Thread: RCM Telemetry

Default RCM Telemetry

Anyone using it? Anyone know of any reviews or video demos? From the English on the instructions I can tell this is a Chinese product but if it works well, I can see me ordering one once they get them back in stock.

I the first person test it. It work great you can see the voltage the speed it is and temp separate and how many mile you run and diagram of it. I don't have any complain about it. any thing you need let me know

Luis

Yep, I've been using too. Here are a couple of screen shots of runs. It is quite a useful tool to help with tuning.

Screenshot_2017-08-08-17-50-14.jpgScreenshot_2017-10-24-07-26-25.jpgScreenshot_2017-10-24-07-26-44.jpg
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thank you for sharing gentleman.
    A few questions. Are the batteries suppose to be hotter than the motor and the ESC? How well do the alarms work? Will the app work in landscape mode? Is the functional range as advertised?

Yes generally my batts are hottest after a run. The alarms work but you need to have your android device with you to hear them. No it only works in portrait. The range seems ok, but I was losing the wifi at the top end of our pond at approx 200m from the reciever unit, but that could be a localised issue.

How well does it monitor battery voltage?

Yep pretty well. I have been experimenting with my Pursuit for endurance, and the alarm was going off well before LVC. In fact I have the LVC set at 3.4V and the alarm was going off at 7.2v (the telemetry sees 2S from the balance lead) and the lvc was not kicking in, even running down to 7v no lvc due to the low current draw. Makes the alarm handy.

I am curious as to the maximum voltage input this system is designed for. Most likely it was designed for aircraft monitoring and has been adapted for marine usage. At 12 volts maximum input how does one use the system with voltages greater than this. I assume a person interested in telemetry for their boat would be using far higher voltages.

While the manufacturer states a maximum 12 volts input the item description on the OSE store website states "Battery Voltage up to 14.4 volts (4s lipo)". With such a low voltage input how useful is the system or am I missing something as the voltage maximum input seems to be very restrictive in how the system is applied.

The system is powered either from a 2S lipo or life, or from the balance plug on the main battery, which is what I do. This only taps two cells for power due to the plug included.

Peter,
    many thanks. Thus either the balance plug connection as shown on the pdf download or a standalone battery are used. My son wishes to use 6s (two by 3s in series), so I assume he simply taps into the balance plug on one battery to power the setup. From my reading it seems the telemetry is sensing just two cells when detecting lvc as I was confused by setting the lvc to 7.2 volts for the alarm.

I understand that there is news from the manufacturer regarding the maximum voltage input. But I can not confirm it. Try to get in touch with Steven Vaccaro to consult him.

Many thanks

This is my son's Exceed "Flowmaster" 650 with RCM telemetry just added. Boat is awaiting its maiden run. TP Power 2940 1790kv with 35 mm 2-bladed propellor running on 6s. I must say this has been quite a task for him to fit everything in a relatively small hull. First task was to strip the stock hull and fit a carbon fibre inlay plus carbon fibre reinforced filling on the tips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Old School; 10-27-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Nice and packed but well laid out and super neat. Which is the telemetry stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by romanjr View Post
    ............. Which is the telemetry stuff?
    The collector is just inboard of the receiver with the GPS unit mounted out of sight directly behind it. The short antenna seen to the port side of the main antenna is for the telemetry.

looks packed well . does your son think the 35mm prop is big enough for this kv motor on 6s ?

Stock prop is a plastic 32 mm three blade. This prop is from the HK Libero just as a test prop to gauge telemetry particularly motor and ESC temps. He also purchased a 38 mm 3-blade and a 40 mm 1.6 2-blade to test once parameter reliability is proven. The boat was tested once only in stock guise (too slow) and then stripped down for mods. He is hoping around 100 klm per hour.

He now needs a dog drive collet that matches the bigger props. Stock shaft is 4 mm (flex is 3 mm) and simply installing a spacer on the 4 mm shaft to mount 3/16" props requires a dog drive with larger dogs to match the 3/16" propellors. Even with the 35 mm propellor there is minimal clearance to the stock rudder/strut support arm so fitting bigger than 38 mm will require some alterations.

oh i see. maybe the flex shaft unit should be swapped over with a full 3/16 inch size as a 3mm flex is abit week for the power of that motor on 6s. be great to hear results when she,s up and running.

A 3/16" drive is part of future planning.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    ..................... be great to hear results when she,s up and running.
    Maiden run with 35 mm 1.4 generic 2-blade propellor, returned 73 kph with motor, ESC and battery temps all 40 degree C verified with telemetry and a separate temp probe. The low temps show that the motor was not stressed at all and I would think good for a bigger prop.