Thread: rudder setup

Default rudder setup

Does anyone know of how to switch the ose offset rudder https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80978 back to a inline, i continue to experience sever drag issues and would like to try inline. Thanks!
    Every one knows the best part about building a boat is SANDING!!!! Just kidding

What kind of “severe drag” do you notice? What boat are you running? Why do you think an in-line rudder will solve your problem?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Yes the prop can not unload properly with a rudder behind it.

My bad it is a daytona and the drag i notice is that the boat is always leaning to the right and i can see the offset bracket causing almost pulling the boat over to the right.. At first i thought it was the peop but i have changed props multiple times and it never goes away. Its not that i want to fully switch i just want to see if the bracket is my problem or not. At first i thought it was batteries, then prop, if anyone hs any other ideas that be awsome

I have the same issue with the Genesis, they do roll from prop torque increasing the problem but.....they just sit low and that bottom bar of the offset drags in the water till 1/2 -3/4 throttle you can see the vertical spray of water off that bracket and also see it stop when the boat is on step

here is my approach/mod I removed the bottom cross bar and eliminated 70% of the vertical spray and drag no loss in the integrity of the bracket with this removed, I tried to bend it.
    noticeable increase in performance & handling in turns and slower speeds

WP_20170919_19_52_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170919_19_51_48_Pro.jpg

The best cure for this roll over to right [ prop torque ] is to mount the strut center line approx 1/4 inch to the right side [ starboard ] you could also try mounting your battery pack on the Left side [ port ] both of these makes it hard for the prop torque to lift the left sponson . this is very common with many Mono hulls where they lean over on there right side as the strut is mounted dead center on transom , also blunt props don,t help.

That makes alot of sense i thought of that but didnt know it it took away integrity, were u adjusting your batteries any certain way? Did rounding the edges almost help reduce drag?

were u adjusting your batteries any certain way?
    in a Genesis there really isnt a way to adjust batteries to compensate for the torque roll

Did rounding the edges almost help reduce drag?
    yes, I think it creates a little lift as opposed to the obvious drag from a blunt face

actually Im going to find a stand alone rudder bracket that is small enough to fit and mount it on the right side of the transom and eliminate that offset bracket completely and the drag caused by it, I may have to relocate the servo to accomplish this but it will be worth the effort

Definatly that would be cool to see, well i will definatly give it a go and shave it down

also blunt props don,t help
    also too big a of a prop
    anyone know if a de tounged prop which unloads the prop will decrease the torque roll?

if your de-tounging a prop you are reducing some pitch area , so Yes this would have to decrease torque roll somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    if your de-tounging a prop you are reducing some pitch area , so Yes this would have to decrease torque roll somewhat.
    thanks for that, In theory in my head it would unload the prop for more rpm and possibly reduce some torque roll....win win .
    Im going to de tounge a couple sizes that the genesis likes to see if I can eliminate more of that roll its known for....
    I really like this hull, Im not building a SAW racer I just see some room for improvement in this rig.... like everyone else I also wish it were wider.