about it. Is it a sport hydro with a scale paint job?
    The next Nats will offer a tunnel class. When the sign ups go up on RCracingevents, I will include Spec Tunnel as one of the classes. ALL classes will be have a 6 boat minimum and any class that doesn't have the required minimum signed up and paid for, by June 7th, will be removed from the list.

As stated on the flier the 10th Scale and Offshore rules we will be using are located here:

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...pplement-rules
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

The voice of reason. haha

Just spec tunnels? Spec, P, Q? Totally against having all three. I just don't want us to start catering to every guy that wants their pet class added for which history has shown little participation. We already have one other like that with 1/8 scale. This could (potentially) be a second. I know of 3 tunnel that will for sure be on site if we count mine. I didn't plan to race mine but it is available.

Easy enough for me to add a spec tunnel to the flier. Lynne is super accommodating too so getting it on the IMPBA site is no biggy either. Let me know if you think we should take those extra steps.
    Noisy person

It's a good thing Tom is around to take the edge off of you Terry. Shame you don't spend more time together.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    It's a good thing Tom is around to take the edge off of you Terry. Shame you don't spend more time together.
    I was the one that convinced Terry to not offer tunnel. If we offer a class and it looks like it might not make it, instead of saying, "looks like this class won't make it, 'so sad'", guys in our club have put together boats JUST to have the class run. I hate to see that happen. They bust their balls and it is so unappreciated. Tunnel is one class that fits this scenario. There might be 2 people in our club that have tunnel hulls that are near ready to run, so if there aren't at least 5 people coming with tunnel hulls it won't run.

We will also be running a "Shoot Out" format and unless there is at least 6 (7 or more is better) the format loses its appeal.

Unless of course I can run it my way .....

Yeah Doug, I think Tom added a line item to the budget for a cage to keep me in for this race.
    Noisy person

Yeah Doug, I think Tom added a line item to the budget for a cage to keep me in for this race.
    Now let me poke a stick at Terry in the cage

I may be willing to gravel a lot to add a T Class.....Howard & Pags too.
    I might even consider utilizing a pad of butter.
    Since we are talking about classes....lol
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Ill bring my T cat if that helps...

Terry mode activated....hahaha

Been there done that. We've carried the big boats many many times over the years. Heck, Dennis kinda invented the idea back before we had LiPo. We were running an "Ultimate Offshore" class before there were LiPo. Think that was what we called it all those years ago. I'm very partial to them but I can't ignore history or reality.

The problem with T is the same we have with 1/8 scale. These boats rarely get IN the water. Let alone actually racing with other boats. This is true for me too by the way. Where am I getting laps on an FE 1/8 scale?

PAGS would likely build one in the dark the night before the class runs too. We end up with untested, unproven, un-raced boats. Half of them are horrific. Some bordering on dangerously out of control. Anybody remember my T Plus being passed? Not on the inside or outside. Just over the top. Seemed legit. Some simply dont run. "I took this speedo out of my other boat between heats but I didn't change the settings" Pull the trigger.........burp*............burp*..... noth'n. ugh I know I paint a bleak picture of T boats but if you'd been trying to accommodate these larger boat classes since 1999 you might see it the way I do too.

Then.................what class? There aren't 6 big monos. There aren't 6 big cats. There aren't 6 T riggers. There aren't 6 T sports. We're just not interested in a hodge podge made up class with 3 riggers, a cat, and a couple mono.

All that said...............most of you know how much effort MMEU puts into being accommodating. Show us 6 reliable "somethings" and we'll at least have the conversation with the gang but recognize where we're at with it too please.
    Noisy person

Terry:

I can bring both a tried and true T Cat and a T Mono if needed...both have several seasons on them and are reliable.
    If it helps to make a class then great...if not, well..you know me...I'll run whatever you guys offer up as classes and be happy.

I hate when Terry is almost right. 6 reliable T anything probably not. I know over the years it's usually 3 of us in each class. All reliable though. I have raced my T Mono for almost 10 years. Gets better all the time. Just updated my reliable T hydro to a new one. 10mph faster and actually turns. Have a T cat too.
    Fingers are feeling good too after last year!

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    You don't want to do that again.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    You don't want to do that again.

Larry
    Christmas giveaway for Howard, one, ten ohm resistor.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Terry

When was the last time you held a nats? People don't travel to club races like they do the nats. Tunnel made the Vegas nats in nitro and electric. I don't think you can compare your knowledge of club races to holding a Nats.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Terry

When was the last time you held a nats? People don't travel to club races like they do the nats. Tunnel made the Vegas nats in nitro and electric. I don't think you can compare your knowledge of club races to holding a Nats.

Mark
    Hi Mark MMEU last held an FE Nats in 2014. Terry was not speaking about our experience at club races but at the Michigan Cup.

I thought that this issue was put to rest in post #43 as I said that I will be adding tunnel to the signups! also as stated in post #46 that it was I that convinced Terry to not include tunnel in the flier. So stop pestering him about this class!

Thanks, Tom

Oh I don't care about the class, I don't own a tunnel. I have the usual 4s and 6s stuff plus a T mono and T cat. I just like pestering Terry for coming out like he knows better than everybody and cut classes when all classes should be offered at a nats. Regardless of what he knows.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Terry, When was the last time you held a nats? People don't travel to club races like they do the nats. Tunnel made the Vegas nats in nitro and electric. I don't think you can compare your knowledge of club races to holding a Nats.

Oh I don't care about the class, I don't own a tunnel. I have the usual 4s and 6s stuff plus a T mono and T cat. I just like pestering Terry for coming out like he knows better than everybody and cut classes when all classes should be offered at a nats. Regardless of what he knows.

Mark
    Wow.... surprised you are saying this.
    Terry and his club have hosted hosted the FE Nat's in 2009 and 2014 at 2 different sites.....Prior to my participating in 2007
    I believe they had hosted one years prior to that as well. Likely makes them the host club of more FE Nat's than any other club.
    They also continue to host arguably the largest race of the year by attendance, the Michigan Cup, and have done so for at least
    as far back as 2012. Terry has been the lead guy or club president for every single one of them.
    Terry also served as the NAMBA FE Chairman for 10 years +.
    All this being said, pretty sure he is more knowledgeable in setting up a large National race than most of us here.
    Certainly there are classes we would all like to race there as actual active participants, but squeezing this
    event into 3 days, and taking on the first IMPBA Nat's in quite sometime is a challenge that most clubs have shied away from.
    As an active racer I am so happy an applaud the MMEU club for taking this on their shoulders.
    Yes, I would like some of the bigger class offerings, but trust we can revisit this for another year,
    if this is what Terry / Tom and the MMEU club members think is best for this year so be it.
    My son and I will definitely be there and participating either way. Probably in way too many classes as usual.....lol

I do have kind of a cynical question for everyone that has been sort of critical here....
    are you planning on attending this race and this is why you are speaking up now,
    or are you simply just throwing out these questions and harsh opinions ?

Sorry, Just my 2 cents
    Ken
    Last edited by Ken Haines; 12-12-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Thanks Ken. We hosted 05, 09, 14 and now in 18. We traveled to 06 and 10. So only 5 Nat's for me.

I think......"think".......stop laughing......that Tom and I have more exposure to national racing than most. We run 6 clubs races sure. On top of that we travel. Winter Warm ups, Spring Nationals, Can Am, 2 time trials, and our little Michigan Cup. That was 2017.

Sorry if I've offended you Mark. If there are FE guys getting around more than we are I'm unaware of them.

Tom and I disagreed on tunnel. I was going to include it just to avoid this exact debate. I expected it to not make though. Primarily because having traveled all over, I have an idea (of course I can't KNOW) who will gather up their gear and get here.

Honestly, I've achieved the same expectation of 1/8 scale. Because people that don't even own them love to see them run we kept it on the list. Hope they make but if they don't they don't.
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast