Thread: bad motor?

Default bad motor?

had a problem again with my twin aeromarine 36" cat. seaking 180's leopard 4082 1600's. on 5s. last week a motor wire got hot. replaced loose bullet. ran today . boat ran fine. when finished run, all motor wires were hot on that same motor. connections were tight. what gives?

This seems to be related to the one side, so stuffing tube/flex cable running with more friction than the other, prop not as sharp on that side, ESC's aren't running with the identical timing. I would swap stuff, one piece at a time, to try and widdle down the variables. First thing I'd swap are the motors or ESC's...

BTW, you can carefully bend the fingers of bullet connectors back out to fix loose fits. It's only when the gold plating is gone that I would chuck it.

The above are likely causes. Was the motor hot or just the wiring? If it was just the wiring then poor connectors/soldering could be the cause. Was the hot motor the one on the inside or outside of the turns? If running an oval course the inside motor will run hotter.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Never knew that about the inside motor, but makes perfect sense. Like a locked out differential in a street drag car, the inside tire gets murdered... Does anybody know if there is a "mixer" available for dual motor setups? It's a little module you plug into both ESC's and the steering thru a Y connector. It performs a speed mix, based on the steering position, to slow down the inboard motor ratiometrically to the steering input. They use these types of devices on fighting bots... wouldn't that help dual motor boats turn better?

Use a 6 channel air radio with V tail mixing to independently control each esc. Twin motor tug boat guys run it like that. I haven't tried it on my tug yet, but I don't compete with it. I find it unusual for one motor to be hotter than the other simply due to making right turns. First I've heard of it actually.

Been pretty well known for a long time - among oval twin racers. They run wide open in rather tight turns, you'd probably never notice it during zip-zip running.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

It's because one prop is a bit deeper then the other in the turns

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    It's because one prop is a bit deeper then the other in the turns
    Actually, I think it's because the inside prop is cutting a shorter path so it's fighting the speed setting of the motor. It's forcing that prop to run a more inefficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Does anybody know if there is a "mixer" available for dual motor setups?
    Radio's such as the Futaba 4PV have mixing for dual ESC,s built in for this use.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Actually, I think it's because the inside prop is cutting a shorter path so it's fighting the speed setting of the motor. It's forcing that prop to run a more inefficiently.
    No,it is because one prop is deeper:more load it's as simpel as that