Thread: battery tap extension wires?

Default battery tap extension wires?

Id like to charge my packs in the boat. Now before everyone goes crazy, Im aware some people recommended against this.

So my question is, is it possible to buy very long battery tap extension cables? Say 2 feet?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I squared R losses?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, Will it effect just charging?
    Steven Vaccaro

I've seen 12" balance plug extension cables for sale, but have never used them myself.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Steven Vaccaro

In support of Steven’s plan to charge packs in the boat, I haven’t removed a pack just to to charge it at the pond in years. But, I make certain of several things.

- I don’t buy cheap packs.
    - I don’t use cheap chargers.
    - I use external balancers on the packs to keep cell voltages within 0.02 volts. (Most of my packs balance to less than 0.008 volts)
    - if a pack ever shows a balance range greater than 0.03 volts I do not run it.
    - I don’t rely on the automatic balance attachment on the charger, I have seen them fail to keep cells in a pack within the narrow range I prefer.
    - I don’t over-discharge packs past 20% remaining charge.

I don’t recommend this technique to others, but following these steps I have never had packs burn etc. in any of my boats. Can’t say the same for some others I know who always remove packs for charging. Safety isn’t just relying on a technology which is supposed to protect us.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    In support of Steven’s plan to charge packs in the boat, I haven’t removed a pack just to to charge it at the pond in years. But, I make certain of several things.

- I don’t buy cheap packs.
    - I don’t use cheap chargers.
    - I use external balancers on the packs to keep cell voltages within 0.02 volts. (Most of my packs balance to less than 0.008 volts)
    - if a pack ever shows a balance range greater than 0.03 volts I do not run it.
    - I don’t rely on the automatic balance attachment on the charger, I have seen them fail to keep cells in a pack within the narrow range I prefer.
    - I don’t over-discharge packs past 20% remaining charge.

I don’t recommend this technique to others, but following these steps I have never had packs burn etc. in any of my boats. Can’t say the same for some others I know who always remove packs for charging. Safety isn’t just relying on a technology which is supposed to protect us.

Jay by external balancer do you mean something like the Hyperion EOS Sentry? If yes, Ive never used the balance function before.
    Steven Vaccaro

I have built packs into riggers before and used 10" extensions with no issues, I wouldn't foresee any issues with 2'. You will loose a little voltage down the wires but my (and most) chargers will only ballance at 300mA, so probably not enough to worry about depending on the charger, I wouldnt like to use one of the chargers that supply the charge current though the ballance taps rather than the power leads with very long extensions though.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Jay by external balancer do you mean something like the Hyperion EOS Sentry? If yes, Ive never used the balance function before.
    Yes Steven, those are exactly the ones I use. I plug them in after I put the pack in storage voltage (3.85 volts) until they are balanced, the Sentrys shut off around 0.008 volts so you can leave them plugged in without risk of over-discharging. Frankly with most of my packs I only have to balance them occasionally to keep them within 0.02 volts.

I think that the long leads will work given the very low amperage applied. I have used 4” extensions in the past without issues.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Been doing it for years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post

Cool.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I spoke to the guys at FMA, they said they have tested up to 39" without issues.

What im doing is going to all new chargers. right now I have 3 diff chargers. hyperion, ultra, icharger. supporting myself and two sons at a race is crazy with the 3 diff chargers, so Im trying to simplify things. 1 type of charger that we all learn and keeping packs with the hulls should stop some confusion.
    Steven Vaccaro

I have just moved to all ISDT Q6 plus chargers. I might make a box for them and power supply.

I like them for their small size and weight as well as upgrade of firmware. Displays are nice too, lots of nice features.
    Nortavlag Bulc