Thread: motor choices

Default motor choices

I have been running my new pursuit with a stock motor on 4s for setup and to learn the boat, after I got the pursuit tuned ....then I smoked the Pursuit motor on 6s after 10-15 runs.

time to upgrade to a motor that can handle 6s ....50-60mph is satisfactory for me
    looking at the leo 4082 1600....can this motor run the 4s paks without harming the motor for when the grankids use it

other suggestions welcomed

edit: Im running a 4074 2200kv leopard on another boat I like to occasionally run it on 6s for a saw run, question is just how much damage is this doing to the 4074 2200kv motor, will I prematurely smoke it like I have done with 2 SSS motors recently or is the Leo a better quality motor.....
    Last edited by MadProps; 09-11-2017 at 04:51 PM.

TP Power gets my vote over a leopard any day. A 4050 1570kv would probably be a good choice

i run the leo 4082 1600 in my pursuit with a x645 b&s by ose and my best speed on 6s has been 57.4 thats without any tuning . i run dual 3s ,one on each side the hull .i added lipo trays .motor barely reaches 100 degrees ,the esc lvc kicks in on me though using 50c packs with that esc .

20170731_094047.jpg
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Leopards are often referred to as lower quality motors, I think you will find if given a choice people would chose TP Power over the Leopard (myself included)

I ran the Leopard 4082 - 1450kv motor on 6s in a 32" Deep-V with Turnigy 180 amp esc, M645 prop. I'll note that my used motor had ceramic bearings when I purchased it, and I had approximately 20-30 runs on it when I sold it.
    Ran 50-55mph
    Aaverage amps 125
    Max amps 155

The 1600kv is a little hotter setup so I would expect more amp draw with the 4082.

Were the SSS motors 36mm cans? Were they stock units from HobbyKing? It's hard to tell, Promarine uses SSS motors and they seem to hold up pretty well. I had the SSS3674 - 2075kv motor and I felt that it was going to fail sooner or later, it came out of a used Genesis catamaran. I ran that one maybe 15 times before parting out the boat.

One benefit stepping up to the 40mm can motors is that they dissapate heat better.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

....Im running a 4074 2200kv leopard on another boat I like to occasionally run it on 6s for a saw run, question is just how much damage is this doing to the 4074 2200kv motor, will I prematurely smoke it like I have done with 2 SSS motors recently or is the Leo a better quality motor.....
    Any real damage would be caused by running too large of a prop, not just by running 6S. The high rpm might wear the bearings faster, but the real issue will be excessive amp draw. If you ran the same prop that you did on 4S then hopefully you Limited the time. If the motor got over 160*F very often then it most probably has been damaged.

I ran a Castle 1515/1Y 2200 Kv motor on 6S successfully for SAW records but I never got it hot and it still runs well. A Leopard will get much hotter under the same conditions. Expect around 40,000 rpm under load.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

yes from Hobbyking, a stock Genesis and the Pursuit

in all honesty I already bought the Leo while the SSS was still running after reading everyone states an motor upgrade is required with both boats....and I ran them hard while tuning the boats to save the wear and tear on the new upgrade motor
    I want the Pursuit to run on 6s as it seems tame and almost boring when dialed and running in on 4s

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Any real damage would be caused by running too large of a prop, not just by running 6S. The high rpm might wear the bearings faster, but the real issue will be excessive amp draw. If you ran the same prop that you did on 4S then hopefully you Limited the time. If the motor got over 160*F very often then it most probably has been damaged.

I ran a Castle 1515/1Y 2200 Kv motor on 6S successfully for SAW records but I never got it hot and it still runs well. A Leopard will get much hotter under the same conditions. Expect around 40,000 rpm under load.

ran a 45 octura on the Genesis and a 42 on the Pursuit ...180A ESC's and have been diligent reading temps never over 130F...Im now running the same setup and same occasional 6S runs on the Genesis but with the Leo motor.....already have more longevity with the Leopard motor
    just want to make sure Im not the one smoking motors with occasional voltage jump from the 6S runs

Just curious where you are taking temps on the motors, it makes a difference in how accurate your readings are.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

end where the wires exit and the shaft, the capacitors get the hottest 130F

Yes, capacitors are the weak link in our electrical systems. The best ones are only about 10A of ripple current, each. The caps I've seen for sale at OSE and other sites are not the highest rated. If anyone is interested, I can post Mouser part numbers to the best caps. I'm using them in my design, they still are the hottest component in the system. That means they are working!