Thread: Cut/mod prop for less load?

Default Cut/mod prop for less load?

I have an X445 I'm not planning on using, so I'm curious what I can do that will keep similar performance to the M445 but with less load. I've read that a cut-down prop keeps the same total pitch, but I'm curious what it does for amp draw. At 42mm it would effectively be an X542 for instance, although I'm thinking removing only 1-2mm total. I'm also thinking about removing the tongue, but I'm curious if I should take more or less off than the M series since it's for a sport boat.

Background: I recently bought a TFL Pursuit and I'm using an M445, Flycolor 150A esc, and GoolRC 2250kv 3674. It's not for racing, just messing around. The ESC hits thermal protection on occasion (120-130F), same for the motor. The motor connectors probably get hotter, so I'll be switching from 4mm to 5mm bullets. After a cool down it rips around til the batteries are drained (Gens Ace 5500mAh 4S 45C).

If the prop is an Octura, then detongue it to the shape of an M445, it has thinner blades so will be more efficient and draw less amps. A X442 detongued or a prather 215 would likely drop amp draw and give better run times also. Definitely change the motor connectors, go to 5.5 or 6mm. You should also be only running your batteries down to 20% max. Set the LVC to 3.0 volts should see you right, but always check and time your runs if necessary.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thanks for the input on the X442, that was considered but I'm still curious if I can simply mod my existing spare prop. I have both 5mm and 5.5mm as an option, I guess it wouldn't hurt. Also when I say "drained" I mean LVC of 3.7v. These Gens Ace's have nearly no voltage drop so when I pull them out at LVC they're just about 3.7v/cell, then I store them at 3.8v/cell. I'm finishing up an arduino-based GPS/Temp/Amp datalogger that saves to microSD & outputs stats via bluetooth, so I'll be much more informed on what each prop does.

Two interesting things I noticed between the X and M's I have: the X445 has a thicker hub casting and the M545 has much thicker blades than the M445.

Basically reducing blade area helps to reduce loads

Thanks, that's perfect. I'll cut down & de-tongue the x445 and maybe get an x442 if load doesn't go down enough. It probably isn't help that the bearings are going in this motor.