Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well.......she's all done !!

Default Well.......she's all done !!

Take a good look because that's the last video of a great life for a Phil Thomas 45 boat. Had some sort of servo glitch going on with my new Hitec servo's. They seemed to be drawing to much power for whatever reason and would make the receiver unresponsive. Thought it was fixed and tested it many times but....guess not. Boat was on a strong pass and I suddenly lost communication with the servo and slam into a rock near shore at 95 mph, according to the GPS. Boat is completely destroyed....and I mean the worst i have ever seen in 15 years of boating. i don't think I want to go down the SAW boat MPH chase anymore since it took 4 years to get to where it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkKNLOkGXVE

That stinks, my PT45 is about 8 years old now and still going strong. Wait a little bit and build another
    Team Liquid Dash

Sorry to hear it. Am I an ass that I was also disappointed to not see a video of the crash itself...
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Sorry to hear that, every boater's worst nightmare. All of us have that thought cross our mind while running... I crashed my new hydro after just pain stakingly panting it. I was very fortunate and it wasn't a total loss, but I sure thought it was! Put it up on the shore, stuffed it into the side of the bank, doing about 50... It took me a week before I even thought about starting the repairs..

It's a grieving process, so like the advice above, just let it go for a while. We all feel your pain!

Sorry no vid of crash. The hard part is the years invested plus a few thousand in broken,burnt,worn out parts, the fact that running a boat like this requires night before prep,perfect water conditions,no one around on or near the lake and an hour round trip drive while doing this for years. Best mph was 107 and things go really bad when something screws up !! My other boats are FUN to run....and cheap....this one was a major personal project that consumed a lot of time and resource.
    This really bites !! O-well just venting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    This really bites !! O-well just venting.
    You're certainly entitled.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

sorry to hear about this crash. one thing all should remember is if you have any radio issues on land you don,t go in the water just like r/c aircraft , any radio issues you don,t fly as i once found out.

You are 100% correct. I had my someone stand with the boat at the garage and I walked at least 700 feet down the road and even pushed the antenna in a foot just to bias the signal and no problems. Checked this on two different days.
    I just talked to Phil about doing a custom carbon fiber enforced hull but don't know if I want to go down this up hill speed road again. I do make him laugh a lot about the speeds I am doing and he always says...."Ya know....that hull was only designed to go 50+ mph" and I always say "Come on Phil ,I can run faster than that. LOL

Gary are you using an FM radio set ? if so i must say some after market receivers can become glitchy with electric models. i remember some time ago i had a Hitec receiver with a JR tx and as soon as motor power was applied , the servos glitched. swapped to a JR rx and all was then fine. same thing happened with a Corona FM rx .

Gary
    Sorry to hear of your crash. I want to ask you a question. My PT45 hops real bad until I get to full throttle. And then it runs solid until a little wind gust or chop and up and over it goes. Did you do anything to the sponsons or other changes?

Mark

Your prop is to deep....more than likely. What are you using?
    Sponsons are stock and will go over 100+ no problem.

No the strut is 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Any more than that and it hopes worse. I tried the cg were they say and then I added weight to get it more forward. It's a little better with the strut at 3/4 and the cg forward. I have been racing for over 25 years and went over 100 mph for the first time about 7 years ago when I use to put on the saw event in Las Angeles. This isn't my first rodeo and I have never seen a boat behave this badly. I think the boat must be warped or something. That's why I asked if you did something to your boat versus stock.

Mark

Mark, i had a simular hop issue with a gas powered sport hydro and found the cause was a combination of too forward of c.o.g. plus the use of a lifting prop. this forward cog made the tail [ transom ] too light and with the lifting prop amplified the transom causing it to lift and drop in concession. the fix was to move the c.o.g back abit and use a non lifting prop, also a few guys mentioned a flat bottom strut can cause a hop when using the wrong prop type.
    are you using a lifting prop ?

Rol243 is correct to much forward will cause the transom to lift,sponsons dig in,slow boat,transom comes back down, repeat LOL

Did I read that right? 95 mph on an FM radio?
    Noisy person

I am using a 2316 10 prop which is a little lifting but the bouncing seems to be starting from the sponsons. I have tried moving the weight all over the place and more forward works better. I have a 2215 15 prop to try now and I might even add ride pads just to see if that helps. The nats is in 2 weeks and no way will I be competitive pedaling the boat around just to keep it on the water to finish a heat.
    I would like to hear from Phil T himself and see what he thinks.

Mark

Yes Mark it would be alot easier to sort out your issue if you could get some settings etc from the other guy who has the same hull running well. i would copy his c.o.g. / strut depth / strut bottom shape and angle and prop choice. maybe also check your ride pads to make sure theres no hollows as you know can cause all sorts of handling issues. good luck and i hope you can get this fixed for your Nats.

I can also tell you that this hull does not like certain props. I know if to much cup is added to my prop it will do that. Also I had gotten a run of prather 235 props that where not the same as the older style and would do the hop thingy as well.Drove me crazy for weeks not understanding what the problem was and all along it was the prop.

Mark -have you taken off the turn fin just to see if it removes the hop?

Yes I have taking turn fin off to see if that helped. Nope. I also shimmed it too and that did help a little with turning. I can't tell you guys how much I have done to this hull. Tonight I added some 3/32 ride pads to see if this helps. There is a big step from the sponson to the ride pade. A 1/4" which seems a bit much to me. I will go out on friday to test again and I will also try the 2215 15 prop which has a lot less lift than the prop I was running. I will let you know if the ride pads helped or not.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    I am using a 2316 10 prop which is a little lifting but the bouncing seems to be starting from the sponsons. I have tried moving the weight all over the place and more forward works better. I have a 2215 15 prop to try now and I might even add ride pads just to see if that helps. The nats is in 2 weeks and no way will I be competitive pedaling the boat around just to keep it on the water to finish a heat.
    I would like to hear from Phil T himself and see what he thinks.

Mark
    put some rake in this prop. see if that helps.

I have also put some heavy weight in the front or rear. I know it's a pain to test with problems but throw 3-4oz's i the rear transom and see what it does. I believe you have way to much lift going on with to much lift with prop or not enough weight in rear.

Gary I ran the boat with a stock 455 prop and about 6 other variations and it still hoped. I have tried putting weight everywhere, it doesn't matter. Well weight forward matters the most because my problem with hoping is only at slow speed. At full throttle it rides smooth. It just blows over with the slightest gust and that isn't going to work when I try to run with 4 other boats in the water. I cut the airdam off and that didn't help. So now I am adding ride pads to get the hull higher out of the water so the air can escape quicker. This will allow me to lower the strut some more to help with air release as well. We will see.

urbs. read my post, I am going to a prop with more rake. You can't add rake, the prop has to be made that way.

Mark

Cool

Terry, Joerg went 140 mph on an FM radio......

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Wait a second...is it a hop at the transom or is it the sponsons rocking side to side?

This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03K_1rqUKU

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Terry, Joerg went 140 mph on an FM radio......
    True, but what else was there then? Plus, is he human? Sort of I guess.
    Noisy person

theres nothing bad about FM Radio whatsoever, you have good to excellent range , you might have PCM inbuilt , you have a good Failsafe inbuilt., you don,t get Brown Outs like Spectrum gave me. i say this from experience with r/c over many years before 2.4 gig radio was even thought of, and originally flying r/c aircraft even before FM radio was thought of [ AM radio ] range both on land and in the air was excellent . i still use good FM gear such as JR 11X FM / PCM and Multiplex 8 / FM and now Jr 2.4 gig and Futaba 2.4 gig, there is no noticeable difference in either radio set , you have Failsafe use it. there are many guys that will ONLY USE FM Radio for SAW Events, true fact.

I went to 2.4 early and haven't looked back, but FM was pretty good to me once I switched to Multiplex IPD receivers (similar protocol to Berg). Those I know that are still on FM tell me that is better now than it ever was, as most of the issues were idiots ignoring or forgetting the peg board, and now they are the only one at the lake/field/track on FM as almost everyone uses 2.4ghz.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

thats very true with not many guys using FM radio these days allows for a cleaner and safer reception. i did have a guy switch on his tx when flying r/c planes and that wasn,t very nice. boom crash. the Fm sets i have have tx and rx modules that allow for any dial up FM frequency on the 36 meg band no xtals.

My rc days date back to AM too. Nothing but trouble for me until I went to 2.4g. Brushed motors were harder on FM.
    Noisy person

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast