Thread: Gas Hulls that Fit the Nitro/FE IMPBA Specs

Default Gas Hulls that Fit the Nitro/FE IMPBA Specs

Hi Guys,

I am working to help out a friend that wants to power a GAS sized hull with a FE set up (8S)... I am not here to start a pissing match about gas vs. nitro rules. What gas sport hydro hulls fit within the IMPBA nitro/FE hull rules? Specifically, I am thinking the rules listed below:

f. The forward riding surfaces will be located within 50 and 60 percent forward of the transom for the overall hull length and measured at a 90 degree perpendicular to the hull center line.

g. Picklefork hulls shall not have open areas ahead of the forward riding surfaces totaling more than 25% of the total hull length. No other hull vent(s) are allowed.

h. The width of the bottom of the transom must be 65% or more of the width between the forward riding surfaces. On a shovelnose hull that has a tapered transom bottom the 65% rule will apply to the hull bottom at a point three a one half inches forward of the transom.

I should also state he is looking for a glass and/or carbon layup. He's not interested in a wood kit. Does the Whiplash GV work?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by longballlumber; 11-10-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Mike, i am not familuar with impba rules but those rules you have listed are not for 1/8 scale hydros are they ? also how about the Insane Gas sport Hydros ? all fibreglass and quick boats.

I forgot about taking in account the length restrictions for IMPBA

Q- >34 to 40"

S- >40 to 50"

T- >48 to 60"

I am going to change my original post to suggest an 8S boat. This will include most Gas Sport Hydros. This brings me to 2 questions;

* Are there any molded sport hydros in the 40" to 50" range that meet the transom width rule?
    * Are there any molded sport hydro hulls in the 48" to 50" range for sale and are HIGH performing?

Mark F's SpeedFreak Hull (on 10S) He's run it all the way up to 20S

10S:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymR2CwxM-No

16S (turn up the volume forthis :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ti0-FqHesY

On 20 cells
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8jtNPcfnEs
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hey Mike,
    Aside from the rules, I will say the whip GV is incredibly hard to build as an FE. So are most of the Insane boats. The small hatch opening for the gas motors makes it a pain to configure.

I did run a Hyperformance Gas Thunderboat as an FE and did need to modify the transom per NAMBA rules to make it legal but this was just a matter of filling in the chamfers at the corners. It was quite easy to build and ran decently.

I would look at the Gas Thunderboat's available as better options. Maybe also consider a fiberglass or carbon Velasco 1/8 scale hull from the trained glue monkey in Oregon.
    I can send you pics if you need ideas.

Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Aeromarine have a couple of nice sport hydros done in fibreglass, 43 inch Chaos / 45 inch Thunderbolt.

The reason I ran a speedfreek sport hydro is because it was the only one I could find at the time with an inclosed cowl. That's one of the issues if you want to run a gas sport hydro. Cats and monos can be found with enclosed cowls much easier. Here is my Insane mono that runs on 10s.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

that hull really reminds me of the TwinCraft Mono. those Aeromarine sport hydros mentioned seem to have suitable cowls for electric mod water proofing.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Hey Mike,
    Aside from the rules, I will say the whip GV is incredibly hard to build as an FE. So are most of the Insane boats. The small hatch opening for the gas motors makes it a pain to configure.

I did run a Hyperformance Gas Thunderboat as an FE and did need to modify the transom per NAMBA rules to make it legal but this was just a matter of filling in the chamfers at the corners. It was quite easy to build and ran decently.

I would look at the Gas Thunderboat's available as better options. Maybe also consider a fiberglass or carbon Velasco 1/8 scale hull from the trained glue monkey in Oregon.
    I can send you pics if you need ideas.

Tyler
    Thanks for the reply Tyler.

My concern on the Whip GV was the same as you have stated about room. The only reason I was eying the Gas Whip was the Transom Width. I am pretty sure it will fit the rules.

I was thinking about one of Phils 8255 scale hulls, but completely forgot about the "trained glue monkey" ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    The reason I ran a speedfreek sport hydro is because it was the only one I could find at the time with an inclosed cowl. That's one of the issues if you want to run a gas sport hydro. Cats and monos can be found with enclosed cowls much easier. Here is my Insane mono that runs on 10s.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

The objective is to run a sport hydro at a sanctioned IMPBA event so it needs to meet the transom width rule and because of length run on 8S.

Do you still have the hull? If so are you able to confirm it fits the rules listed above?
    Is there a website that sells these SpeedFreak hulls?
    Because of length he would be limited to 8S; do you think 8S would push one of these boats to competitive speeds?

Thanks for the help!

I have a fresh AC Boats Edge hydro at home Mike, i can measure it up for you tomorrow (as I’m outta town till tonight). I am fairly certain Andy could punch one out for you.

I bought that hull almost 8 years ago and sold it 3 years later. I don't even know if they are in business still. At the saw event I ran a 105 mph pass with the boat and was technically the first person to get a sport hydro over the 100 mph mark. Most of the big boats out there are for gas and meet all gas rules so why worry about rules for boats that might not exist. Are any vendors here in the US selling race boats that don't meet IMPBA specs? Getting all your equipment in while still getting the boat to balance and still be able to tape up is the hard part and if anyone finds one that works for us, I will be interested in one as well.

Mark

I bought that hull almost 8 years ago and sold it 3 years later. I don't even know if they are in business still. At the saw event I ran a 105 mph pass with the boat and was technically the first person to get a sport hydro over the 100 mph mark. Most of the big boats out there are for gas and meet all gas rules so why worry about rules for boats that might not exist. Are any vendors here in the US selling race boats that don't meet IMPBA specs? Getting all your equipment in while still getting the boat to balance and still be able to tape up is the hard part and if anyone finds one that works for us, I will be interested in one as well.

Mark
    I appreciate your input Mark. I want to hear from guys who have actually "done it" and you have actually done it!

As far as the IMPBA and sport hyrdos go; most current GAS sport hydro hulls don't fit the Nitro/FE rules when it comes to ratio of transom width to sponson tunnel width (modified rigger) hahaha. So IMO the struggle is real. there are very few production hulls in the 40"-60" range that are legal in the sport hydro class. Not to mention the length limits vs. cell count.

Mike,
    Give me a call over the weekend. I have a couple ideas for you.

The 1/8 Velasco is one option, I also have Henry's gas sport molds that may be a better option.

Talk soon,
    Glue Monkey
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I have a fresh AC Boats Edge hydro at home Mike, i can measure it up for you tomorrow (as I’m outta town till tonight). I am fairly certain Andy could punch one out for you.
    0FB5407A-FECA-473F-B118-360AC485D29F.jpg507C90B6-58E6-4FC1-894D-B05CB1C4AE0E.jpg823DA85F-714A-4969-9291-4245C9F85838.jpg

52200641-9DD1-4AE3-A440-A6EDF202A5D4.jpg

Total hull length is 46”

Whats the cowl look like srislash?

mark

Whats the cowl look like srislash?

mark
    IMG_2087[1].jpgIMG_2088[1].jpgIMG_2089[1].jpg

huge room and easily taped. One may want to web or structurally reinforce the cowl for SAW

Nice looking hydro, but I see the back is open. But shouldn't be a problem to fill in.

Mark

Nice looking hydro, but I see the back is open. But shouldn't be a problem to fill in.

Mark
    Yes I am thinking some veneer CF I have here. I have a 1527 1y here or a 2028. With the 1527 I think I can keep it at just over 15lbs with 9000mah of 8s. But maybe 7s would be a good route.