Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My TFL Genesis Chronicles

I've had my Genesis for a several years now, got a wealth of experience on it, let me know if you have any specific questions that weren't already answered for you. Below are my specs...

SSS 4082 2000kv on 6S
    Hobbyking 180a V3 ESC w/ 8mm Castle Connectors
    Reinforced hull and hatch with fiberglass cloth layup
    Keith Bradley hatch lock kit
    3/16 Flexshaft Conversion (Kintec 3/16 strut)
    Octura M445 prop
    Turnigy Heavy Duty 3S lipos run in series
    Dual Pick-Up Rudder
    4mm I.D. Cooling Lines

Big thing I recommend is reinforcing the hull if you plan on going faster than 50 mph. If you don't reinforce the hull, it will crack after your first few flips at speed. It's super easy to do fiberglass cloth layup, or carbon if you want to get fancy. Also, highly recommend you use hatch bolt system instead of just tape.

Here is a video of my boat with my older previous 4082 1600kv motor, it only got about 65 mph with that setup, it's currently doing over 70 mph with the setup it has now. The stock SSS 36mm motors are not known to be very reliable, however, their 4082 2000kv/2200kv motors are very good. I've had them in my Genesis and HPR 115 dual drive with no issues.

Thanks SD looks like yours is running very smooth! I haven't run mine yet with my new 4082 1600 and M445. If I get 60-65mph consistently without burning anything up I will be happy. I'm going to upgrade all my connectors and shorten the wires before I run it again.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    Thanks SD looks like yours is running very smooth! I haven't run mine yet with my new 4082 1600 and M445. If I get 60-65mph consistently without burning anything up I will be happy. I'm going to upgrade all my connectors and shorten the wires before I run it again.
    That motor with a 180a ESC is one of the most stable and reliable setups for 6S. I also recommend the Hobbyking branded 180a V3 ESC if you have to replace it in the future or future projects. It is just a rebranded Seaking 180. It actually has a better capacitor setup and cost $90 or $100 (depending on membership) and has a 1 year warranty, while the Seaking has cost $20 - $30 more and only a 3 month warranty.

Remember you should only shorten your ESC connectors, not the motor. The motor wires (that isn't already tinned) have a special coating that is impossible to solder connectors unless you remove it, which is a pain. Also, I would recommend at least Castle 5.5mm connectors, though 8mm costs only slightly more and super easy to solder even with large wires.

Its funny how this hull reponds to props and motors. My Leopard 4082 1600kv worked well with the x642 and M445 props, but my 4092 1730kv hated the x642. Based on the pics you posted, your rear strut setting is way too positive, I would recommend going negative about 1-2mm negative from flush, your boat is riding probably too wet in the front, even with those dual 6S batteries running in parallel. The weight transfer from the positive strut and duel 6S up front could also cause porpoising as well.

Pic of strut setting....

Strut.jpg

Pic of ESC and battery placement, which is similar to yours, however I stuck my ESC farther forward of the hull. But running dual 6S probably more then compensates for the weight, I'm only during dual 3S in series.

Gen Placement.jpg
    Last edited by SD Eracer; 11-18-2017 at 12:27 PM.

So I ran it yesterday for the first time since last year with the new motor I never tried. Did not put a GPS in it but I will for my next run. 4082 1600 Leopard motor, M445 prop, drive cable adjusted properly, with 2 6s 4500mAh 45c batteries in parallel with the 180 hobbywing ESC and a UBEC. (upgraded drive shaft, dual cooling, etc) Boat ran great and the handling was great! The only issue is it is still taking on some water from somewhere, cable is greased up so I don't know where to look? Maybe zip tie the cooling hoses? It runs great and I think this is as fast as I want to run it in my narrow canal. Just want to figure out the water issue and if I am running it without burning anything up. I put some sponges in it for my next run to suck up some of the water and to hold my GPS to find out how fast it is. Temps on the motor was 110 degrees and ESC was 120 degrees, batteries was 90 degrees but it was 90 degrees outside. Any thoughts on how the is water getting in, and are those normal temps after a hard run??

have you tried putting the hull in a tub of water and hold it down abit so more pressure is forced around the hull underside and rear ? also check the cooling jacket isn,t leaking under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    So I ran it yesterday for the first time since last year with the new motor I never tried. Did not put a GPS in it but I will for my next run. 4082 1600 Leopard motor, M445 prop, drive cable adjusted properly, with 2 6s 4500mAh 45c batteries in parallel with the 180 hobbywing ESC and a UBEC. (upgraded drive shaft, dual cooling, etc) Boat ran great and the handling was great! The only issue is it is still taking on some water from somewhere, cable is greased up so I don't know where to look? Maybe zip tie the cooling hoses? It runs great and I think this is as fast as I want to run it in my narrow canal. Just want to figure out the water issue and if I am running it without burning anything up. I put some sponges in it for my next run to suck up some of the water and to hold my GPS to find out how fast it is. Temps on the motor was 110 degrees and ESC was 120 degrees, batteries was 90 degrees but it was 90 degrees outside. Any thoughts on how the is water getting in, and are those normal temps after a hard run??
    My genesis leaks up the flex shaft tube both with or with out a liner. I got tired of messing with it and just resolved to cramming enough grease up the tube to stop it ....I load it up with 5-6 shots of grease and put my finger over the shaft end while I insert the flex....this forces the grease back down the tube and makes a water seal till the grease dissipates ...

Thanks for the reply's guys! I'm running the larger 3/16 flex in stock tube no liner so sounds like I need more grease.

Ran again the other day, ran good but I think I over temped the HK180 ESC. There was some fisherman in the canal and I was not holding WOT as long as I normally do, boat stopped doing anything and had a constant beep. After a few minutes it started working again so I guess that was a overheat problem? Didn't have my temp gun out. I went ahead and ordered the below speed control yesterday in hopes that it will handle more from my set up? Thoughts on my purchase and the ESC? Thanks

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=hef-HBX1220L

Nice! I went with the ZTW 200 so far so good. Do you have a cap bank?

Looks like I forgot to purchase a cap bank will do now.

Tagging post

Sold and shipped my Genesis yesterday. My new TFL Zonda arrived from OSE yesterday, plan on starting a new thread for that tomorrow.

How do you like the handling of the zonda in comparison with your Genesis? Just curious.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12