Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Esc cutting out

Default Esc cutting out

I have fitted a 3674 2200kv motor with 5s lipo,s and a 120amp hobbywing esc to my Miss Geico.Is
    this esc to small for this set up because it keeps cutting out.When it cuts back in the boat runs at reduced speed until the esc is switched off and on again.I know nothing about electrics so any help would be much appreciated.

You can try turning down the lvc to maybe 3.2v and test. I personally wouldn't run less than a 180 in a fe boat.

I don't know much about that boat but I would say the 120amp esc is not enough for 2200kv on 5s even on 4s it would be undersized. Sounds like you hitting the LVC, when you programed the esc what settings did you input? 2200kv motor is probably better suited for a 4s setup.

Motor%20KV_Batt.jpg
    Last edited by R2315; 09-24-2017 at 08:58 AM.

You can run a 2200 on 6s all day, the esc is not enough for a 2200 on 5s. Ran a 2075 on 6s once with a 120 and would come in way too hot. Changed out to a 180 and all was good.

Thanks for the replies I will upgrade to a 180 esc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    You can try turning down the lvc to maybe 3.2v and test. I personally wouldn't run less than a 180 in a fe boat.
    I'm running a 150A on a 34" hydro on 8s with a M445 to 645. I'm running under 100A, hitting high 50's to low 60's, turning laps. I think an ESC is closely linked to the overall setup. Although a 180 is safe, it's not always required. You should find out what is required for your hull. I use datalogging...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I'm running a 150A on a 34" hydro on 8s with a M445 to 645. I'm running under 100A, hitting high 50's to low 60's, turning laps. I think an ESC is closely linked to the overall setup. Although a 180 is safe, it's not always required. You should find out what is required for your hull. I use datalogging...
    Which esc? Which motor?

Turn your lvc down. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Which esc? Which motor?
    It's got a SW 150A Pro+ HV ESC, the current motor (small motor) is a Leopard 4074 1050kv. I'm working on driver skills right now, Feeling better each time I go out. The next motor is Leopard 4082 1250kv, it's just waiting in a box... I'm going to try a 4s setup for possible PSport Hydro, and I have a TP 4050 2310kv and SW 220A Pro ESC. I use a Eagle Tree data logger on all the setups.

Currently, the 8s setup is four, 2s 7200mah batteries in series.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Turn your lvc down. Simple.
    Could be a sign of a batt going bad, dropping too many volts under load. If your LVC is 3.1V or less, it's probably a battery... Also, some have high temp cut-off too.

It's got a SW 150A Pro+ HV ESC, the current motor (small motor) is a Leopard 4074 1050kv. I'm working on driver skills right now, Feeling better each time I go out. The next motor is Leopard 4082 1250kv, it's just waiting in a box... I'm going to try a 4s setup for possible PSport Hydro, and I have a TP 4050 2310kv and SW 220A Pro ESC. I use a Eagle Tree data logger on all the setups.

Currently, the 8s setup is four, 2s 7200mah batteries in series.
    DF hydro?

Yup, 34"... With new sponsons on it, it has proven to be a very stable boat. Handles the speed just fine. It's slow out of the corners, she's a thick one, weighing in at almost 11.5lbs. Now it needs more torque off the corners. The boat is just starting to feel slow to me, soon I'll step up the motor. Little motor, batts and ESC run nice and cool with M445. When I go to M545, batts and motor start to get pretty warm, about 125-130... Motor is only rated for 90A. With the 445, it's running 54mph top speed, running laps. I don't do just straight runs

Cool. Been looking at that boat. I've just got way too much on the bench now. Maybe next year.

Could be a sign of a batt going bad, dropping too many volts under load. If your LVC is 3.1V or less, it's probably a battery... Also, some have high temp cut-off too.
    Yeah well, if dropping the lvc works then the batteries are probably ok. I always set those things to 2.8v. Under load voltage is slightly diffeeent from actual voltage, and won't really damage battery from over discharging considering the actual resting voltage will still be higher than load voltage after cutoff. If that makes any sense lol
    Or just get an external lvc and do away with the built in one on those esc which are known to have issue.

You're right on point! In the servo industry, we call it burden voltage, whether it's a battery or the load droop off a rectifier circuit. I think these LVC's have values that are too high. But here's the rub. Someone is going to run the boat slower, not punching the throttle or run wide open the whole time. So each boater has to understand how they are running on the batteries. If you run easy, then the values should be higher. If you're going all out, then drop them down, or disable and use your trusty timer.

The real test is how much mah your putting back in the battery when you recharge. For example, if you're running 5200mah battery, you want to discharge no more than 80%, unless you get batts for free (I don't). So you should be hitting about 4100-4200mah on recharge. The LVC just isn't as accurate as timing it, if you drive consistently.

More insanity.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    More insanity.
    Did you have some insight you would like to add that we may have missed?

5s or 6s on 2200 kv. Foolish. I should have let the experts straighten it out though. Carry on. Sorry I interfered.
    Noisy person

5s or 6s on 2200 kv. Foolish. I should have let the experts straighten it out though. Carry on. Sorry I interfered.
    Well thank you for your wisdom. It's always helpful when someone smugly responds.
    It's really amazing that nobody listens to you. The only thing foolish is your response man.
    You're welcome to elaborate or give your input, but insulting our intelligence with condescendence is not helpful.

At any rate, to the original post, try turning the lvc down. Let us know how that works for ya 👍🏻

You'll find very few experienced guys posting on OSE anymore. They don't want to argue with guys that think they know everything but haven't the experience. I'm not sure "smug" is quite right. More like fed up. No.....frustrated is the right word. We've had the kv discussion about a hundred times. I'm also not entirely sure that "nobody" listens to me. Maybe though.

A 2200kv motor, especially a 36mm motor has no business being run on 5 or 6s. Of course the speedo is going to shut down. Shutting down was good fortune. It didn't burn through the deck. This is good. The LVC isn't going to fix it.
    Noisy person

A 2200kv motor, especially a 36mm motor has no business being run on 5 or 6s. Of course the speedo is going to shut down. Shutting down was good fortune. It didn't burn through the deck.
    I've run various brands of 36mm and 40mm motors, from 1900Kv to 2200Kv with props from 40mm to 45mm all on 6s and have not experienced one time any temps that would cause a meltdown. Sure, it may be too much for racing, but absolutely fine for saw runs. Hell, even Pro Marine equips their boats with 36mm 2075Kv motors to be run on 6s all day.
    Last edited by Prodrvr; 09-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.

You'll find very few experienced guys posting on OSE anymore. They don't want to argue with guys that think they know everything but haven't the experience. I'm not sure "smug" is quite right. More like fed up. No.....frustrated is the right word. We've had the kv discussion about a hundred times. I'm also not entirely sure that "nobody" listens to me. Maybe though.

A 2200kv motor, especially a 36mm motor has no business being run on 5 or 6s. Of course the speedo is going to shut down. Shutting down was good fortune. It didn't burn through the deck. This is good. The LVC isn't going to fix it.
    Let me get this str8, as I've been doing this for a number of years now, and am quite familiar with these speed controls and the lvc AND how the esc reacts with the lvc. Youre proposing that the lvc is not the issue here?
    Because I've had the same thing happen with much less hot setups than this.
    I'm not saying that 5s 2200kv is optimal, but I ran my mean machine on that exact setup for years without issue sport running. Sure it was a little hot for those mid summer days, but not completely unreasonable at all.

Perhaps it isn't the lvc. But I just figure why not try it at least. And if he turns the lvc down and the issue goes away, what next?

....and I'm spent. Another one bites the dust.

You guys got it all figured out. Have at it.
    Noisy person

....and I'm spent. Another one bites the dust.

You guys got it all figured out. Have at it.
    You're ridiculous man. All you've done is try to prove us who are trying to help wrong. Where is your well thought out informative response?

I just want to share my experience as a novice to this hobby and maybe others can gain something from it. When I was getting my first boat set up I relied on the experience of the others who new better than I did. I Was all in for 6s and hi kv which in my mind translated to speed and at that time that's all I was worried about. I did a lot of reading and tried to understand the effects of different setups, the electrical theory involved and eventually came to my senses. And it's not to say it shouldn't be done but was rather not for me to attempt being so new to this hobby. If it weren't for the more experienced stepping in and saying hey, maybe you should take it easy and start with a well setup, cool and efficient motor, esc and prop combo I probably would have done some damage due to my lack of knowledge. As the OP stated "I know nothing about electrics" I obviously don't know but perhaps he is in the same situation I was in. Yes the LVC seams to be the problem but I also think there are other things at play and we could possibly help the OP avoid problems and have fun with the hobby, which is what it's all about!
    Last edited by R2315; 09-25-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Let's get all the details of what he is running, prop, batts and what his expectations are and go from there. A lot of great minds on here and I'm sure we can straighten this out constructively

Certainly there are more things that can be talked about with his setup, but I believe the issue he is having to be the lvc. If I'm wrong about that then so be it.

Your not wrong, but I think we can offer more to the OP who may or may not need it. So Blindpew are you good with swapping the esc and going for it? or are you interested in maybe setting it up with a lower kv motor? You tell us and we'll try to help you out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast