Thread: Best long range radio system

Default Best long range radio system

My FM receivers are both dead in my boats and it's time to move up to something better. I have been using the Hitec radio and synth receivers but they are discontinued. Always loved this set up because I can send the boat as far as I want and no problems at all. So....what do you SAW guys use these days ?/

Futaba 4PK with the R603FS has been the most reliable for me. The 4PX is a close second. I have tested at 500m in either direction.
    TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I have a mint 4px with hard case and 2 recievers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sanwa M-12s

this can be a hard question to answer as these days with 2.4 gig radios versus the Fm band radios many will say go for 2.4 gig and others will say go for FM radio. when it comes to r/c boat use i don,t think any of these 2 radio types would make any difference in the actual range your going to need as both will allow your model to go out of safe to see limits. so its 50 / 50 to me.

2.4ghz usually has considerably more range than older FM radios. I recall my first FM radio (early 2000's), and I figured out the range was 1/8 mile the hard way. 1/8 scale gas buggy didn't stop crossing the frozen lake til it hit a tree...3/4 mile away! I've only researched flysky, but I've seen vids of 1/4 mile & more with their cheap radios. One vid showed a distance over a mile with their i4 or i6 radio, although he was a few hundred feet up a cliff. Some higher end FrSky and such have considerably more range when used in the air.

You see a bit less range over water since water absorbs radio waves, or if there's a heavy wifi presence in the area. You can also see much less range if you don't polarize both Tx and Rx antenna on the same plane, meaning both angled the same direction such as upwards. Hiding the antenna deep in the hull under the hatch can also reduce range.