Thread: New old King of Shaves P1

Default New old King of Shaves P1

This sub forum doesn't get much love these days. I always loved watching this boat race about 10 yrs ago and the model version is just plain sexy. Just going to cruise with it for the remainder of the season, but I imagine I won't be able to keep it off the workbench in the offseason. Going to start on 4S and a X640 prop.

2017-09-21 17.26.11.jpgP1c.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

You got it! Nice! Cruise it lol? You'll have that thing flying on the edge in no time lol

I love mine, after laying down some CF reinforcement to the hull and hatch, I've had some hard crashes and nothing happened to it. I love this boat, the way it looks. . .so appealingly sexy. Also, I've seen this boat in stock form sold well over $700 on eBay. I regret I sold my other for only $300. I should have kept it because it seems this boat makes a great addition for any collection.

Is yours stock? What voltage and prop are you running with?

I had one, such a great looking boat, but so thin. Should have kept it and built it.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    I had one, such a great looking boat, but so thin. Should have kept it and built it.
    That's why I'm going to resist the urge to do much to it this season. Over the winter, I'll gut it and put in an overlay, and a real motor mount.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Is yours stock? What voltage and prop are you running with?
    No, the one I have now is not stock. I haven't ran it in over two years. I'm at work right now so I don't exactly remember what motor I have on it now and prop. But I do remember it has a Seaking 180A and was toying with 30mm and 40mm motor back then. When I first got it it ran around 40mph or less. and I wanted it to go over 50mph. I think I ended up with a 4074 2000KV and had it running a little over 60mph. . .I know it doesn't have a any hardware right now because I wanted it to be pretty. So I took the rudder, strut, fins and trim tabs because I was going to order a red or blue anodized hardware for it. Unfortunately, I never got around to it. But I was mostly running it on 4S and 5S which was more manageable than at 6S. At that time all I was concerned about is getting a boat as fast as I can get it to run. Now, I'm just happy with 50's to 70's mph. I'm not chasing that 100mph mark which I was obsessed with and never did hit it. When I get home, I'll see what motor I have on it and what prop because I usually put everything inside when I take parts off. So most likely the last prop I ran it on is inside the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Yes, you should have kept it. After strengthening the hull with CF inlay it was strong. I had several hard crashes and nothing ever happened to the hull. Perhaps with the width so narrow it seems like it jumps waves really nice. I had itd hit a wave and it flew in the air for maybe 10ft across or so and about a 2ft or so above the water and it looked awesome when it was in the air and it landed perfectly. I wish I had a video of the jump because in slow motion it would look like it was flying. Like I said this was definitely one boat I regret selling, I should have kept my other one.

Sent the boat out today to see how it would do in stock trim. Ran it on two 2S packs in series for 4S, 2000kV outrunner, and a sharpened x640 prop. Ran 45mph and did pretty good in a straight line but was a little squirrely in the turns. Definitely needs tuning, but after seeing how the hull moved in the water, my initial plans to use a spare 4082 motor on 6S have definitely been scrapped. The sound of the stock outrunner was really cool and I may just keep that in there for fun.

2017-10-01 10.58.28.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Stripped this boat down to the bare hull for an inlay two years ago and it's sat on the shelf since. Finally finished sanding it and got it ready for an inlay. Turned out awesome.

2019-01-30 17.00.25.jpg

The canopy was a lot of work because it was small with a lot of curves. I used a separate piece over the clear windows so I could take my time and position it perfectly to avoid any imperfections over the clear lexan.

IMG_20200504_150650.jpg IMG_20200504_154412.jpg IMG_20200504_155627.jpg IMG_20200504_150703.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Drew up my templates and cutout all of the pieces.

IMG_20200505_195609.jpg

I put down tape along both seems and one down the keel towards the bow

IMG_20200506_203726.jpg IMG_20200506_203743.jpg

I used one large piece across the bottom and up the sides. It ran all the way forward to the bow. Put a small piece on the transom with two flaps that rolled up onto the deck, and another full piece covering the underside of the forward deck. In addition to my usual foam brushes, foam rollers, corner roller, and various sticks, this time I used a new tool... my bare hand. Clean up took a bit longer, but I was able to get everything laid down exactly how I wanted it all the way up at the bow and made sure everything was pressed flat into the strakes. Definitely my best inlay yet.

IMG_20200506_213610.jpg IMG_20200506_213255.jpg

This hull was so paper thin to begin with, it really needed full coverage. The resin isn't even cured yet, but you can already hear the difference in sound when you tap the hull. It's going to be much stronger and I won't have to worry about destroying the hull.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I bought a new MTC stinger and Tenshock rudder a while back.

2019-01-29 18.45.30.jpg

I separated the derlin spacer from the original stinger that I need to reuse to mount the new hardware because the transom has a concave shape to it with no flat spots. I cut the spacer into two pieces, one for the stinger, and one for the rudder mount.

2019-01-30 15.20.20.jpg 2019-01-30 15.21.03.jpg

I needed to cut down the stinger a few mm to keep the drive dog in front of the rudder blade.

2019-01-30 14.55.04.jpg 2019-01-30 15.05.22.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)