Thread: Dan-O's Genesis!

Default Dan-O's Genesis!

Not sure why I keep buying more boats. Or why I bought this thing in October. Or what I'm going to do with it... Hey, leave me alone, I like it and I'm having fun! I have some nice parts that have been sitting around that will work on this and I really want to learn these cats. I figured this would be a good place to start. I'll probably run it on the stock 2075kv SSS motor and see what I can get out of it and go from there.

Well, here she is. A brand spanking new ARTR. I've never seen one in person before. I tell you no lie, it's a sexy looking float! This hull is thick and seems to be very strong(even the hatch). Also, the flex tube is stainless on this thing.

First things first, clay bar and polish!

All cleaned up! Bonus pic with my RC10T4 off road drag race truck. I always take the hard way...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Turbo Dan-O; 01-17-2022 at 02:57 AM.
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

Let's get rid of that orange stuff with a motor plate from Kintec. Just found out the other day that Jan passed away. I hated to hear that. He was a good guy that really helped us out. I bought a lot of wicked cool stuff from him.
    Last edited by Turbo Dan-O; 10-16-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

Nice Dan, so a 4s boat? I believe these are the same as the FighterCat Daytona hull with dihedral sponsons.
    Shawn

Yeah, I will run it on 4s for a long while. Not looking to bust 100, I'm just trying to learn with this thing. Yes, it has dihedral sponsons and is the same hull as the Daytona as far as I know. I didn't notice the sponsons till I got my hands on it. That being said, I really only plan on making straight line passes with a GPS so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'm a big fan of doing bottom work but this thing looks like it would be a pain!

I finally built a Daytona a couple years back. Also a 4s boat. It takes a bit to get used to running, get it up on plane then cruise it. Before it’s on plane it will flop around. Just punch it and go. Gentle steering too.
    I’ve had a number of flat ride pad cats so it took me a bit to get used to.

Looking forward to seeing your build! I got a thread going in the FE talk section on my Genesis. I didn't know anything about these High Power brushless boats (i'm a vintage FE guy), I just purchased the Genesis because I liked how it looked LOL! But I have been really enjoying mine!

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been getting a few things in. I'm sure I'll get some hate on this GoolRC motor but I can't help it. The car guys are having excellent luck with them and I really want to see what this thing will do in a boat. It's a 4074 2000kv. I still don't know what I want to do for an ESC. I have a new SF300 with datalogging but, that seems a bit silly for this project. Hmmm

Mbp goodness...
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Mbp goodness...
    "It cost that much because it's worth it!" Man, we are lucky to have stuff like this available. Wicked nice!

those collets are my favorite
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Yeah once I tried the mbp collet I won’t mess with anything else. Just ordered one for my hydro build as well.

Hmmmm. Should I wire it up to this cheap motor? I was saving this ESC for my SAW Tsunami project but I feel like it's kind of outdated and has been collecting dust for a while.

Nothing wrong with GoolRC motors, they are winning races and setting lap records over here, the new budget kings.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Warm weather is on the way. I need to get to work! Got the steering setup all dialed in. 1/8" stainless rod and MPB ends.

Those rod ends are very nice. I'm using the same ones on my Genesis. I'm mounting my servo off the to the side in the right sponson, so I'm going to attempt using a straight push rod with a new hole drilled in the transom.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I really wanted to do a straight one but, I couldn't bring myself to drill on my brand new boat. It has a few bends doing it this way for sure. I'm using the stock servo mount but I made a spacer to hold the servo in there tight. Not real pretty but should get me going.

Yeah, these MPB ends are just perfect. I ordered some more to keep in stock.

I understand completely about not wanting to drill more holes. I did a thick epoxy and chopped carbon fiber pour over the transom of my hull and sealed off all of the existing holes so I was able to start from scratch on that front. At the very least, your upgraded push rod will solve a lot of the steering issues the stock setup encounters.

What strut are you using? I haven't decided if I'm going to drill out a larger 1/4 strut to use roller bearings, or stick with a smaller one and use an AQ style bushing like yours.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I need to do that to this one. I'm hoping it's going to run pretty good for what it is. Maybe they are all like this but, this boat seems to be well built. My Apparition and Pursuit were very thin. Not this thing.

I bought this strut forever ago and I can't remember the brand. I think it's a Speedmaster but not 100% sure on that. It's 3/16" of course and has a floating bushing. Using the stock stuffing tube with no liner. It's stainless steel and very rigid...

I think the roller bearing idea would be a big step up from this stuff.

I'm still here guys! I've been full blown obsessed with my full size solar/electric boat project and haven't run my FE hot rods as much as I should. Silly, because FE boats was one of the main reasons for building it. Go figure...

I did finally take the Genesis out for her maiden last summer. Last minuet, quick decision. It's been a shelf queen for so long, I forgot that I never did a bathtub test. Well, I learned real quick that the super thin shaft lube that I use is not near enough to keep the water out. I still blasted her across the water a couple of times though. No GPS but she got my heart rate up on 4s with an ABC 1715. Anyway, here's some pictures!

And a bonus show shot!