Thread: Bow Trim Tabs.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bow Trim Tabs.

I ordered a couple of hulls from DTRC to build up for next year. A 26" hull & a 33" hull.
    When I opened up the 33" box there was a little surprise molded into the starboard bow.
    It can only be described as a trim tab of some sort. I presume it is to help keep the nose up and/or reduce drag on the bow in the turns.
    I assume it is an attempt to help prevent hooking & spin outs from bow steering in the turns.
    I was mainly just wondering if an of you guys have seen or used this type of thing in the past. It's the first time I've seen it.

Looks mainly like a European/Asian type of thing for their mono1 & mono2 classes. I have noticed in a lot of their videos that they seem to run the hulls very wet which can cause bow steering.

Just curious that's all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are not Naviga race boats, it has been quite a few years since a hull like plain deep V hull like that has been competitive for most usual water conditions, nearly all the monos we use have steps.

I have occasionally seen tuning devices like that on Eco boats (which run the CoG further forward than surface drive monos) but they are definitely not Eco hulls, and I have never seen one moulded in. Most boat makers would fix the reason why the hull needs it in the next revision, rather than make the band aid permanent.

They look like they could be more DF splashes to me, maybe it is forward far enough that it does nothing, and is just there as an easy way to say it is a modification, not a splash in order to circumvent a copyright claim.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    They look like they could be more Df splashes to me, maybe it is forward far enough that it does nothing, and is just there to circumvent a copyright claim.
    I was just thinking that they are pretty far forward that if it would make any difference at all. Then I didn't think about any copyright infringement and trying to circumvent that either. .perhaps you're right Paul. Nonetheless, 785, we would appreciate it when you do get it all set up and running would you kindly give us a followup on this little mod and if it made any difference or made the boat behave in a certain way? I've always wanted to try one of the DTRC hulls, particularly in the 30" plus perhaps like the one you have there. Although, I've never seen that particular design/color, but I've seen the white 33" mono and I've always been interested in trying their monos and hydros/cats. I've always seen them on eBay and Aliexpress/Toucan Hobby and they seem to look nice but never heard much about them. So I wanted to give it a try. So now that I know they have that mod I can wait until I hear some feedback from you. Thanks

I would of thought this wedge being that far forward was possibly to help keep the bow higher in right hand turns & also to stop the boat from hooking & spinning out. As said they normally use these wedges on Eco & FSRV class boat both of those are sub surface drive boats. Most of Dave Marles ( Prestwich models )FSRV hulls use theses wedges moulded in.

Cool

Martin, as I recall most of Dave’s hulls with the wedge have them in the back half of the hull, as in the Pegasus Evo and Ikarus. Don’t remember them as far forward as the OP’s hull, same idea though.

54D266C5-533B-4052-9460-98AE68C54478.jpeg
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Martin, as I recall most of Dave’s hulls with the wedge have them in the back half of the hull, as in the Pegasus Evo and Ikarus. Don’t remember them as far forward as the OP’s hull, same idea though.

54D266C5-533B-4052-9460-98AE68C54478.jpeg
    I spoke to Dave Marles this afternoon about the wedges on his FSVR hulls & this is what he said. it is part of the torque correction, an FSVR hull is actually asymmetric, the left side is different to the right side.
    I would imagine that the wedges fitted further forward on the deep v hull of the OP was to stop the torque affecting the boat going into turns by keeping the bow from hooking.

Yes all of the FSRV hulls have the wedge much further back than on the hull that the op has, which is why the wedge on the op hull is probably their for a different reason to on the FSRV hulls.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. All interesting thoughts. Much appreciated.
    It will be a while before I get them built, but I will follow up on it & post whatever results I find.

Bp9145.
    Here's the site with most of the DTRC hulls & boats together.
    Be warned though they are pretty thin Vinyl-ester hulls.
    And a lot of the smaller hulls are stepped bottom which will not be allowed to race in America or here in Australia. That's if you were thinking of racing.
    They answered my emails very promptly when I asked about one of them.

http://stores.ebay.com/color-never-f...=p4634.c0.m322

Stop the nose from stuffing in a corner wave?
    Nortavlag Bulc

That was my first thought too Ray.

I will just say guys, that the tab is far enough back, that when the hull is on the table, laying over on the chine, the bottom of the tab touches the table too.
    Attached Images Attached Images