Thread: pursuit motor suggestions

Default pursuit motor suggestions

just got a hobbyking pursuit . it has that 1620kv motor . i know it has limitations . i may try it but i know i will want more from this boat .
    that said what would you seasoned boaters suggest?

i want it to go 50 mph or better .i have other boats that go 50 so it needs to do at least that to stay in the "fun zone" for me .
    running 1 lipo would be nice . say a 4s . i have a flycolor 150 esc in it to get me going .

when ose has their version of the pursuit for sale i see they run the 4082 2200kv motor .is that the optimum choice for 4s running? can i get 50 mph with that setup?

my other 50 mph boats run dual 3s (6s) setups .so i could go that way as well . so many choices . want to make the right one .

so the lipo runs in that tray ahead of the motor eh? doesnt that make the boat plow??

You can probably get to 50 MPH on 4 cells with some trial and error. 2200kv is the sweet spot for this hull. I get 46 with 4S2P batteries and an Octura M445 prop. And, I am not a super tuner. A bigger prop and lighter battery would help to go faster. Suggest you get the longer 92mm motor, to handle the load. Will take some adjusting to keep it upright at that speed.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

I run a TP 4050 2050kv in my pursuit, currently it is running an OSE raider esc, but had a v2 T-180 in it previously. On 4s 2p with a d/t x447/3 it set a 2-lap sprint record of 30.2 sec, and our ovals are a little bit longer overall than in the US. Normal racing is usually 442,443,445, 447 or prather 225 depending on water conditions and who I am racing, normal racing is 4s 1p. 50 + mph is no problem to the Pursuit when it is dialed in.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

ose has motors in stock now .so help me out here . gonna stick with 6s setups(2-3s) so i dont have to go buying tons of different lipos .
    that said most are running 1600 kv leopard 4082 . that a good setup for 6s running? and a prop?
    x/m 445?
    any benefit to more kv? like a 1800?
    what about lipo placement?? should i just run both 3s stacked in the standard front mounted location? or that be too heavy?

i could buy lipo trays and run them on the sides of the hull .

so i went with a leo 4082-x2 1600 kv and a ose s&b x645 and a kintec one piece flex . my best speed so far 57.4 mph .
    motor temp 110 or less ,esc 135 on the sink and 150 on the caps ,thats after 2 runs .
    i just turned the timing down to 11.25 and raised the stinger a little when i achieved the 57.4 speed.

prior to that my first run was timing 15 degrees and stinger as it came from hk .

i can make a few full throttle passes before lvc kicks in ,when it does i just let the boat rest until the lipos recover and full speed operation kicks back in . i get a solid 5 minutes run time and lipos come in at 30 percent ,thats perfect . the lvc is doing its job .i have it set at 3.2 .

heres a video . special treat at the end for those who watch until then end .
    ps- if you want to hear the motor turn your sound way up .my cam is in a waterproof case and doesnt pick up sound well.

private image upload

i have changed the routing of the cooling lines on motor can since this picture . to the correct way .

What lipos are you using?

my best run was on turnigy heavy duty 3s 5000 60c . my other lipos are gens ace 3s 5000 50c and one set of floureon 3s 5500 40c . the floureons are right up there with gens ace ,in fact they usually do a hair better then the gens .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

I think you are maxed out in that configuration. I am surprised that the boat is stable at that speed. Was it going 57 in the video? I have an extra Pursuit in the box that I would like to set up that way.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

it was going 56.1 in that video and the next run was 57.4

its very stable actually ,compared to my spartan that chine walks badly at that speed . theres a little room to prop up . i could probably see 60 .the motor stays cooler then the esc .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

hit the 57.4 in this video but i had a rudder issue later in the run . a grub screw came loose and left me with no rudder control .

TFL Pursuit hitting 65,46 mph

My setup is described below the video. Have several videoes of the Pursuit. One of the best hulls ever made. I believe this hull can handle 70mph with no issues. But then You would have to go bigger than 180a ESC. My motor was almost ice cold when hitting 65mph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rYQoKxNJw0
    Here's with 2 bladed prop, hitting 62 mph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEGy3KTecOk

In both videos, the run time is approx 8 minutes :)

great runs . thanks for sharing

Check this out. 75 mph with Pursuit :p
    Enjoy: https://youtu.be/P7KSjBjxSu8

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I think you are maxed out in that configuration. I am surprised that the boat is stable at that speed. Was it going 57 in the video? I have an extra Pursuit in the box that I would like to set up that way.
    No, he's not. I'm at 75 mph, and still gonna try some more
    Video: https://youtu.be/P7KSjBjxSu8