Thread: Shortening ESC leads...

Default Shortening ESC leads...

If you had to make a decision, would you shorten the wire leads on the motor side or the battery feed side of an esc?

Battery side. Motor side length doesn't really matter.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

On two different occasions I asked this question of Castle techs. I got two different answers! Personally, I shorten the battery side leads.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

If I might add, the battery side is the most critical, since those two leads are carrying the current for the 3-lead motor feed. But I would be mindful of long motor leads. If the ESC is switching 100-200A, then any wire can creat an undesired trait, called "leakage inductance". This is basically an inductor that doesn't do anything to contribute to power, but it can create high voltage excursions that the ESC must suffer through. So P1 is battery leads, always! But don't overlook those motor leads. BTW, the motor connectors are more critical than the wiring... Make sure they're good and tight and running cool!

I have read that any motor winding wire not tight within the steel former will produce heat.

I don't suggest shortening winding type motor leads however I do it only because I know how and know how dangerous it is playing with hot caustic solutions.

Why do TP and some others make their motor leads so darn long anyway???? If you bend them too much it messes the coating up and makes hot spots.
    Nortavlag Bulc