Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My TFL Genesis Chronicles

Default My TFL Genesis Chronicles

Hello everyone first post and trying not to make it too long. Got into R/C FE in the 80's and 90's then got out of the hobby for many years. Last few years been buying the old ones off Ebay and fixing them up, some converted to small brushless set ups. I wanted to go faster so decided I should get a modern boat (Genesis). I'm new to the high power brushless world, here is what happened so far.

I live on a 50 foot wide canal and do only straight high speed passes no high speed turns.

Genesis (one that looks like the real Aqua mania) stock SSS 2050kv, 120a Turnigy ESC, single 6s 45c 4500mAh on left side.

First run break plastic prop in about 30 seconds.

Second run 6s with X440 lost rudder pin in about 1 minute, fixed that broke flex cable in about another minute but I think I hit some weeds.

Third run 6s I had adjusted the strut and way too low, it was fast and stable but too wet and too many amps for the 120a ESC and it burnt up.

Ordered HW 180a ESC and program card, UBEC, , and a bunch of props, x442, x445, m445, x642.

Forth run 4s with 180a ESC (3.75 timing), UBEC (red wire cut on ESC RX plug), still X440, single 4s 45c 4500mAh on left side with strut raised ran great but I want more speed.

Fifth run 4s same set up as forth run before but I raised the strut again but I think I raised it too much handling sucks, porpoise really bad.

Now on order, everything to convert to 3/16 flex cable, dual water pickup rudder and all that stuff for separate cooling, leopard 3074 1650kv motor (might be starting issue with Ebay on the motor, been two weeks and have not received), will just be buying from here from now on, I got a bunch of this stuff from here fast shipping no problems.

So am I heading in the right direction to get this boat running good on 6s??

Thanks Jason

Welcome aboard! First of all.It looks to me like you are doing good,but I have only been in FE about a year. I would also try a 440/3 prop. Thats what I use on my BJ V3. It works well on 2000kv 6S setup.

my genesis loves the octura x45mm especially in light choppy water...
    this hull being so skinny wants to roll as Im sure you found out, as it begins to bounce around input a "little" left turn it brings the left sponson down and you can then increase to full speed

Thank you tails up and madprops for the reply's! I will have to try those props. If I do not end up receiving that 3074 1650kv motor from Ebay do you think I should go with something around 4082 1600kv with 6s? I really want to try and run the boat again tomorrow with the stock 2050kv on 6s but I do not want to cook another ESC. With my current set up do you think I can run the stock 2050kv motor on 6s?

I had a Turnigy 120a esc but things got hot on 6s so take it easy
    then ran a Turnigy 180A ESC and temps dropped

So my last run was with stock motor SSS 2050kv, 180 ESC 3.75 timing with UBEC, single 6s 45c 4500mAh on left side, new 3/16 flex shaft, same x440, and now dual cooling. Boat ran great low temps but started to "dance a bit at high speed". I think next run will be with 6s 45c 4500mAh on both sides (in parallel). I hope that having battery's on both side will help handling? Or maybe I will need to drop the strut a little bit?? Also has anybody sealed or closed off the voids in the back of the hull?? I feel like those might be catching water from wakes or waves??? And that might be causing the side to side dancing at speed??

I filled the two voids for twin stingers , you will feel the improvement at low speeds hole shots and turning....

as to your bouncing this is what Ive found ....as you are increasing speed and it starts mishandling input a little left turn
    sounds like it maybe torque roll I experience this when I raise my strut high with a big prop but dont want to slow down my hull so I just add the left input when accelerating to lay the hull down and get up on step

edit: if your genesis runs with out miss handling in choppy water it is the torque roll that choppy water touches the right sponson and sticks it to the water which stops the bad handling
    Last edited by MadProps; 10-08-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Update! ran with both 6s batteries and handling is better but still gets dancy at high speeds but not as bad. I did not replace the drive tube and only pulled out the Teflon and put in the 3/16 flex shaft and now I get lots of water in the hull, is that because I did not put in a bigger tube and new Teflon??

Another update, greased the crap out of the flex shaft (not as much water was in the hull after the run), flat water on the canal, run was with stock motor SSS 2050kv, 180 ESC 3.75 timing with UBEC, two 6s 45c 4500mAh batteries, 3/16 flex shaft, same x440, and dual cooling (dual cool rudder from here OSE). Ran it a bit longer today with the two batteries and temps got higher (kinda expect that). Still dancing at high speed, it looked like it was more like jumping out out the water when I hit WOT (long gradual increase in speed before I hit WOT) and I think it still completely jumped out of the water a few times!! So I got two BIG batteries mounted on the stock battery holders, do they need to go farther forward to help the CG??? Or should my strut go higher or lower?? Right now if I lay the boat on a flat table the strut hits the table and the back of the hull is about 2mm above the table (I would think that would put more of the front hull in the water). Seems like I need more set up on the strut and weight placement. Also since the temps got higher today I think I'm going to order a bigger lower KV motor tonight (from here OSE) because I don't want to kill another ESC. SO what do you guys think?? And thanks in advance!

Edit: More info. Once the batteries ran down a bit the jumping and handling problem really went away. So is this huge prop torque problem?
    Last edited by emspjay; 10-13-2017 at 08:33 PM.

firstly is the prop a 2 or 3 blade 440 ? sounds like your c.o.g. balance and or your strut height is not right. which direction is this hull bouncy ie; north to south or east to west ? can you show a pic of the rear of this hull ?

So is this huge prop torque problem?
    the Genesis can almost flip vertical from a hole shot, the higher you raise the strut the more roll you will experience with this hull

So I got two BIG batteries mounted on the stock battery holders,
    I think you have 2 problems making it not handle well, .....agree with rol243 COG......I believe first batteries need to be moved back ...., dont know what your batteries weigh but im running 2 3s 5000mah or 4s 5000mah and the top of my batteries are inline with the rear of my motor and also seems these hulls like some positive trim to your strut 1-1.5mm....your results may vary I should also mention I could not achive enough positive trim until I filed out the strut to allow more adjustment see photo below

100_8334.jpg
    Last edited by MadProps; 10-14-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Hello guys thanks for the responses. It is a 2 blade 440. I have attached some pics off the boats back end and batteries. I moved the strut up again so the hull no touches the bench but I have not run it like this yet it was 0nly 1 or 2mm lower before.

DSCN2157.jpgDSCN2158.jpgDSCN2159.jpgDSCN2161.jpgDSCN2162.jpg

be aware many of of found that the HK Genesis stock SSS motor wont last long on 6s. I ran 6s only and got 25-30 runs before it died.......also bout a HK Pursuit with an SSS motor and it smoked after 6 runs on 6s .....your results may vary

my battery placement....
    Untitled-3.jpg
    Last edited by MadProps; 10-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Yep your packs are farther back than mine I will have to try that. I ordered a leopard 4082 1600kv motor and back ring for mounting Friday night. So I think I will wait for my new motor before I run it again. Should I run a bigger prop with that motor? I got some others, X442, M445, and M447. And what timing should I run with that motor?

a D wind motor should run very low timing such as 0 degrees to 3.5 max. are you leaving a gap between the drive dog and strut end ?

the genesis likes a 45 mm prop 11.25 timing

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    the genesis likes a 45 mm prop 11.25 timing
    isn,t that motor timing abit high for a D wind motor ?

The new motor I ordered is Leopard 4082 X2 1600kv 2Y on OSE store, so is that Y wind?? So what timing? And right now there really is not a gap between the drive dog and strut, does it need one? I assume if so that must be to let the flex shaft move a bit??

sorry i thought it was a D wind. go for what MadProps said.

the shaft shrinks under torque and requires a space

3/16 inch gap between rear of strut and front edge of drive dog is the norm.

Thanks for the advice guys!! Will get all this stuff done before I run it again! New motor will probably show up right before the wife and I leave for a long weekend up north, so I don't think there will be any updates until next week. I am enjoying the boat! Can't wait to get it perfectly set up!!

One thing I'd recommend is some 5.5mm bullets for the batteries. Genuine Deans tend to melt the solder past 100A, china deans do much worse. Even if they don't melt, you'll lose speed from the voltage drop they create.

Hi guys, got my new motor and stuff in but have not tested since lots of debris in the canal lately. So the only thing that worries me about bullets on batteries is possibly shorting it out. Is there any other connector options?

Use large tubing silicone sleeves over each terminal. Pull back to complete the connection, then push the sleeve back over the connection. You got a great connection with more insulation than using connector housings.

If you are doing 2 batteries in parallel, you can simply remove the first deans on the ESC and connect it past the single deans on the y-adapter. Each deans is only providing half of what the ESC is pulling total, which I doubt is over 150a. At the very least wrap them in a short tube of fiberglass, if they do melt then they won't short on anything.

As far as different connectors, one of the better options that still has a plastic housing is EC5 connectors. They're rated for 120A and are technically 5mm bullets. If you can wait then china has a lot of EC5 and 5.5mm options, but OSE has them if you want them asap.

Also shorter wires are better, even 10awg can provide resistance at 100A+. My ESC to battery run is shorter than just 1 of your battery leads.

What about these connectors in the link below?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SABEgJIQfD_BwE

Those would be plenty at 200A, they just get pricey the more you get. I'm using a mix of 4mm and deans on my chargers and converting all batteries to 5.5mm. I put 2 layers of shrink wrap on them and 3d printed caps/plugs for the 5.5mm.

XT90-S Female Connector+ Anti-spark
    anyone tried these? Im looking for feedback, I was about to order some resistors and ran across these, looks interesting
    and I do like xt60 connectors
    P_20140825141939_12.jpgs-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by MadProps; 11-01-2017 at 02:55 PM.

the m445 is a great prop for that boat. I ran a daytona with your power set-up. good runner. enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast