Thread: GP 400 Ode to O'berto...

Default GP 400 Ode to O'berto...

Well, now hopefully I can get clear coat on the boat this week and shakedown maybe Sunday or next week. Went through about half a roll of blue painter tape on this one.
    IMG_20171008_132955.jpgIMG_20171008_132933.jpgIMG_20171008_133020.jpg
    Should I race sport40 and take on the gassers as a novice?

nice, can i see the inside?
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

That ML kit looks good as O Boy! Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Navherc130 View Post
    Well, now hopefully I can get clear coat on the boat this week and shakedown maybe Sunday or next week. Went through about half a roll of blue painter tape on this one.
    IMG_20171008_132955.jpgIMG_20171008_132933.jpgIMG_20171008_133020.jpg
    Should I race sport40 and take on the gassers as a novice?
    To "Take on gassers " is almost a guarantee that you will sustain moderate to massive damage.
    The gasser races I've seen over the last six seasons of racing frequently end with one or two boats coming back in multiple pieces. It must be all the noise.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    To "Take on gassers " is almost a guarantee that you will sustain moderate to massive damage.
    The gasser races I've seen over the last six seasons of racing frequently end with one or two boats coming back in multiple pieces. It must be all the noise.
    HAHAHA ROFL. So it's not just a problem here? Maybe it's all those petrol fumes? Gotta say though, it's fun to beat them!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Wow, super paint job! I love it! Very nice work! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

How did your testing go?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    How did your testing go?
    Haven't tested the boat yet. Thanks for asking. Just got too busy....now waiting for weather to break a little.

I really like the scale paintwork on a sports hydro. Very nice.

Well, tried it yesterday and not the best results. Put a TP 5650 1290kv in it with an ABC 2316. Using a Sword 220. It ran kinda wierd, can't explain. At one point I thought I lost the prop, Had the vac-u-tug with floating fly line go get it. Prop not lost. I think the LVC was kicking in for no reason. I had a 3/16 gap between strut and drive dog to prevent binding. When I opened the boat after all that nonsense, there was some smoke. But, not the magic electrical smelling odoriferous emmanation we are all used to. I figure it may have been oils burning off from motor assembly at the factory? The cursery oil drops I put down the stuffing tube? Flex was greased well prior to run. The few oil drops on the endbell bearing? This was the virgin run for the ESC, motor, 6s2p, prop and all. The smoke definitely made me take notice and back home I reset the ESC for 5s so it does not do a premature cutout. I time my runs at 2min. Double checked the strut/dog gap. Motor and ESC still bench tested good. Propped down to a 5016 CNC just for initial safety for the next test. Is it possible to overclamp a motor in a mount designed for its diameter, thus causing internal extra work? I have to say that the motor/flex coupler was friggin hot after that short 1 min run, not even at full bore. If not snowing after work, follow up test today.....

To me it sound like there alignment issue. Your flex cable and coupler shouldn’t be hot what so ever. It could have been grease and oil burning because how hot it been.

Do the flex cable slide easily into coupler? If not you need play around with alignment of the motor till does.

Good looking boat.

It sounds to me, from the symptons offered, that the coupler was slipping on the flex.
    The coupler may not have been done up tight enough.
    Is the end of the flex all black & blue, & slightly worn?
    If so, the flex & coupler need to be replaced, because the inside of the coupler will be worn & will not grab the flex properly.

Flex and coupler brand new. Only ran total about a minute, I will check the grip and put a collar on the flex so I not lose it if it gives. Alas, now that I think about it, you may be right!!IMG_20180311_174945-1.jpg

Have you soldered the end of the flex? It usually helps the coupler grab. And BTW, what brand coupler?

Decided to add some interior pics. Not the neatest, but it will do...IMG_20180313_180001.jpgIMG_20180313_175943.jpg

IMG_20180319_185356.jpg
    How much length should I have here? Ran today with some success. Hopping real bad at first crack. Bad strut alignment. GPS said 47 mph with the hopping. Brought her in to make adjustments. Left tools home. Arrrr...... Went home and made fix. Topped off Batts. Went back. Grip and rip, holy crap. Actually kinda scary for a bit. Big boat moving quick. First for me. Ran for 2 minutes. Hard to turn. Needed some more rudder deflection at speed. At the end of 2 minutes start to hear a growl. All stop. Let boat sit about 70 yards from me for about 30 sec. Goose her back to me. No noise. Hatch off. Motor 88*. Sword about 100*. Batts about 85* per with 63% remaining. Connectors in the 90's. So...the question is could the growl be flex slap in the hull? Is one inch exposed flex ok? I moved flex collar a little closer to the stuff box for next run weather permitting. Regreased the flex. Another friggin nor'easter coming. BTW ran 55.3 max on my crummy GPS with a CNC 5016.

Do you have a gap between the strut and the drive dog? The growl could come from the drive dog rubbing the strut, it could also be the flex getting dry. Just pointing at a couple areas that it could be. Was the flex wet with water or still have grease on it when you pulled it?

Another thing that I have ran into on several occasions is that the stuffing tube itself breaks free of the hull. Check this

Now a new problem. I bought a STS shaft seal/oiler from OSE. Super fast delivery I might ad. Here is the problem. That exposed flex in above photo whipped the tubing end larger. Now I cannot get STS on. Any suggestions for resizing while stuffing tube is in place? Not much to work with. May have to cut some off. Don't really want to do that OR put in a whole new stuffing tube. Suggestions??

Either cut the tube. Or put in new stuffing tube. You will not get enlarged tubing back to shape.
    Last edited by eric113; 03-23-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
    Either cut the tube. Or put in new stuffing tube. You will not enlarged tubing back to shape.
    Bummer.....

put new stuffing tube in. when you do go to a short piece of the next size larger and epoxy through hull so next time you bugger up the tube you just slide the old out and the new one in and your done

Yea, not much you can do with it now slip a new tube in it easy peasy.

Been off the grid awhile overseas. Got back and playing around with Oberto boat. Bad thing, smoked another older version sword220. Think this large TP motor is just wrecking too much havoc. Its the TP 5683 1290 8D. Turning custom Dasboata 1914/3. Batteries and motor are fine, but melted down the esc. Only ran 1.5 minutes. 6s2p. Water shooting out the ports like a hose. Thought this large diameter motor would be easy on the effeciency and heat with that prop, but does not seem to be the case. I have the new sword 220x (dont know how to set it up), and thinking of cutting the 56mm mount out and getting a NEU like everyone else. 1527 1y. I have been reading that the NEU is posted at something around 94 max amps and that TP above is rated at 200 max amps. What does this all mean? Both have similar kv.How can their literature be 100amps different? I do realize that prop size and batts have alot to do with it. But these numbers are unloaded, correct? Any help or suggestions would be great.

Very nice boat! Paint looks great.I’m happy with neu 1527 1y and sf220x.
    Last edited by ETOWNE; 09-21-2018 at 09:50 PM.
    Vortex 22 hydro ammo 36-50
    Vortex Cyber Storm 33 P spec Mono AC 36-56
    PT SS-45 Q-hydro Neu 1527/1Y