Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt water boat build question?

Default Salt water boat build question?

Being new to all this and living right on the coast I want a boat for salt water. I have my Blackjack 29 for fresh water but I want a bigger boat for salt water use. It is going to be a winter project and must be built not bought. For an electric V hull about 38"-40" specifically for salt water what would be a good esc/motor combination for good speed and reliability and what is the best way to handle cooling. Also what is recommended for a radio/receiver that has decent range and reliability at around the $250-$300 range.

There is no difference... You still want a good hatch seal, with or without tape. Many ways to stop water ingress thru the stuffing box. I no of no one that does anything different as far as cooling is concerned. I’m guessing your thinking of an inter Cooler? It’s not necessary. You have more maintenance with a salt water boat. Change grease in stuffing tube more, squirting WD-40 into the cooling lines after air drying them out. I’ll put it this way, WD-40 will be your best friend! Oh, keep your hatch cover off during storage. It’s easier to clean dust than clean corrosion problems... Oh, and use 316 SS screws and nuts!

yes all stainless and alloy running gear plus a tin of wd-40 for after runs.

As said you want A4 ( Marine grade) stainless screws & nuts in salt water, most stainless fixing used are A2 grade which will show signs of corrosion in salt water over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
    Being new to all this and living right on the coast I want a boat for salt water. I have my Blackjack 29 for fresh water but I want a bigger boat for salt water use. It is going to be a winter project and must be built not bought. For an electric V hull about 38"-40" specifically for salt water what would be a good esc/motor combination for good speed and reliability and what is the best way to handle cooling. Also what is recommended for a radio/receiver that has decent range and reliability at around the $250-$300 range.
    I will ask this, what kind of salt water running? If rough then 40mph is plenty, even that will be playing with the throttle. But you can sure run awhile like that.
    I will await an answer before thinking of appropriate hulls. There are many it just depends on conditions

Shawn

Steven has quite a selection of v bottoms or mono's, at the OSE store.

We use Salt-Away !! flush with this and good to store boat away or hit the chuck. Our water in BC is very caustic and this works great as part of our maintenance program to prolong corrosion on our boats. Used and proven in the marine industry.
    Cheers
    Buckman

Quote Originally Posted by buckman View Post
    We use Salt-Away !! flush with this and good to store boat away or hit the chuck. Our water in BC is very caustic and this works great as part of our maintenance program to prolong corrosion on our boats. Used and proven in the marine industry.
    Cheers
    Buckman
    Running on salt water with all these lakes around?

Thanks for the replies.
    40 mph is plenty. More than enough actually.
    It will depending on where I run it have to deal with some fairly strong currents and or relatively rough water for it's size so it will be sealed as well as I can get it. stainless hardware is a given.
    I haven't researched running gear yet so some pointers would be appreciated. I'm going to start collecting parts soon. This is the hull I'm looking at. https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=df-delta35 Is this a good starting point or should I look at another. I am assuming that a V hull will be a better choice than a tunnel hull for this application.
    Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 10-27-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Cheers
    Buckman
    I'm on the Atlantic rather than the Pacific of coarse but I can't imagine there would be much difference. This stuff looks interesting for my 1:1 boat as well as my rc.

Check the pirate out it's a little deeper v and has more room over head with the different hatch. I' got one and love it. It handles really well.
    Delta force 35 inch pirate from OSE on page 8 about half way down check it out. In the boat build threads.

The Atlantic is saltier!!! Lol!

If you go to advance search in the top right hand corer you will find some pirate builds.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Running on salt water with all these lakes around?
    Mayne island BC no lakes here brother, Ferry ride to nearest fresh water only 40 min but a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Check the pirate out it's a little deeper v and has more room over head with the different hatch. I' got one and love it. It handles really well.
    Delta force 35 inch pirate from OSE on page 8 about half way down check it out. In the boat build threads.
    I don’t think I’d wave crash anything DeltaForce.

I guess you could strengthen one up. But a MMP Rapide jumps to mind. Narrow deep and sleek. Not just saying that because I have one here

Mayne island BC no lakes here brother, Ferry ride to nearest fresh water only 40 min but a pain in the ass.
    I just did a house out Horton Bay start of this year on Mayne. And yup, duck pond is about a ‘lake’ as you’ll get there.

Nothin a little fiber glass mat would't cure. We usually add a little more anyway.

Nothin a little fiber glass mat would't cure. We usually add a little more anyway.
    True true,

There's plenty of fresh water near me as well as salt. Problem is that particularly in the summer the banks get very overgrown and the edges of the water gets chocked out by water plants as the water level get lower during the summer. The Atlantic stays pretty consistent as well as staying cold even during the hot part of the summer.

There's plenty of fresh water near me as well as salt. Problem is that particularly in the summer the banks get very overgrown and the edges of the water gets chocked out by water plants as the water level get lower during the summer. The Atlantic stays pretty consistent as well as staying cold even during the hot part of the summer.
    This would be a good Hull for your application https://aeromarinercboats.com/collec.../43-challenger

AC boats has a few tho I am not sure if he is laying any up. MHZ would be another source.
    https://www.mhz-powerboats.com/ruemp...ntom-980mm?c=4
    https://www.mhz-powerboats.com/ruemp...ar-2-980mm?c=4

But if those are too much a few layers of cloth in a Pirate would do the trick. As far as motor a 4082 size motor in 1500-1600 KV on 4s with a reasonable prop for the rough stuff.
    Last edited by srislash; 10-27-2017 at 09:55 PM.

I really like the looks of the MHZ Phantom and it's the size I want. I take it they must be very good quality hulls.

Europeon quality.

I really like the looks of the MHZ Phantom and it's the size I want. I take it they must be very good quality hulls.
    The quality are some of the best. But I think for your purposes you don't need the best but just to be happy to have something to bash around without spending an arm and leg. I know you want the satisfaction of building the boat but for something less than $400 you can get an RTR Spartan. It's only 36" long but I've ran my Spartans on the salty beaches all over Florida but mostly around the St. Pete, FL area, my favorite Fort Desoto beach and it's given me lots of fun times. It's big enough you can fit four packs or two big packs of batteries for longer run times. And even though the hull is ABS, it's held up with all the wave jumping and crashing. . .no cracks or splitting of the hull. . .maybe just lucky. I just hate the time consuming of flushing the cooling lines and cleaning and rinsing the insides with freshwater over and over as mine takes in a bit of water. Then I have to spray everything with WD-40 including motor bearings just in case salt water has gotten inside the motor, then the esc. . .then take the shaft out to grease it on every run and spray and spray WD-40 practically on everything metal. Even then after changing all the screws and bolts to stainless and everything sprayed with WD-40, certain parts still started to show signs of rust but I think, as Martin stated, using A4 it will alleviate the rusting. I don't do much salt running anymore but I can assure you the Spartan can give you plenty of speed to jump those waves and soon you'll have many spectators in awe only to be followed with questions about it and where to get one. The good thing is you can find deals on a used one since it's such a popular boat that I've seen them sold for $200. . .RTR complete with lipo batteries.. .so just a suggestion if you want to go in that less expensive route and the boat itself is actually nice and many threads on it to make it even better. . .then on ponds and lakes it shines doing 50mph+ with that high pitch sound with a rooster tail that'a over 6ft high. . .I've enjoyed my Spartan so much that I can't believe I still have four of them. .LOL

The main thing to remember is fun. Be it the satisfaction of building. or just buying. So have fun.

I know plenty do, but persoanlly I wouldnt make a boat for the sea that didnt have self righting for fear of having it flip and wash away. I would only use it on incoming tides which would be more restrictive than I like.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Yes, self righting is a plus. Probably to cold to wade out.

Yes, self righting is a plus. Probably to cold to wade out.
    And that cold could be disastrous for a plastic hull.

Tho I do agree that a cheap bashing boat is totally one way to go. A little less care with it on maintenance and just replace the hull/parts every couple years.
    Or build nice, love it, and care for it. Two ways to go both with a satisfied outcome!

Traxxas is not an option. I have a Blackjack 29 for a rtr already.
    I have a kayak for recovery. Too old for wading in cold water. Actually it would be more like swimming as it gets deep pretty quickly. Not a good idea from what I've read.
    The whole idea behind this is to build it over the winter. I enjoy building RC cars as much as I do running them and I want to try a boat. I don't usually go the cheapest rout in my rc car builds though I do have to watch cost as much as possible and still get a quality vehicle that does as close to what I want as I can get for the money spent.
    Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 10-28-2017 at 12:17 PM.

I've pretty much settled on the Pirate. It's not quite as big as I wanted but it's close and the price looks to be reasonable.

I assume you have a canoe or some other boat, if not, self-righting is the way to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast