Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 27" carbon cat black edition build

Well I know I named this the black edition. I turned on my powder coat oven and while it was heating up I finished it up. Man I dunno if I can bring myself to powder coat the hardware black. It just looks too damn good in aluminum. What do you guys think I should do???

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

And a rear shot. I can't lie I'm super happy with how this turned out.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

You da man! Looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    You da man! Looking great!
    Thanks! More updates coming

So here's the cooling jacket and my pickup tube. I know the tube looks weird but I'll show you guys why tomorrow. I didn't snap any pics of it, it's already in the boat. I powder coated them black. That's the black I was gonna use on the hardware, semi gloss.

I'm on the fence about motor mount. I'm having an all carbon one made to my specs but I ended up narrowing this kintec mount by 5mm. I'm gonna mock it all up and see how much room this gives me. One problem I had with my previous mini is the batts were hard to get in and out. I'd like to be able to have more battery options so I'm trying to make room. I'm beginning to think that this boat will top my beloved rivercat in terms of build quality. My skills are constantly improving and I'm learning new things as I go. Some of you guys are to thank for it too.

Here I'm narrowing the mount.

And one side compared to the other.

Here's the pickup

Hopefully you can see how the tube is in there. Makes for a clean hose routing

Here's a top look of the rudder bracket

Looks good Travis. Geez maybe I should send ya my little one.

PS: don't ya love playing with the machining tools!!

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Looks good Travis. Geez maybe I should send ya my little one.

PS: don't ya love playing with the machining tools!!
    Thanks! I love making parts but I hate the cleanup! What little one do you have?

A 26" lynx if I recall correctly

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Thanks! I love making parts but I hate the cleanup! What little one do you have?
    Yes a 27" Lynx, FG but Joel(Rocstar) had done a CF/Kevlar inlay as he was going to SAW it.

dude, murder it all out. triple black
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

How about shifting the strut to the right side of the bracket?
    That would give you offset to counter the propwalk.
    Might need a spacer between the bracket where the strut is now.
    Could give you another 5mm?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    How about shifting the strut to the right side of the bracket?
    That would give you offset to counter the propwalk.
    Might need a spacer between the bracket where the strut is now.
    Could give you another 5mm?
    Jesse, wouldn't you want that strut to the left for that?

Oops my bad, I was thinking of the torque/roll

The V2 mini ran 90 today...
    2017-09-17 11.33.45.jpg

Travis, I do have quite a bit of trim to dialed in to hold a straight line. It's hard to say how much, because I loose my center everytime the rudder arm slips on the pivot pin and I start all over again. Maybe the offset is a good idea.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Jesse, wouldn't you want that strut to the left for that?

Oops my bad, I was thinking of the torque/roll
    I was about to say lol. I've already drilled holes and mounted it. In the. Ideas I watched the left side of the boat would roll up higher than the right so if I move the prop to the right then the extra length of the pivot on the prop centerline becomes harder for it to lift the left side. I dunno. I'm trying it. I've pulled out all the stops on this boat. Fweasel lets upgrade yours to the rudder I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I was about to say lol. I've already drilled holes and mounted it. In the. Ideas I watched the left side of the boat would roll up higher than the right so if I move the prop to the right then the extra length of the pivot on the prop centerline becomes harder for it to lift the left side. I dunno. I'm trying it. I've pulled out all the stops on this boat. Fweasel lets upgrade yours to the rudder I'm using.
    I'm going to go broke $25 at a time replacing these blades! Put me down for V2 of the rudder. I think I'm going to pound this one flat and chop about an inch off. I had intended to do that last night, but by the time I remembered, I had already contoured the bottom and sharpened the leading edge and wasn't going to do it again. Hopefully, a shorter rudder will produce less leverage in a crash and in theory, should turn slower at speed too, which is a good thing over 80mph.

2017-09-17 12.07.07.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I'm going to go broke $25 at a time replacing these blades! Put me down for V2 of the rudder. I think I'm going to pound this one flat and chop about an inch off. I had intended to do that last night, but by the time I remembered, I had already contoured the bottom and sharpened the leading edge and wasn't going to do it again. Hopefully, a shorter rudder will produce less leverage in a crash and in theory, should turn slower at speed too, which is a good thing over 80mph.

2017-09-17 12.07.07.jpg
    And likely gain you 5mph

2017-09-17 12.07.07.jpg

Just lemme know how you wanna do it.

Do you still want this spare I have?
    I would turn your exponential down on your radio, it may be reacting too fast.

If you cut that much off the rudder I'd run it on 3s first. It's definitely going to blow I've on 4s until you can dial it back in. If you can move the batteries as far forward as you can. That will help but you will likely end up giving the strut a touch of negative but that always makes me nervous once I have a boat running this fast. I hate to lose speed. Maybe mark the strut.

Guys.....I was thinking about a .078 wire drive. What do you guys think? Worth it or more headache than its worth? I'm trying to touch 100 with this boat.

Man, that would make me nervous... I like your journal stuffing tube with a flex shaft. You know what I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Man, that would make me nervous... I like your journal stuffing tube with a flex shaft. You know what I mean!
    My thing is what if it slips? There's not much to grab but I was going to use an mbp collet. wholt said they las a long time. My idea was to do some sort of prop shaft retention which would be easy. I could check of the flex stub shaft in my Lathe. Cut a groove in it, taking into account the shrinkage of the flex under power, and then put a set screw in the strut that protrudes into the groove on the stub shaft but never contacts it. If the flex or wire breaks, the stub won't slip out. Wanna grease it? Back the set screw out a touch.

Look, I was very nervous about this but something needed to be done. The esc was too tight of a fit and it was wedged under the deck. I didn't like that. My solution....mill the esc down. What? I know I'm crazy but hey I'm picky. I was afraid it wouldn't look good or come out straight because I couldn't hold the esc tight. Loaded up a fresh sharp milling bit and went to town.

One of my concerns was being able to get batts in and out easier like I stated earlier. I was going to use that mbp mount but it came in and I didn't like it. At all. The only part I liked about it was the mbp milled in it looked cool. Lol

So here's my solution. Highly modified kintec mount that I reshaped some and cut it shorter.

I couldn't find my rear support brackets so I had to make some. Made some out of carbon. Not that it makes much difference but they weigh half what the aluminum ones do. I also shortened the from mounting plate because I lowered the mount itself by milling some off the bottom

I sure didn't think I was going to be able to cut the slot out. Had to be a little creative on holding the carbon in the mill

I had to narrow the rear support to match. Remember I narrowed the whole mount
    Just one side is milled here.

I run 078 wires in my Zelos, REDLINE1 runs them in his Zelos and Blackjack. Neither of us have had any issues with strength or slipping.

How about the next size up, .094 (3/32")? I'm headed that direction in my next boat.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    How about the next size up, .094 (3/32")? I'm headed that direction in my next boat.
    Wouldn't that be too thick for a decent curve I have to make?

I run 078 wires in my Zelos, REDLINE1 runs them in his Zelos and Blackjack. Neither of us have had any issues with strength or slipping.
    That's good to know. It's not too late for me to do a wire drive. I was reading that retaining compound is used on wholts wire drives, I'm afraid that won't hold up to a 3650 motor (same one you have in your mini). Just a little nervous about deviating from the norm.

Got the motor mount in. Nice and neat.

Mock up on the esc and motor. Dang it. I forgot to take pics of the motor mount hardware. I powder coated them black. O well, you can kinda see in the pic

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast