Thread: Roaring top

Default Roaring top

I'm looking for new batteries for next season and was wondering if anybody uses Roaring top lipos and how do they perform. I was looking at their 70c line.
    :canada

NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Yep, the JAG'S Team is using them. Enough said.

There are quite a few of us running them here with great results.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

The JAGs record cells were quite “special”, don’t expect regular packs to perform that well. That said, several club members use RoaringTops to good effect in oval racing.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

The RT packs have been performing very strong from my testing. I use the 60C packs for SAW and 2-lap, and use the 50C packs for heat racing. I have not tried the later cells, but if the earlier ones are representative than I would not hesitate to recommend the higher C packs.

The batteries are not really the limiting factor anymore, it's the poor controller in between the battery and motor.

The below graph shows pretty accurate data for a sample of batteries used an Wayne Giles ESR tester. The batteries are all cycled, and tested at the same voltage with different temps to show their dependence on temp.

The best batteries show the lowest internal resistance with moderate temps and a flat curve towards the warmer temps.

Look at the data for the RT series. The A samples were development cells, the B sample was a pack designed for NAVIGA racing and the C samples are the 60C cells.

Any cell that is below 1 mOhm can push plenty of current. The best cells when hot are around 0.5 mOhm.

-Tyler
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

The Roaring Top 3s 5000 70C performed the same as the Zippy Compact 3s 5000 40C. Tested in the same boat, both brands with three cycles on them, max amp draw- 238, saw passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    The Roaring Top 3s 5000 70C performed the same as the Zippy Compact 3s 5000 40C. Tested in the same boat, both brands with three cycles on them, max amp draw- 238, saw passes.
    John, it's time to get your MC. I told you I'll go dive for it underwater for you as long you watch out for gators. That was a nice boat. I should be free next week. So Roaring top lipos are equivalent to Zippys? Good thing I didn't get the ones that just came up on the for sale section. I've never tried them before and I wanted to try that brand. Let me know when you're ready.

I would argue that the RT's are a higher quality than the Zippy's. If anything the RT's are on par with the latest HK Graphene's and I here same as the Dinogy's.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    John, it's time to get your MC. I told you I'll go dive for it underwater for you as long you watch out for gators. That was a nice boat. I should be free next week. So Roaring top lipos are equivalent to Zippys? Good thing I didn't get the ones that just came up on the for sale section. I've never tried them before and I wanted to try that brand. Let me know when you're ready.
    I'll text you next week. I'll get the video so you can see exactly where the boat went in. As far as the batteries go, I have no idea how they would last down the road. Like I said, they were all new. The Zippy's might suck for racing, fine for saw passes. You have a LOT more boats than I do, so if you can find something less expensive that yields the same results as an expensive battery, you try it. I like doing my own experimenting rather than just taking everyone's word for some things.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Look at the data for the RT series. The A samples were development cells, the B sample was a pack designed for NAVIGA racing and the C samples are the 60C cells.
    Was the Naviga pack a review sample or a retail unit? As a Naviga racer I find that very impressive if it is a retail pack, normally Naviga cells won't hold voltage under hard discharges like high C cells which is indicitive of a higher IR, but these comparisons look pretty awesome considering a 3s 5050mAh pack is about the same weight as 2s 5000mAh 70C Dinogy, and are significantly lighter than a 2s 5000mAH 65c Nanotech.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Paul, it was not a special cell, but a standard chemistry available. They are pretty awesome for the weight.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Thanks for everybody's input sounds like I can't go wrong if I do try them. I will be using them in lsh class and a P hydro.

I too have been looking at RT. they will apparently also custom build packs for you as well.

Sorry, guys, but I can't recommend them. I tried a RT 6S 5000 70C in a Q boat and two 4S 5000 70C in a P boat. All three packs got puffy after a few runs. No better performance than Turnigy or Zippy. I still use them for sport running. I have switched to Giant Power and Dinogy graphine packs for racing.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Sorry, guys, but I can't recommend them. I tried a RT 6S 5000 70C in a Q boat and two 4S 5000 70C in a P boat. All three packs got puffy after a few runs. No better performance than Turnigy or Zippy. I still use them for sport running. I have switched to Giant Power and Dinogy graphine packs for racing.
    Well I have been having the same issue with my Revo's. Just the new 435's, my old 427 HV packs are STILL rock solid.

That's what started me looking for other options after 3 Revos with bad cells out of 6 packs 2 dinogy 4s 5000 mah puff. I'm not knocking either mfg. because it could be a case of my bad luck because I do have other Revo 40c packs still going. Part of the problem is buying lipos in Canada is shipping cost my last order of Revos shipped with FED EX cost me an extra $36.00 for handling because they split the order for 4 3700mah 4s packs in two boxes. I want to look into the option of picking up at a U S post box and not deal with Fed Ex. So Giant power or Dinogy graphine could be a option.

Quote Originally Posted by ezhitz View Post
    That's what started me looking for other options after 3 Revos with bad cells out of 6 packs 2 dinogy 4s 5000 mah puff. I'm not knocking either mfg. because it could be a case of my bad luck because I do have other Revo 40c packs still going. Part of the problem is buying lipos in Canada is shipping cost my last order of Revos shipped with FED EX cost me an extra $36.00 for handling because they split the order for 4 3700mah 4s packs in two boxes. I want to look into the option of picking up at a U S post box and not deal with Fed Ex. So Giant power or Dinogy graphine could be a option.
    Yup actually all the HV's have been puffing. Slightly but...
    I believe it is just in Canada that the extra charges occur from Revo. If you can pick up across the line you may be clear. I may do that next time but also try the 420's. My pal in Victoria has not had issue with these.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Yup actually all the HV's have been puffing. Slightly but... I may do that next time but also try the 420's. My pal in Victoria has not had issue with these.
    Shawn
    It's been a hard summer on the majority of my 3S 420 Revo packs, a lot of testing, but never really run them down past 3.8-3.75V. The occasional 3.65 if I got the timer wrong on a new setup. They're all puffed slightly. They seem to still be running well, but the Turnigy Graphenes and Nanotech's from last season that I repeatedly ran down to LVC before I knew better are all still perfectly square. IR's in the Revo's have gone up some, but are all still under 2.0 and all balance within .002-.003V. I'm certainly keeping my open to try something new.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Tested the roaring tops in speed run cars the 5100/80 c 4s,, I found them just as good as the big china hobbies with are the same as the big turnigy graphines but the china's do have slightly lower IR and the RT have a higher discharge we got less of a voltage drop with the RT I do have some new 3s 5100/80 RT for sale

I ran a pair of Revo Go packs, 4S 5000mah 60C way down a couple of weeks ago by accident. I was going for runtime not top end speed, but was relying on the LVC to kick in but I learned a thing, make sure LVC is set at it's highest setting. I an running a RCM telemetry set in the boat and will use the alarm on that to warn me when the voltage gets down in future. They were running in 2P and took over 4900mah to recharge each. No puffing and cell voltages/IR's do not show any change from before. So far so good with them in this way, which is great as I don't think they have the same punch for ovals as my 3 year old 427's even though those only ever get charged to 4.2V.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    I ran a pair of Revo Go packs, 4S 5000mah 60C way down a couple of weeks ago by accident. I was going for runtime not top end speed, but was relying on the LVC to kick in but I learned a thing, make sure LVC is set at it's highest setting. I an running a RCM telemetry set in the boat and will use the alarm on that to warn me when the voltage gets down in future. They were running in 2P and took over 4900mah to recharge each. No puffing and cell voltages/IR's do not show any change from before. So far so good with them in this way, which is great as I don't think they have the same punch for ovals as my 3 year old 427's even though those only ever get charged to 4.2V.
    Peter, so those 60c’s were the Platinum series? There is still a few of those left on blowout pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Peter, so those 60c’s were the Platinum series? There is still a few of those left on blowout pricing.
    Sorry I got that wrong, they are 70C Silver series. To be fair I am not that impressed by the IR's, they range from 0 to 7 mohm in the packs. They may be better in warmer summer weather, but the differences within the packs are questionable. My 427's still sit at 2-3 during winter and those packs have been raced hard at times.

For you guys in Canada, dinogy will ship usps priority mail. Just pick that option during shipping.

Mark