Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P offshore club heat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default P offshore club heat

Heart of Texas Model Boat Club does it again: demonstrates why grown men gather at a body of water to remotely steer toy boats round and round an oval.

https://youtu.be/ypR_jnfdSlM

The finish is true HOTMBC style!!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Nice finish!

Sounds like the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

can someone tell me the motors in these boats, and is this class a full P class

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    Yes, this is unlimited p offshore. Well, I am using in my H&M super cat, a nue 1521 1.5D motor, t180 v2 and 4s2p turnigy heavy duty 5000 packs, with a detongued x452 that I b/S. I suspect that Jim is running one as well, but unsure of Charles and brandy.

We most definitely missed our Jay T, and now that it is stated that it is only a 400 mile drive, I don't know if we can forgive him for not making the drive!?!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Yes, this is unlimited p offshore. Well, I am using in my H&M super cat, a nue 1521 1.5D motor, t180 v2 and 4s2p turnigy heavy duty 5000 packs, with a detongued x452 that I b/S. I suspect that Jim is running one as well, but unsure of Charles and brandy.

We most definitely missed our Jay T, and now that it is stated that it is only a 400 mile drive, I don't know if we can forgive him for not making the drive!?!
    thank you sir for your reply, as I needed to know motor choice for my seaducer mono 33" sd3 I'm waiting on now

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    My boat (fast but loose) is running 4S2P with a Neu 1527-1D driven by a Castle HV-200 esc and an ABC 42x55 prop. The hull is an Aeromarine Titan 33.

Seems like someone was missing

Cool finish 'tho
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Seems like someone was missing

Cool finish 'tho
    Well, Jay T has retired to Arizona. Otherwise, I am sure he would’ve been in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jevmax View Post
    Well, Jay T has retired to Arizona. Otherwise, I am sure he would’ve been in this one.
    I talked to Pat Mc D last week. He told me. Gee, AZ is only 400 miles away......
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Nice!!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Racing's so fun. Every pond that has a close heat has grown men laughing at the end. Next time someone hints that you spend too much money on toys......show them one of these vids. Priceless.

Someone may have gotten away with a lane violation there at the end. Maybe.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Racing's so fun. Every pond that has a close heat has grown men laughing at the end. Next time someone hints that you spend too much money on toys......show them one of these vids. Priceless.

Someone may have gotten away with a lane violation there at the end. Maybe.
    We have a ball every first and third Saturday of the month. It is the most fun you can have without breaking the bank or your collar bone

Yeah, when some jumps my case about the time/expense, I just tell ‘em to go inside a play a video game!

The weather has ended our season but we were doing twice a week fer grins and then racing on top of that. I get to laugh with my buds and hang out with my son. Life is good.

You guys should maybe toss some more pins for offshore. Throw in a left on the front maybe. Mix er up.
    Noisy person

The weather has ended our season but we were doing twice a week fer grins and then racing on top of that. I get to laugh with my buds and hang out with my son. Life is good.

You guys should maybe toss some more pins for offshore. Throw in a left on the front maybe. Mix er up.
    Yes indeed. We typically run on a course that is a little larger than the prescibed 1/6th mile, and last Saturday we talked about trying an “M” course for the Offshore classes. Even more fun

Our regular pond has a bay at the left infield. So we dip inside the start finish then turn left towards the shore and pick up a hair pin buoy that would be on land on most ponds. It's a lot of fun. There's still room for multiple boats to turn but I'm not sure if full P boats would get through together.
    Noisy person

Our regular pond has a bay at the left infield. So we dip inside the start finish then turn left towards the shore and pick up a hair pin buoy that would be on land on most ponds. It's a lot of fun. There's still room for multiple boats to turn but I'm not sure if full P boats would get through together.
    I like that idea much better than making the hairpin in the outfield.. always sketchy seeing a flock of boats shrinking into the distance all to converge on one point in space and time.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

They run that in Atalanta. Two hair pins in the back. Basically the first back side pin would be in approximately lane 1017. Then you come in and tun left at the entrance pin to turn 3 and go back out to a pin that's approximately lane 816. Hard right and back to the oval. It's so far out I feel like I need curb feelers. I don't care for it. Too far away for me. Guyds dig it though so it's likely just me whining. The Atlanta site is pretty danged sweet otherwise. One of my favorites. Plus good people. I'll be there until I can't

Winter Warmups has a back side turn too but it's manageable. I can see it at least. Once they get rid of their peninsula theirs wont be bad at all.

We have a hair pin off the right end of the course too but it's not that hard to judge being parallel to your travel direction. Basically a hard right about 100' off the apex between 3 and 4. Then left at the start and another hard right in the bay to our left. (clear as mud) Mixes it up a bit from oval racing.
    Noisy person

Terry, if you would have the time and effort, would you mind posting some sketches showing a few of the offshore layouts you like with distances and drivers stand position? I'd like to try one of the milder modifications at our club you are describing here. Thanks.

What's the best sniffing glue?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    What's the best sniffing glue?
    Not really glue and really not good for you (causes brain damage) but I love the smell of West Systems in the morning.

I'll do a couple quick sketches.
    Noisy person

First one is our home pond. Ton of fun and you don't need a binoculars to drive it.

shelby pond-offshore.pdf
    Noisy person

Here's the Atlanta layout. This is the first time I was able to actually scale it. The far pin is very nearly 500' away from your eye on the stand. No wonder I can't see it.

atlanta-offshore.pdf

Still a killer site. All shade. All day. Still gets hot. It's GA but not bad in April.
    Noisy person

Here's the Warm Ups pond from AZ. I can't remember for sure if there was a pin coming out of 2 that you had to dip under and then turn left. Maybe Ray will notice this post.
    Mcellipse-Model.pdf
    Noisy person

Remember the London pond Terry..Offshore marker so far out ..with the sun in the morning is was like racing by braille!

Atlanta it's the late afternoon sun that kills ya. 500' away and throw some glare at it.

AZ has a tree that kills the line of site to the left end. Everyone leans out to see around the tree and blocks everyone on the one end of the stand. The CD sees none of turn one and two. Danged tree is a problem. Think Ray mentioned that coming down too.
    Noisy person

Don't be putting any ideas in Jim V's head, Jesse. I can barely see the turn #2 and turn #3 buoys where they are now, much less 500' out. I'd hate to have to rub on you more than I already have in the corners. Don't think I have enough fiberglass for that.

I'm with ya. 500' is too far for me. I've watched guys race it and have no problems. I just suck at that distance myself. Such a different challenge.
    Noisy person

Terry, thanks a bunch for the sketches. I like the first one best; I'll see if we can swing this. the second looks like what we have done at our local pond, where all boats converge on a single buoy half a mile away.

Me, I like the smell of a fresh fiberglass virgin hull. there is also something about the sweet aroma of the kicker for the CA glue, but as you say, glue sniffing is not a joking matter.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I agree with Jesse. For the amount room we have at Jim's the first course would be good.

When someone ask I do rc's I tell them it what I like to do/into. Aleast I'm exercising my mind and not sitting on my ass watching SOMEONE else play sports or video games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast