Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in a graphene battery test?

Default Anyone interested in a graphene battery test?

Well a lot of you have probably heard about the new battery craze just starting with these graphene lipos being introduced. I decided to order some up to see for myself if there's any difference. It's claimed that the voltage drop under load is far less than the lipos that we are using currently. I find that hard to believe but I did see a test on another forum that actually measured the voltage drop and the new revo and turnigy graphenes beat out all the other batteries on the market. Good stuff as that just makes things easier on the electronics in our amp hog boats! Now if they would only come out with tougher escs then we'd be set lol. Anyway. For myself, I'm going to test back to back a 5000mah 70c revo hv battery vs a 5000mah 70c graphene revo. I ordered some 3s and some 4s. One really good test is going to be in my zelos as all batts I've tried so far will get a little squishy or puffed after some prolonged running. If you guys are interested, I'll be glad to post the results. I'll measure top speed, battery temp, max rpm and voltage drop. Let me know what you guys think.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Where ya been? haha I've been running graphene all summer. I've set my HV cells aside in favor if these.

I so hope that all the brands are created similar. I have beaten the crap out of these. Drawn them down to 1%. Charged them at 20 amps right after and raced them in blistering heat with no puffing. Holy crap.

There are some more protoype on a boat bound for MI Supposed to be here in a couple weeks.

We'll compare notes.

On the ESC that's the endless battle. We used to say that back when a 77 amp Hacker was the only reasonable priced unit at just under $300. Ackk. "If we could just find a tougher ESC that isn't a $600 Schulze"
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Where ya been? haha I've been running graphene all summer. I've set my HV cells aside in favor if these.

I so hope that all the brands are created similar. I have beaten the crap out of these. Drawn them down to 1%. Charged them at 20 amps right after and raced them in blistering heat with no puffing. Holy crap.

There are some more protoype on a boat bound for MI Supposed to be here in a couple weeks.

We'll compare notes.

On the ESC that's the endless battle. We used to say that back when a 77 amp Hacker was the only reasonable priced unit at just under $300. Ackk. "If we could just find a tougher ESC that isn't a $600 Schulze"

Well the only graphenes I've seen available are the turnigy and I just can't spend my money on a turnigy battery. So I've been waiting on the revo release. Revo has a much larger selection and they are cheaper to boot. I'm so excited to hear your positive experience with them. That's good news!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I am a Turnigy guy, and only race within the club. But, if graphene comes out ahead in your revo-revo comparison, I'll try the Turnigy graphene. So, yes, I am very interested in your results.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I am a Turnigy guy, and only race within the club. But, if graphene comes out ahead in your revo-revo comparison, I'll try the Turnigy graphene. So, yes, I am very interested in your results.
    I've already seen preliminary testing and in a bench test they beat the regular ones soundly. If that's so, my boats are about to be even faster! Lol

Glad I've held off on buying new 4s packs.

Let's hear the results.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Glad I've held off on buying new 4s packs.

Let's hear the results.

I'm impatiently waiting on mine to arrive! I think the first test will be in the Rivercat on 3s then 4s. Trying to decide if I should leave it on full kill for the test or prop down to be safe. Could end up being the same thing like my first time driving the boat with revos. Soon as I squeezed the throttle all the way it went flipping lol. I don't see it having that much more punch. Did you notice any more punch Terry? What brand are yours?

All the way or nothing :P

Btw, what kind of voltage drop differences did those bench tests that you read up about show? Can you post some specific numbers...
    If it's that much more significant ... im sure it can be a problem for those that are already running high rpm (lehners, etc).

Any of you guys have any ideas why REVO packs don't come with thicker gauge leads? Especially for their higher discharge (70c+) packs it probably would be a good idea.

Or even better -- dual wire leads for a total of 4 leads like all the heavy duty ESC's come with for less resistance.

I've looked into maybe soldering extra leads onto the lipo tabs but apparently you need some sort of special aluminum solder to do it, so I'm thinking about alternatives...

Travis,

I'll be watching as well. I have four 4S packs on the way... two in 4000mAh and two in 5000 mAh... Can't wait for official tests, but have heard good things from fellow club members regarding the Turnigy Graphenes.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Travis,

I'll be watching as well. I have four 4S packs on the way... two in 4000mAh and two in 5000 mAh... Can't wait for official tests, but have heard good things from fellow club members regarding the Turnigy Graphenes.
    That's definitely good thing to hear. I'm still waiting on my ship notification for mine. I haven't had time to run boats in two weekends. We are going camping this weekend and there's a nice big lake where we are going. I plan on getting some running done with 3 or 4 boats.

One of the guys in the club is running Turnigy graphine, and says they're better. If they can hold voltage better under load, then those last laps will be faster than the other guys.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Well, that was fast... ordered on Monday Morning.. they showed up (well, the three packs available in the USA... one still coming from the International Warehouse)... TUESDAY!

The packaging is crazy, making me wonder if there isn't a little bit of "gimmick marketing" involved. I mean, velvet bag? Seriously?? How much extra cost did I have to pay for THAT??

These were about $35.00 a pack or so more than the same sized Turnigy HD. We'll have to see if they stack up.

1468366254186.jpg

You guys have all the luck finding these. I've had a hard time getting my hands on Graphene from turnigy and just noticed Revo started selling them. I'm looking for 3s 5000mah but both outta stock!! Damn it!!!

Travis, I just noticed they were Revos you ordered, my bad!
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    You guys have all the luck finding these. I've had a hard time getting my hands on Graphene from turnigy and just noticed Revo started selling them. I'm looking for 3s 5000mah but both outta stock!! Damn it!!!

Yes. Also, I heard that someone in the United States may be stocking these batteries. What do you guys think about that? I'll give you a hint. It's someone we all order from on the regular.

That would make things a whole lot easier if it can keep up with supply which I must say Steven has done a
    Fantastic job with.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

You guys have all the luck finding these.
    Wasn't as easy as you think, especially when you have to try to limit capacity to 5000mAh.

And... to get a PAIR of 4S 5000's... I had to order one from one warehouse, and the other from another, and the International Warehouse was $20.00 just to ship that one pack.

But... when you want to try something, that's what it takes sometimes.

I hear ya Darin, wish I never saw this forum. Lol. Makes my pocket weak!

Have you tried contacting support about the stock?

More often than not they are already back in-stock or will be in days.

For those tekkies who need to know "Why and How"....this tedx talk explains it all.
    Imagine if you will the next generation of lipo power in it's beginning stages, most of all the thought of a 5000mah pack the size of a AA battery....enjoy!

https://youtu.be/KzeQSZ3bQ2g

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Have you tried contacting support about the stock?

More often than not they are already back in-stock or will be in days.
    Revo graphenes are now in stock. I've made a few orders and got tracking on one of them so far. I expect Monday my other two orders will be on the way also. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Revo graphenes are now in stock. I've made a few orders and got tracking on one of them so far. I expect Monday my other two orders will be on the way also. Can't wait!

Are there any other companies making graphene packs other than Revo and Turnigy at the moment?

Can't wait to hear how they hold up. If they are better than the silver label 435 packs that is amazing!! So far I haven't seen a better pack. Also very curious about the 455 cells they are developing. Headroom is a good thing.

Are there any other companies making graphene packs other than Revo and Turnigy at the moment?
    Not that I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by gohan View Post
    For those tekkies who need to know "Why and How"....this tedx talk explains it all.
    Imagine if you will the next generation of lipo power in it's beginning stages, most of all the thought of a 5000mah pack the size of a AA battery....enjoy!

https://youtu.be/KzeQSZ3bQ2g
    That is amazing

What do you guys think about this? Well for those that are tech savvy!

Well, that's pretty disappointing.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

I'd wait until Darin or kfx do their test. Highly doubt that guy did any real world
    Test other than to find out why one weighed more than the other. I haven't the slightest clue of what Graphene looks, smells or sounds like. Lol

Revo actually seems to be a white label of a much bigger industrial lithium manufacturer.

So if Revo is now doing it it's most likely because it's starting to (or already being used) for Industrial purposes, etc.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast