Thread: TFL 1138 Caudwell F1 boat

Default TFL 1138 Caudwell F1 boat

Hi everyone; am air and Surface Old but New at water surface. anyway i just Purchase a TFL 1138 Caudwell F-1 and this are the Specs.
    Motor: 2960/2881KV Brushless
    Boat Size 29'' 750mm RC 70A ESC
    Motor brand = SSS
    Recommended Battery: 11.1V 4400Hah 25C.
    Am planning to Replace the Stock esc with a OSE-150a Esc , Now am assuming that the Stock SSS motor is Rated 11.1V only, (am the Second person to have one of this boat in Bx.NY.) so i will like to hear from you guys on any motor on the 28mm. size Recomedation so i can use 4 or 5s lipo on it. (like i said before it most be on 28 mm. diameter, other wise i will have to Replace motor mount and fiver glass standoff) Any input Will be Appreciate.,
    and Thanks.

how'd i miss this?
    anyways There is not too many motors for the fitment size to the motor mount ring (i purchased a spare drive for my EMEC). Marine FE has different SSS KV's in the 29mm size and HobbyKing has Dr. Thrust motors that are used for EDF's that fit, and TP 29XX SERIES 20-30-35 and 40 and i'll be looking into CC here shortly. some of these motors supposedly will handle 6S, i won't go over 5S.
    sorry this a tad late but it's for others also that may have questions. mine is finished and soon to arrive can't wait when i get head to to head pics with my Stiletto,
    TH's if i had to pick a favorite for hull designs, Fighter Jets on water.

I have a Tenshock F1 which is 700 MM. THe TFL Caulwell is 750 MM.
    I recommend using a sliding battery tray. It is a far better way to dial in the ballance.
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=mbp-cnc4960

As for the motor, mine came with a Tenshock VZ-1530, 3100 KV motor, Diameter:29mm Length:48mm . It came with a 70 A ESC. The hull runs great. I mod the cooling for a in hull pickup, had good flow. The hull has more speed in it, but the motor and controller dont. I had it going about 40-45 mph. I smoked the controller last week. I was running a 36mm, 1.5 pitch prop. I got lucky, and it was only the controller and motor that went. The rest of the equipment is fine.

I don't recommend going over 3S on the motor. It cant really handel it and its easy for the current to spike, smoking your controller or worse. That motor is rated at 60K RPM, but that is with no load. 39K RPM is a the practical limit of these sorts of motors, until you jump to Neu, TP, or a larger jump to LMT motors.
    If you want more speed, it would be better to go to a higher voltage system, with a lower KV motor. I plan on replacing my motor with something a little bigger, and in the 1700-1800 KV range. I will be running it on 6S, 2500 mAh.
    Last edited by larryrose11; 08-18-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Quote Originally Posted by larryrose11 View Post
    I have a Tenshock F1 which is 700 MM. THe TFL Caulwell is 750 MM.
    I recommend using a sliding battery tray. It is a far better way to dial in the ballance.
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=mbp-cnc4960

As for the motor, mine came with a Tenshock VZ-1530, 3100 KV motor, Diameter:29mm Length:48mm . It came with a 70 A ESC. The hull runs great. I mod the cooling for a in hull pickup, had good flow. The hull has more speed in it, but the motor and controller dont. I had it going about 40-45 mph. I smoked the controller last week. I was running a 36mm, 1.5 pitch prop. I got lucky, and it was only the controller and motor that went. The rest of the equipment is fine.

I don't recommend going over 3S on the motor. It cant really handel it and its easy for the current to spike, smoking your controller or worse. That motor is rated at 60K RPM, but that is with no load. 39K RPM is a the practical limit of these sorts of motors, until you jump to Neu, TP, or a larger jump to LMT motors.
    If you want more speed, it would be better to go to a higher voltage system, with a lower KV motor. I plan on replacing my motor with something a little bigger, and in the 1700-1800 KV range. I will be running it on 6S, 2500 mAh.
    there doesn't seem too many motors this size, i was thinking making an adapter plate for the 2nd Drive Sysytem i purchased on ebay. the battery tray i'd fab one myself with materials i have about.
    what motors do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwet View Post
    there doesn't seem too many motors this size, i was thinking making an adapter plate for the 2nd Drive Sysytem i purchased on ebay. the battery tray i'd fab one myself with materials i have about.
    what motors do you recommend?
    That depend on what will fit.
    You can use the same ring mount, but will have to file the mount holes into slots, so you can make fine adjustments. Im in the same boat here (pun intended) with the 45 degree drive.
    What size motor? Its a matter of clearance. WHat I did, was stack coins, held in place with tape, to the back of my motor until i could not close the hatch.

pull the motor out, and measure it

So, 64MM is the max I can fit in the Tenshock F1. Yours may be different.
    So, I will purchase this TP motor: 2935.
    http://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/bui...series/tp-2935
    I will probably go with a 7Y, 1930 KV
    Last edited by larryrose11; 08-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.

That depend on what will fit.
    You can use the same ring mount, but will have to file the mount holes into slots, so you can make fine adjustments. Im in the same boat here (pun intended) with the 45 degree drive.
    What size motor? Its a matter of clearance. WHat I did, was stack coins, held in place with tape, to the back of my motor until i could not close the hatch.

pull the motor out, and measure it

So, 64MM is the max I can fit in the Tenshock F1. Yours may be different.
    So, I will purchase this TP motor: 2935.
    http://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/bui...series/tp-2935
    I will probably go with a 7Y, 1930 KV
    That's a lot of coins, i'd rather use them for purchasing other items instead
    ok i'm done laughing, that's a great idea and thanx for the heads up on it. fully adjustable. be cool to fab one like the old collapsible style cup like an antenna. ideas are every where.

Thanks, I try to be practical.
    I decided that the 7Y was just a bit too high KV, so I ended up with the 8Y, 1680 KV. I will be running on 6S.
    It is a 1300 watt motor
    1300/(6*3.7) = 58.55 Amps
    I need a proper controller for it.
    Last edited by larryrose11; 08-22-2018 at 01:13 PM.

I have a Tenshock F1....
    Hi Larry-

I'm curious how you like your Tenshock? I've been looking at getting one myself.

Do you run yours much? And how has your hull held up? I've seen posts saying it is quite thin - perhaps too thin? What is your opinion on this?

Seems like a very quick boat on 3S power - which would make it economical to run as a "fun" boat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Hi Larry-

I'm curious how you like your Tenshock? I've been looking at getting one myself.
    Do you run yours much? And how has your hull held up? I've seen posts saying it is quite thin - perhaps too thin?
    What is your opinion on this?
    Seems like a very quick boat on 3S power - which would make it economical to run as a "fun" boat as well.
    I had the Tenshock version. It was smaller, and the hull was quite thin. I got rid of it. The issue I had was:
    1. Lots of stress cracks in the hull.
    2. The Tenshock vesion kept breaking drive cables. They were 2.3 mm cable on a 4 mm threaded stub shaft.

I have an extra TFL Drive, and I was thinking of getting a bare TFL Hull.
    The TFL Drives are much nicer than the Tenshock ones. The TFL Cables are 3.2 mm, and have a teflon liner. You could remove it, and put a larger cable in if it breaks.
    I opted for a 1600 KV, 6s setup. Lower current helps motors run cooler.
    The boat I had was a blast to drive. The self righting feature meant you could run it a bit looser, and hence faster.

Get the TFL Version.
    Get the hull from TFL, and the Drive here from OSE. use an ESC you have around.

Thanks, Larry - I really appreciate the help.

I just looked at that TFL boat, but do not think it has a self-righting feature. For where I will be running this boat, at this point that's a requirement for me. Do you know if the TFLs are made in North America or overseas?

Would you be aware of any other tunnels that are self-right? I came across the Proboat Valvryn -which sounds like it's a hoot once you add the OSE outboard drive- but these were discontinued quite a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Thanks, Larry - I really appreciate the help.

I just looked at that TFL boat, but do not think it has a self-righting feature. For where I will be running this boat, at this point that's a requirement for me.
    here is a video of the self righting feature:
    https://youtu.be/wuP-gaYtxuc?t=86

TFL Says the hull is undrilled, so the bare hull may need a mod to retain that feature. Specifically the big vents you can see at the back of the sponsons, and small vents at the front and sides. Getting the balance right is important to have the self righting feature work well. I suggest a battery slider tray to help with that.