Thread: Who is interested in better looking, through-hull antenna mounts for our boats?

Default Who is interested in better looking, through-hull antenna mounts for our boats?

I have never liked the straight, vertical antenna mounts. They just look, bulky, obtuse, out of place and ruin the appearance of the boat, I think. I have seen some use a rubber grommet, and some use water outlets for a minimalist solution, but that still won't do it for me. I have been wanting something better, and have looked at some of the scale antenna masts for heli's, but none of them seem to be designed in a way that would be a direct swap for any of our RTR or custom built hulls. SO, I 3D printed my own. Before I release even an image, I want to test the waters here to measure how much interest there is for something better than what is currently available to us. I may begin printing a large quantity of them depending on the feedback.

Thanks,
    Michael P.

Well, people may want to see an image first to know if they'd be interested or not

Every antenna mount I know of is a vertical, conical, nozzle-shaped piece of plastic or aluminum. If anyone thinks we should have something different, just chime in here. Doesn't guarantee 100% of those people will like my design. I only want an idea of how many others wish for something different.

Well, your describing a change in the asthetics of the mount. Yes, we have a mental picture of the standard, conical shaped mount looks like. But we don't have a clue what your 3-D printed part looks like. That's probably why your not getting feedback. It doesn't make sense to ask for an opinion on a comparison that is not seen. Seems like you're holding this close to the vest...

Top Secret stuff going on in here

a proper gentleman would post up some stuff for fellow boaters to look at.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Top Secret stuff going on in here

a proper gentleman would post up some stuff for fellow boaters to look at.
    It's pointless/impossible to attempt to patent something like this, in an effort to protect my idea. As soon as it gets out and shows any potential for sales, I'm pretty sure they'll be ripped off, right away. Everyone has a 3D printer, and I work in a CNC lathe/milling manufacturing and design company. These things can be made in a few hours. So, yes I'm keeping it top secret. I'm not really looking for anyone to say whether they like my idea yet. I only want to know if I'm the only one who doesn't like the current options.

For example, imagine the Toyota Camry is the only sedan available to car buyers, on Earth. Some people will probably wish there was another sedan for them to choose from, without ever seeing another potential sedan designed and manufactured by BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Ford, Porsche, Nissan, Holden, Tesla, Vauxhall, Kia, Honda, etc. If you don't like the way your antenna sticks up out of your hull, that's really the only thing you have to signal in this thread. You may see my option and say, "nah, I like the vertical traffic cone antenna mount better," but that's not what I'm asking. That can come later. Do you like the Toyota Camry, or do you wish there was something else to choose from? LOL

Here's an actual boat example. I look at the Zelos 36 and see a pretty good looking hull, but then there's this black tube sticking straight up out of it...and not even in the center, somewhere. Instead, it's off to the port side like some 1980's RC car. I don't have to know that there is another option out there...I just know I don't like that. Maybe I'm the only one, though...?

20170907_173907.jpg

20170907_173549.jpg

Ive wondered about carving a trench or pocket "letting in" the wire and covering with epoxy and clear. Shorter range rigs it would probably be fine. Hell possibly a piece of wire mesh burried under the top of the hatch and a quick connect (I know, going a lil far now)... But short answer, you're not the only one brainstorming something other than a piece of coffee straw sticking out.

I just use a 2.4Ghz receiver that doesn't need an external antenna. Yes, to answer your question, I too think the antenna takes away from the realistic look. But there are other options available. So it's up to you whether you proceed to market or produce this mount you have.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I just use a 2.4Ghz receiver that doesn't need an external antenna.
    For those with carbon fiber hulls, this may apply more, as an external antenna is a virtual necessity.

I wouldn't mind a mount that had like a 45 degree angle back, I use the futabas with the external antenna and I like to get the end a few inches out of the boat. Some boats it's bent back under a cowl so with an angled mount the tube would be less likely to kink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

FYI It still has to be vertical, since the antennas need to be polarized on the same plane. I 3d printed an internal holder and it's okay for 2-300ft but still has intermittent glitches. The same radio can go 1/8 mile no prob when the clear 28mm portion extends past the hull.

bFfTDZw.jpg

I myself made a antenna holder inside the boat using a similar traxxas tube that comes with the Traxxas Spartan when there was no antenna mount. Range was not bad but having the antenna protruding outside the hull produced the best results, especially if you use a Spektrum MR200 or MR3000 rx with double antennas. The Traxxas receivers with the antenna inside the boat seem to work fine but it's not always so with other receivers. So if you have something in mind that will work with a major receivers with either double or single antennas, then you better do a research that nothing like it is being made or a patent for it already exist. Then if not then get a patent and have a prototype to test. Until then you're going to have mix interests. Some don't mind while others do, but if you show your product to be effective and aesthetically desirable then you might persuade the ones that don't care to change their mind. Kinda like seeing a product and then you say to yourself that's stupid and then you try it. . .then you say why haven't I used this before "this is great".. .until then most of us do with what we have . .some even keep the antenna mount/holder and not even use it while some have taken the time to remove it and cover the hole and paint it so it looks like it was never there before. For me, i really didn't care one way or another.. .if there's an antenna mount then I use it if my receiver has an antenna otherwise, I don't use it at all if no antenna on the receiver.

Unless its a CF hull, the only use an external antenna has is for something that the fishing retrieval line can catch on too.

RC boats are supposed to have antennas. I don't mind them at all, they don't hurt the look at all from my perspective. 30 years ago the long buggy whips we called antennas were truly ugly, the modern day shorty's aint so bad, once out on the pond makin waves they all but disappear. I'm ok with what we got.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

I'm all for a cleaner look

It would be nice to have something with a lower profile but even more it would be nice to have something that is one piece and won't come apart from the mount and fall off during a run.

I would be interested in a different look, I'm sure many people would be, but no one is going to beg you to see it nor will it make you a millionaire. A new antenna mount is not a game changer to RC boating in my opinion and not worth spending more than $5 on. I'm content with the aeromarine mount until I see one that catches my eye more.
    Also, I don't know if you came across a thread of a particular boat that was introduced a year or so ago, but this boat looked nice and grabbed some attention, but the owner apparently came up here with a hot head and disrespected some of the "go to guys" for boat performance. I'm not sure how his sells are but they are not as good as they could have been if he had of treated the members with more respect. I've gained knowledge from build threads or questions asked that has saved me tons of time and aggravation of trial & error, those guys could have kept those secrets to themselves but chose to share. Good luck with your product.
    IMPBA 20583

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Plea View Post
    I would be interested in a different look, I'm sure many people would be, but no one is going to beg you to see it nor will it make you a millionaire. A new antenna mount is not a game changer to RC boating in my opinion and not worth spending more than $5 on. I'm content with the aeromarine mount until I see one that catches my eye more.
    Also, I don't know if you came across a thread of a particular boat that was introduced a year or so ago, but this boat looked nice and grabbed some attention, but the owner apparently came up here with a hot head and disrespected some of the "go to guys" for boat performance. I'm not sure how his sells are but they are not as good as they could have been if he had of treated the members with more respect. I've gained knowledge from build threads or questions asked that has saved me tons of time and aggravation of trial & error, those guys could have kept those secrets to themselves but chose to share. Good luck with your product.
    I agree on all points! Treating customers, or even potential customers, poorly is the fastest way to ruin your business. These days, it only takes one unhappy person to launch a smear campaign in an internet forum, and that's out there forever for everyone to see. I've never been even remotely intrigued about operating a business. I'm an engineer, and the things I come up with, I would rather sell a patent for someone else to manufacture and market. Something small like an external antenna mount is going to make pennies in profit, so if enough people are interested in an alternative, and I go through with making a bunch of them, I definitely won't be spending my time and money on it to get rich. I've made some prototypes that I'll soon be sharing spy-shots of, but I'm still tweaking my design and testing materials. In the end I may have to have three separate designs for different things considering hull scale, and flat or contoured mounting surfaces. I've even got tube and no-tube designs. So this thread is literally only a discussion to measure the viability of making more of my design to share with others. I may speak with Steve V. and see if he is interested in adding them to his store, because, like I said, I'm not interested in running a business.

Here's how much I dislike the traffic-cone external antenna bases... On some hulls I started making internal mounts (similar to Hydrocarbon82's nicer printed part, but just carbon fiber and a rubber grommet), and passing an inch or two of clear antenna tube through the hull. The image below is one I shared in my KOS P1 build thread. Even that looks unrefined and crude, to me. It's like there needs to be a smoothly flowing intermediary between the hull and antenna.

20150809_221228.jpg

This was one of the ideas I had for a thru-hole mount. The whole part is glued inside the hull, then a dab of silicone/etc sealant will keep it waterproof. Then the mast protrudes and the mount holds it like yours above. Obviously designed for a flat section, and I'd advise against edges since cracks can start much easier if you put a hole there.

0EA6Sfr.jpg