Thread: Thoughts on the Blackjack 29 V3 as afirst fast electric boat.

Default Thoughts on the Blackjack 29 V3 as afirst fast electric boat.

I really like the looks of this one and the prices do not seem to be too far out there. I want one that can grow as I get some experience. I like tinkering with RC vehicles as well. Is this a decent boat in those respects?

Yes, great boat to cut your teeth on. My advice is to find a used one in good shape to save a few bucks that can be put towards essentials like high quality Lipo packs and sharpened props. I've seen several recently here, RC Groups, and on eBay (here's one now). The boat is not without some issues, but no major flaws. Right out of the box, the cooling lines need to be rerouted and the motor collet should be upgraded to a stainless two piece. As you get faster, a second cooling pick-up is a good idea too along with an upgraded flex cable. One of my favorite looking RTR boats. Growth as you learn is subjective. The boat is certainly 6S capable (two 3S packs) but you'll reach the thermal limits at around 60mph on that voltage. Running on 4S (two 2S packs) with an x642 prop will put you at 40mph. Several of us have swapped out the original motor to the newer Dynamite 3831 2000kV motor that comes in the UL19 and Veles boats. It's a little more efficient which allows it to run cooler and faster. Fast props and that motor will run mid 70's for shorter runs. My favorite x440/3 prop and the new motor does mid 60's for a full run, all day long, no temps issues.
    Last edited by fweasel; 10-22-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for the reply and advice. I already ordered it from here so I can't follow your advice on getting a used one but $350 and free shipping doesn't look like a bad deal at all so I don't feel too bad lol. I already have several 2s and 3s batteries for my cars so I can use a couple of those until I get some dedicated to the boat. Motor, esc and running gear changes are right up my ally in my cars so I'm glad they are easily available for this. Also good to have a site like this to bail me out when I get in over my head like I'm sure I will eventually.

My Blackjack 29 came new with a Dynamite 2000kV motor and 120A ESC ,,, I am happy with the setup ,, way different thou from my old Nitro Race days ,, now I just run for fun using both 4S and 6S depending on my mood I have 4 props that I am still playing with ,,,, Northern WI here I have to wait until April May to run again

I did see a U-Tube video some one running in fluffy snow ,, I like my boat to much to abuse it like that