Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old member....new build....scale build...

Default Old member....new build....scale build...

Old member back. Got the bug again and decided to do my 50" Apache build. I bought all the parts for this one back in 2010 or 2011. This is not going to be a super fast boat but fast enough and this is the video that inspired me to start it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpidgpvVwoU&t=51s

Similar hull and same drives. He is running brushed motors and the stock plastic 2 blade props and it's plenty fast for what I want to do. I have brushless motors and stainless 3 blade props and modified the lower units for a scale look and it may even run a little faster.

The lower units have nose cones added, trimmed down skeg and has oil fill and drain holes so I can use a proper marine gear lube. This hull has been sitting on the top shelf in my garage for years! But all the parts were still inside. I actually have 4 of these Graupner drives. Two brand new and two used, one used one has bad gears. I was going to try and hunt down some AMPS drives or possibly use the new TFL drives but hell.....I have enough to do this build and probably not spend another dollar. I have everything!

All I have done so far was work the lower units from the two used drives and they need a little more sanding and paint. I'm going to try not to touch the new drives, I want to keep them new for future use or sale. All I need are a couple gears for these drives.

Few pictures....I'll update as I make progress. This used to be a gasser......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Work continues on the drives. Lot of work to make them look (and hopefully work/last) like the expensive ones. I'll need a surplus of gears and bearings I think. LOL

Oh wow, I like what you are doing to these Graupner drives! Did you machine a new propshaft? Yours looks completely different than mine!

No modifications to the internal parts other than making better seals on the prop shaft output, drive shaft input and the joint between the upper and lower units to keep the water out and gear oil in. I will be filling them with a proper liquid marine lower unit gear lube.

Home made seal that goes between the upper and lower units. These work great. I was able to get the drives to hold pressure. There is a fill on the bottom of the lower unit and a vent on the top. I will be able to fill these with marine gear oil.

Drives mocked up. They need to be raised so I'm going to have to fill the holes and repaint the transom....again....this hull has had the transom reworked 4 or 5 times in the 17 years I have had it. I bought this Aeromarine Apache 50 hull brand new in 2000, it has had at least 4 gas engines and 4 different drive and exhaust configurations.

Welcome back and took a look to the video of your Apache...great scale running for sure.Thanks for sharing
    Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Thanks....but the video I posted above is not my Apache. It's a video of another members scale build that got me going on mine.

The mod's are you doing on these is awesome!

Look at the output shafts on mine. Completely different than yours! And mine have such short shafts and threads, nothing fits except the plastic Graupner props with the brass threaded insert. Obvious now, that Graupner made improvements and mine are the crappy early versions.

Mine are (were) the same. You can buy an adapter that screws on your shaft that extends the prop shaft and gives it a larger diameter giving you more prop options. I cut off the drive dog nubs from the shaft extender and used a new drive dog. There are some slight mods you need to do to the new drive dog to get it right up against the seal. Also you will need to grind a little flat spot on the original prop shaft for the new drive dog set screw. The new shaft extender will go all the way on but I left it backed out a little so there would be room for these props so the set screw on the drive dog hits the original shaft....which is better and safer anyway so the torque of the prop is transferred to the original shaft and not the screw on shaft.
    Last edited by ScarabChris; 10-31-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Welcome back Chris you doing a great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    Welcome back Chris you doing a great !!!
    Thanks man. You still doing props? I think all the props I have except the ones in my avatar are from you. I have 2 or 3 pairs for my big Fountain and the ones you see pictured in this thread are from you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
    Thanks man. You still doing props? I think all the props I have except the ones in my avatar are from you. I have 2 or 3 pairs for my big Fountain and the ones you see pictured in this thread are from you as well.
    yes sir drop me a pm i'm here

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
    Mine are (were) the same. You can buy an adapter that screws on your shaft that extends the prop shaft and gives it a larger diameter giving you more prop options. .
    Wow! Okay, please tell me where you got those adapter shafts? And the part number if possible. I want them! :D

Man it was so long ago I really don't remember where I got those shaft extenders. But you should be able to find them with some searching the internet. Maybe post a thread in the "Prop Talk" forum. I'm sure someone would know..

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...p?51-Prop-Talk

Also....when you get these prop shaft extenders and get them sized up and you know where you want them. Clean the threads on the outdrive shaft and the threads inside the extender of oil and use some red Loc-Tite when you screw on the extender. This will make it almost permanent. Keep in mind if you run counter rotating props the one that spins the opposite of the normal rotation will want to spin off. This is also why you want to use a drive dog and have the set screw hit the original prop shaft. This way the torque from the prop isn't on the new shaft extender, it will be on the original shaft. The new extender basically is there to center the prop and hold it on.

Doing some searching...you may be able to use something like this..

http://www.gravesrc.com/octoc4mm2187...p-adapter.html

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/prop_ada...18585_prd1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    yes sir drop me a pm i'm here
    Dang man nice website!!

Thanks bro! :)

Assembly begins....

Nice! This is going to scream!

I guess I should post what motors and ESC's I'm using.

That’s my slow 8s motor for my DF Vortex 34! Great motor, good torque! You running 6s?

I think I'm going to try running one 22.2 volt 6s battery. I'm not looking for major speed, this is a scale build so if the boat hits 25-30 actual MPH I'll be happy.

Some progress today. The drives are connected to the motors but the alignment needs adjustment, the port side is a little tight when I try to spin the motor by turning the prop. The stbd side is smooth.

Yeah having the motors mounted they way Graupner intended like in the above picture won't work.

1) The set screw to secure the motor to the coupler is next to impossible to get to and absolutely impossible to get tight enough.
    2) The rough fiberglass in the transom of this boat makes it impossible to get a perfect motor shaft alignment and with the motor that close it has to be perfect.

I'm going to use these stainless steel U-joints I got for some other project. Just need to bore out the drive coupler a little to accept the U-joint shaft. The U-joint side is the correct size for the motor shaft. I'll have to build some motor mounts so I can mount the motors a couple inches forward of the transom. This will make it easy to access set screws and keep an eye on leaks as well as relax the alignment specs.

Man you got all kinds of little goodies, looks great. Love the name.

I ordered a couple of these from OSE. I will bolt them together then bolt them to the stringers. I like that these have top screws to remove the motor. My hands aren't small enough to reach around the front of the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Man you got all kinds of little goodies, looks great. Love the name.
    Yeah back in 2010-2011 when I was heavy into the hobby I bought lots of stuff. I spent money on this stuff like a drunken sailor. When I wanted to fabricate or modify something I often bought multiple version of the part and multiple quantities in case I messed it up I had spares. I have a bunch of various of shafts, U-joints, nuts, bolts, cooling supplies, wire, electrical stuff, various hardware, etc in my war chest.

In fact I have a pair of massive rudders brand new I need to put on the classified page. I bought them as an option for my Fountain project and never used them.

I like that quick change motor mount. My next boat will have one. Like my wife says I've got big monkey fingers.

Yeah....got the outdrive input shaft couplers bored out to take these beefy stainless steel U-joints. Tough to get them perfectly centered without a lathe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast