Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobbyking Libero mods

Looks great!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Many thanks.

A simple but effective change. The cockpit area needs a little padding behind the driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Old School; 04-13-2018 at 04:29 AM.

I have just replaced the prop on the Libero as the last time out, while the boat performed alright it seemed to drag its tail. I was using the stock 38 mm TFL propellor. Before I ran the boat the first time I replaced the motor with an SSS 3674 2200 kv motor running 4s. Of cause on the first run it necked the 4 mm drive and so I upgraded to a 3/16" shaft running in the stock stuffing tube minus the liner. I fitted a homemade rotating bushing to the strut. The way the stuffing tube is fitted really does not allow anything other than a positive angle on the strut (the strut runs out of adjustment). One can minimise it but one cannot impart any negative angle in the strut, let alone neutral.

The strut angle plus the stock prop did not really enthuse me when it ran. It ran reasonably quickly but nothing spectacular. I decided that a lifter prop was needed and sourced a Grimracer 42/66 (1.6 pitch) lifter prop by Aquacraft and have fitted it. I balanced and sharpened the prop. It will be sometime before I can test it.

I am wondering if the prop was a reasonable choice. I believe the 3674 motor and 120 amp Turnigy ESC should be able to handle the prop without excessive heat. The 4s battery is a high discharge Graphene.

With prop, I would do 2-3 laps and bring in to temp the esc and motor. Might be pushing to limit of that 120a esc with the motor and prop.

Many thanks

A simple conversion, now running an SSS 3674 1300kv on 6s 60C battery. Prop is a Grimracer 42/55. ESC reprogrammed for 6s. Will get to test it eventually.

This hydro goes very well on 4s power , should be a blast on 6s.

Yes, I am hoping for an improvement. Last time out I was not really impressed with how it performed. It was running an SSS 3674 2075kv motor on 4s with the stock 38 mm prop. I had previously replaced the stock 3660 motor with the 3674. It just did not seem to be performing as it should have been in that it seemed to drag its tail. I wanted to fit a larger (lifter) prop and decided to go to 6s to try keep the amperage down for the Turnigy 120 amp ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Yes, I am hoping for an improvement. Last time out I was not really impressed with how it performed. It was running an SSS 3674 2075kv motor on 4s with the stock 38 mm prop. I had previously replaced the stock 3660 motor with the 3674. It just did not seem to be performing as it should have been in that it seemed to drag its tail. I wanted to fit a larger (lifter) prop and decided to go to 6s to try keep the amperage down for the Turnigy 120 amp ESC.
    It does have a flat bottom strut correct? Lifter will also help. What is timing set at on esc?

It very cool, you stuck with testing and tuning this boat. Sounds like your getting there.

Many thanks. The strut is the stock TFL item supplied with the boat (round bottom) that I modified with a rotating bush to take a 3/16" flexshaft. The original motor that I fitted was a 4D timed at 0 degrees. The motor now fitted is a 6D timed also at 0 degrees. I run all my "D" wind motors at 0 degrees.

If you need more lift, you could try a flat bottom strut to help with the lift. With D wind motors you can add small amount of timing 3.75* and that might help also.
    Last edited by eric113; 04-23-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Many thanks. I need to test the current mods and see if the new prop has changed anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12