Thread: What's up guys....I'm back! Now tell me about these scale TFL drives!

Default What's up guys....I'm back! Now tell me about these scale TFL drives!

Some of you might remember me. I may be responsible for the scale center console and twin scale outboard craze with my Scarab Sport build back in 2010. I also did the big 54" Fountain with massive twin brushless motors and MHZ surface drives.

I still have all my boats and have added a crap load of cars, trucks and a few drones to the madness. I have been out of the boats for a while. Just pulling them off the shelf now and then for a quick run in the canal.

But I have that 50" Apache hull that used to be a Zenoah gasser. I bought a pair of Graupner drives and never got the build started. I see the hobby has evolved. Now I want to do the 50" Apache with scale Merc drives and brushless motors. But I don't think the Graupner drives will handle the power I want to give the boat.

The drives are held on with one screw, never had a motor attached and never touched water.

Now...tell me about the TFL drives. Will a pair be suitable for a 50" hull and how much power can I give them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are asking about the TFL P1 outdrive, it has a 2960 2200kv motor on it. I think perhaps a bit small for a 50" boat unless maybe you put three of them on it. I have a 30" dumas scarab hull that is in the (taking it's time) process of being set up with one of these drives. When I eventually get around to finishing prepping and painting the hull it will get put together and run.

20170531_105452.jpg20170903_151257.jpg
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Yes the P1 drives on OSE for $219. Hmmm...small for a 50" huh? Small in terms of scale or power to get the boat moving?

Chris, how are you doing? What size is the hull you have in the pics? Is that the Apache?
    As far as steerable scale like drives there are a few out there and they may even suit a 50” hull. Werner at WD200 RC has some as Does MHZ Wilkomen.
    I am going to attempt making some Arneson style ones quite soon here for a 40” hull that I am doing a single build on.

Yes the hull in the picture is the 50" Apache. I was going to do the build using those Graupner drives but I don't think those can take a lot of power. I'm not looking to make a 60 MPH boat, this will be another scale build but 35-40 MPH with some scale Merc sterndrives would be nice.

Well...I wasn't going to use these Graupner 820 drives until I saw this video. This is what I'm looking to do, more of a scale build so I don't need a 50+ MPH boat. Think I'll give them a try after seeing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpidgpvVwoU

Hey Chris, how thick is the transom on your Apache? Because the stock drive coupler was too short for my hull with a 1/4" or so transom thickness and I had to make longer drive couplers. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
    Hey Chris, how thick is the transom on your Apache? Because the stock drive coupler was too short for my hull with a 1/4" or so transom thickness and I had to make longer drive couplers. Just a heads up.
    It's a standard transom in a 50" Apache and having the drives mocked up I know exactly what you're talking about. Easy to rectify though, I can grind out some of the wood where the drive coupler comes in. Yours is the boat in the video I posted above correct? Most useful was your close up of the steering. I think I may steer just one drive and use an external tie bar.

Search my threads here and see some of the builds I did.

Yeah that's my AMG boat. I will be looking forward to your build of the Apache using the Graupner Z-820 drives. :)

Yeah that's my AMG boat. I will be looking forward to your build of the Apache using the Graupner Z-820 drives. :)
    Yup I am going to do a build thread. I have had all the parts for years, motors, cooling jackets, various plumbing parts, ESC's, etc all bought from Steve here at OSE. I don't remember where I bought the new in the box Graupner drives from. I think I bought the first pair on ebay used, tried to use them on my 54" Fountain build with massive brushless motors and quickly blew the gears in one. I bought a brand new pair of drives but decided to go with MHZ surface drives on the 54" Fountain and that boat is nasty fast!.

For the scale Apache 50 build I bought all the stuff back in 2011 and life got in the way. I bought a new (real) boat, my business took off, I moved to a new house, etc....and the 50" Apache scale build just got left on the shelf.

Can't wait to see this progress. I love scale power boat builds.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Doing some mods to the Graupner Z-820 outdrives. Sneak peak of just one mod in progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, you are re-shaping the housing?

Wow, you are re-shaping the housing?
    I'll post the pics on this in the build thread.

Considering buying a pair of these drives and putting them away for a future project. But looking at their YouTube video....am I correct to assume the top gear set is not sealed from water? Just a screw on cover with a dab of grease?

At the 0:44 mark...what about the gears in the lower unit?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJY_dA-WB4U