Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New C5000 build from scratch

Post New C5000 build from scratch

Hello all,

A couple of months ago I posted a topic on this forum because I was all confused about possible motor/ESC combinations for my latest project. (that topic can be found here: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...e-Current-Draw)

Anyway, somewhere in that topic I was asked by another forum member if I would take pictures of the build and share it here on the forum. So, here we go.

For starters, I live in Belgium (Europe) so forgive me for some grammatical errors I will possibly make in this build log, because english in not my native language. Other then that, I hope you enjoy my pictures as much as I enjoy my build. Oh btw, I'm a slow builder, the pictures I will post today are work done over the last 12 months !!

So welcome all to my build log of the scratch build C5000 I'm currently doing.

It all started about a year ago. A friend of mine who came over for dinner was talking about some offshore races he had seen while he lived/worked in Australia a few year earlier. When I showed him my first cat (a wood build 36" simple catamaran model) he almost immediately asked me if I was willing to build one for him as well.

As it happens to be, I had some plans of a C5000 laying around (I believe they where once posted on this forum as well) which I had always wanted to build anyway, so I quickly agreed to his proposal, and decided I wanted to build at least 2 boats: one for my friend, but off course also one for myself.

Building 2 boats also meant that I would be doing this build a little different... I did not want to build 2 separate wood boats covered with a layer of fiberglass, but instead I decided to build a master plug which would allow me to create a mold, so that I could in turn create full fiberglass (or carbon) hulls.

First step was to check the digital drawings I had, make sure they were the right scale for me, and have them lasercut for me.

Here are all the lasercut parts for this project, allowing me the build the plug:
    plug01.jpg

First step was to glue the long pieces together. I think it's called keel frame or something? Anyway, those were made up of 3 parts which had to be glued on top of each other. I used a long aluminum level and some scrape wood material to clamp them together and make sure they were perfectly straight.
    plug02.jpg plug03.jpg

After this, I trail fitted all the frames without using any glue, to make sure everything would fit:
    plug04.jpg plug05.jpg plug06.jpg

In order to build a perfectly straight hull, I cut a piece of MDF board to the exact width of the tunnel, so that I could clamp both keel halves against this board. This will assure a straight and aligned placement of all the frames:
    plug07.jpg plug08.jpg

With both keel parts clamped together, I started to glue all the frames in place.
    plug09.jpg plug10.jpg plug11.jpg plug12.jpg

Then I glued the top deck in place, while everything was still clamped together to the MDF board. That way, the hull would not warp are get deformed while putting the deck on.
    plug13.jpg

Then I turned things upside down, to glue some 1mm airplane ply on the bottom of the sponsons:
    plug14.jpg

I also glued the bottom of the aft part in place:
    plug15.jpg

After this, I also covered all other "open" areas of the hull. Sides, front, rear, tunnel bottom etc....
    plug16.jpg plug17.jpg plug18.jpg plug19.jpg plug20.jpg

With the hull completely covered, the next step was to add a layer or 2 with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. This does not only give added strength, but also allows for smooth finishing used polyester putty (and a lot of sanding off course)
    plug22.jpg plug23.jpg plug24.jpg

And finally the hull already covered with a first (of many!) layer of polyester putty:
    plug25.jpg

In the meantime, I also started to construction of the canopy.
    First a created a rough shape using some basic frames:
    plug_c01.jpg

Then I used some small balsa beams to create a basic canopy shape:
    plug_c02.jpg

After that I filled the entire thing with PU Foam:
    plug_c03.jpg

Then I cut away all excess PU, and sanded in shape:
    plug_c04.jpg

And finally, I applied a very generous amount of polyester putty:
    plug_c05.jpg

Then, after sanding, this is the result:
    plug_c06.jpg

I also put on a first layer of primer to see what imperfections are still left:
    plug_c07.jpg

Next step I glued the canopy in place on the hull, and determined where I should cut the opening for the hatch.
    canopy_01.jpg canopy_02.jpg

Here is the canopy and hatch removed from the hull. I added some balsa beams around for added strength, and also that I could finish the sides of the hatch opening. Again I added some putty to create a smooth transition from the canopy to the hatch, and finish of the sides.
    canopy_03.jpg canopy_04.jpg

Then I fitted some thin plastic spacers around the hatch, and inserted it into the hull opening. The plastic serves as a way to keep a proper distance between the hatch opening and the hatch cover, and keep both perfectly aligned. I then glued some airplane ply against the hull opening which will become the edge of the hatch opening.
    canopy_05.jpg canopy_06.jpg canopy_07.jpg

Then I sanded the ply flush with the deck, and inserted some MDF boards in the opening. These will later serve as a flange for the mold.
    canopy_08.jpg canopy_09.jpg

Fitting the hatch into place (without and with spray putty on below pictures)
    canopy_10.jpg canopy_11.jpg

With the hatch/canopy finished, I put everything an an MDF board, to that I will have flanges sticking around my hatch. These will serve for the creation of the mold.
    I also put a primer and paint coat on it.
    canopy_12.jpg canopy_13.jpg canopy_14.jpg

By this time, I already bought some hardware, so that I could trail fit some of those parts. Would want to end up with a full fiberglass or carbon hull only to find out that neither the rudder or driveshafts would fit...

Trail fitting the rudder and shafts:
    fitting_01.jpg fitting_02.jpg fitting_03.jpg

In the end I wasn't happy with the "tail" on my hull (rudder support part) because it didn't align with the mounting bracket of the rudder. So I modified this tail to align is with the rudder bracket.
    fitting_04.jpg

Because I will be making a mold later, which will be a 2-part mold, I need somehow be able to "split" the hull in 2 parts. This is done by adding a flange around the hull which serves as a divider between the upper and lower half of the hull. I've already started the creation of this divider.

First, I added some rudimentary cut pieces of particle board on a building board. On top of those particle board pieces a applied a very generous amount of silicone, topped of with a piece of plastic cut from a waste bag (to keep the hull from being permanently glued to the board...)
    flens_01.jpg flens_02.jpg

Next I cut some wood pieces with the required height to position the flange/divider on the correct position
    flens_03.jpg

Then I drew the outline of the hull on a thin MDF board, and cut it out. This was then screwed into position on the previously mounted wood pieces.
    flens_04.jpg flens_05.jpg flens_06.jpg flens_07.jpg

Some more pictures of the hull:
    hull_01.jpg hull_02.jpg hull_03.jpg hull_04.jpg

2 detail pictures of the aft end of the hull. At first, I created some sort of raised supports (like on the real Mystic) but they were to height for the drive shaft, so I removed them and created the end the resemble the aft part of an HPR hull a little more
    hull_05.jpg hull_06.jpg

By now it was time to start with the construction of the lifting strakes. I first cut some wood beam at a correct angle using a table saw.
    hull_07.jpg hull_08.jpg hull_09.jpg

Again polyester putty and sanding was used to get a smooth result.
    hull_10.jpg hull_11.jpg hull_12.jpg

On the front of the hull the lifting strakes get narrower and aren't so easily shaped. I no longer used the wood I cut with the table saw, but instead opted to sculpt the front parts using polyested putty instead.
    hull_13.jpg hull_14.jpg

Then I applied a layer of spray putty over the entire hull. This will off course fill the very small imperfections (scratches) but the even colored coat will also allow better inspection of any other areas that require extra sanding or putty....
    hull_15.jpg hull_16.jpg hull_17.jpg

These are actually pictures from last night. So, after 12 months of building, this is the result. Almost done I think. Maybe one may layer of primer, some putty and sanding where required, before the hull (plug actually) will be finished. After that I can start with the mold creation!

Wow, amazing work.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Very nice.

Great work. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I always love watching a few bits of timber grow into a boat.

brilliant work

Fabulous construction You were a great craftsman.

Hello again!

So finally after 6 months I have come back to provide you all with an update on this build (Yes, I did already mention in my very first post that my build are slow!)

First I would like to show you some additional pictures on the build of the plug (original model)

After fitting my driveshafts to the hull, to make sure they would fit the final model, I noticed the transom wasn't completely perpendicular. So I first had to correct this issue, by gluing a thin piece of airplane plane to the transom and filling the space with filler.

hull_18.jpg hull_19.jpg hull_20.jpg hull_21.jpg

After that, it was time to put a final layer of primer paint on the hull, followed by a layer of high glossy paint.

hull_22.jpg hull_23.jpg hull_24.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast