Thread: Possible new project

Default Possible new project

I am looking for something to do kind of bored so I think I would like to try to make one of my Casper Hydros into an RC. these guys are real small at 7.25 inches long so it will be a challenge so I was thinking of getting a small RC boat or car to rob the running gear from. Any suggestions would be great. I know I would probably need to make the rudder and strut thinking just one maybe two cell lipo.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Wow that is smaller than micro. You will need a motor that is one inch long and a tiny esc. Props will need to be cut down plastic.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

What a cute project. Where did you get the hull? I have fancied a tiny FE boat for a while. Maybe using one of the 10g outrunners and 6A ESCs popular with the indoor flying guys. I have not done FE that size but I have RCed an airfix MTB with stripped out Futaba 3003 servos and used them for a motor and ESC in on 1s, I used 2000mAh as ballast so it didn't plane, but it has a fair bit of thrust, if you built light and used 1s 200mAh it might plane. It might also not, but it is a cheap experiment as you probably have (or know someone that has) an old standard analogue servo in the parts bin that wont ever be used again.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

They are available on eBay and I think the Hydroplane museum web store has them also

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

Very cool Jim have seen a few videos of these running in pools super fun looking!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Blackjack 9 rudder. Maybe pull some other things from the bj9 too. Servo would work. It doesn’t have a strut, just brass tube. You might could do the same thing
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Cool project! Maybe you can use parts from the boat in the link below. I purchased one at the beginning of the summer and I have more time running it than any of my other boats this year. It's a fun little boat and everything might fit in your project.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality...QAAOSwaPtZ3Y1Q

Jim, you use to be able to get a motor kit for the Casper boats, or are you looking for more power? I think I might just plug to a battery have steering of some sort, boat can't be that fast and let it go.

Ya I was looking to go 1 cell lipo small servo motor and esc, brushed or brushless
    Billy Graham

Well, it looks like I will be picking up the baton on this one. I'll be extensively modifying it for RC. Ride pads for sure. Looking at the vacuum-formed bottom, it may get some re-shaping of the aft bottom, probably get a lot of air trap, a homemade rudder, a homemade micro strut, 1/32 wire drive, homemade coupler. Maybe a straight shaft would save some weight and complexity, we shall see. The BIG problem will be a prop. I'd like it to have a 1/16" or 3/32" diameter hub which means no commonly known prop will work. I may wind up silver soldering some brass or stainless steel blades to a stainless steel tube that will be part of the wire drive; i.e. the prop stub shaft will have the prop blades attached to it. That means I will have to fabricate some sort of fixture to hold the blades in the proper orientation while I attach them to the hub. Hmmmmmm.... I wonder what alternatives may be available.

This project will have to take a back seat to my newest project: The 1/20 scale '80 Atlas Van Lines.

Some equipment thoughts:

Motor: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...or-4500kv.html
    ESC: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...c-1a-ubec.html
    Servo: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...html?wrh_pdp=3
    Battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...html?wrh_pdp=2

UPDATE: I found a prop. With a bit of sharpening and shaping, I think it will work. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-3-Bla...19.m1438.l2649
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-16-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Add update
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Steep money for a brass prop with soldered on sheet blades, while I don't know or any 20mm surface drive props, you can get 20mm submerged race props for mini Ecos that wont throw a blade if you spin them fast, and if you are going to run a straight shaft you should get plenty of lift from the angle of the dangle.

Here's a link to a Doctorprops cast stainless 20mm 2blade Eco prop
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Graupner makes screw on props for 4mm shafts and you could get an adaptor. I used to have some for a Bingo my son had but I sold them with his boat not long ago.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=grp-2318.26
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    ........., you can get 20mm submerged race props for mini Ecos that wont throw a blade if you spin them fast, and if you are going to run a straight shaft you should get plenty of lift from the angle of the dangle.

Here's a link to a Doctorprops cast stainless 20mm 2blade Eco prop
    Excellent to know, thanks for the "heads up". I am obviously venturing into uncharted waters here. I have no idea what will and will not work on such a small format; it's going to be a lot of experimentation. The videos I've seen of these are that they behave like displacement hulls, not planing hulls. My real goal is to get it up on plane and to have it be controllable. I'm thinking of going the micro strut route with a 1/16 propshaft and a 1/32 wire drive. This will give me plenty of options on the dangle angle. The Raboesch prop has a M2 threaded hub which means I would have to bore a 1/32" hole through an M2 threaded brass rod (cut the head off a brass screw). I have a mini lathe so this is not impossible, but it does not leave much meat on the threaded rod. The 3mm hub of the mini Eco prop would make this machining process a whole lot easier to accomplish as I can simply ream one of the 1.5X3 prop adapters to 1/16" I.D. and I'm done. It may even be possible to reduce the prop diameter a bit to more closely resemble a surface prop.

When the hull arrives, I'll start a build thread in the Micro and Mini category. Boldly going where no man has gone before.

A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves