Thread: Has anyone toyed with this?

Default Has anyone toyed with this?

A better building material? I've been attempting to reinforce a 25.5 inch ABS hull with 3/16 ply. It weighed approximately 12 ounces before fiberglass reinforcement .Now it weighs in at 14.8 ounces. The 3/16 ply will add an additional 5.3 ounces. I feel as though this boat is getting too heavy from the get-go, as I am allowing weight for the motor, batts, electronics, etc. I've found a rather large piece of "foam core" it is foam sandwiched between plastic. Would this suite my needs? It seems to have the right flotation ,strength,and flexibility I so desire? Or would I be better off with some corrugated plastic? Thanks -Ken-

will the foam taken on water and dry very slow .. the water would have more weight then Plywood
    HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

Russ

That's a very good question, if the foam is dry and sealed at the seams, I can't imagine why it would be water logged after a 20 min run, can you? -Ken-

I have done 1/8" ply on a few ABS hulls years ago.
    With the power we have now with brushless and Lipos, the extra weight will not hurt the set up.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Actually 1/8 birch Aircraft ply is quite strong...glassed or epoxed in...have used it for years also....