Thread: My Voracity is a prop eater

Default My Voracity is a prop eater

Expensive day at the lake. Too windy for the cats so I brought just the V-bottoms today. Since I had so many batteries to run with, I was trying all of my appropriately sized props on the Voracity to see the difference in speed, motor temps, and if any of them could solve my steering pull issue.

First up was an ABC 1815 that is my step down option from the 1915 that set my top speed of 62mph. It's a reliable prop and now that I finally fixed my teflon liner that would creep up and bind against the motor collet, I wanted to run it one more time to get a comparison on the electronics temperatures after a run. Everything was indeed cooler and I ran about 1mph faster than yesterday. Had a small nick on the rudder last night, never thought anything of it. Noticed a dull spot on one of the 1815 blades as I was swapping it out at the lake, didn't think anything of that either. fool.

2017-09-03 10.07.24.jpg

Next run was on an x450/3 reduced to 47mm. Faster at 58.8mph, but had more lift so the boat was running a touch wetter. Temps were all good, boat still pulled to the right. I brought the boat back in and all three blades were mangles, then the light bulb finally went off. My rudder was hitting the prop on hard left turns. Took out all three blades on the 450/3 and there was a sizeable scar on the rudder.

2017-09-04 11.22.06.jpg2017-09-04 11.22.11.jpg2017-09-04 11.22.16.jpg2017-09-04 11.33.12.jpg
    Last edited by fweasel; 09-04-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Checked for interference with my tried and true ABC 1915, looked good, sent the boat back out. Ran much drier, just a fews tenths off my best speed at 61.5mph, but suffered a mysterious spin out like most of the other runs.

2017-09-04 11.48.17.jpg2017-09-04 11.48.28.jpg

One blade was damaged, again. Mind you, by this time of the day, I'm now down 4 Dasboata props and not having much fun anymore. It seems the new break away rudder design that I installed over the winter, swings in a larger arc than the original rudder design that I ran all last summer. I hadn't run any of these larger props this year as this boat hasn't seen much lake time yet. They all were fine last year, difference being the rudder change. The mount is also continually loosening on the transom. The lock nuts inside the hull might be sinking into the stiffening plate, which is made of Nylon I think. Regardless, the boat is being drydocked until I can sort out a new rudder solution, likely aftermarket. It's ironic, I installed this rudder over the winter because of the shear pin to prevent damage to my transom. First time out early in the spring, I slipped on the rocks and dropped the boat. Chipped the paint all to hell and the fall hit the rudder arm and cracked the transom anyway. So the part I installed to prevent damage has been wrecking havoc ever since. I predict a firery death once replaced.

I would recommend against swapping over to the new Proboat rudder if you have an original on an older hull. If you want the security of a breakaway design, look elsewhere.
    Last edited by fweasel; 09-04-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks to Joshua (shua), who just PM'd me pictures of the Kintec rudder he had successfully ran on his Voracity. It's unfortunate I can't just go and order the part from Jan, but I do have a full spec sheet to go hunting with.

V rudder 3.jpgV rudder 4.jpgV rudder 6.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

your having a bad day
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Yep, ordered it and it was delivered The other day. Hope to have it installed before the weekend.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Should have text me. Lol. I have lots of spare parts. I have one of these rudders on my voracity and my m certain I have a spare.

Put a shorter servo arm on the servo or move the linkage in a little closer to the rudder. That will shorten the throw.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Yep, ordered it and it was delivered The other day. Hope to have it installed before the weekend.
    Will this rudder fit the stock (revised hull) model without having to drill new holes? It looks sweet!
    [Pro-Boat Voracity 36-E] [Volantex Angry Shark 798-2]
    [Feilun FT-011] [UDI Tempo 002]

No. The new rudder has 4 mounting bolts and they don't line up with the 2 existing holes. 8n theory, you could get away with only drilling 3 new hols, but trying to reuse one original hole is a compromise on location and doesn't really save any work. I've sealed up the original 2 holes with JB Weld and will drill the new holes next.

The new rudder has a pivot point more similar to the original rudder design so the swing arc of the rudder blade will be less than the revised proboat rudder.

Got a box full of props today that look much better then when I saw them last. Thanks Chris!

2017-09-22 14.06.21.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Got a box full of props today that look much better then when I saw them last. Thanks Chris!

2017-09-22 14.06.21.jpg
    Your welcome Ryan !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    Your welcome Ryan !!!!
    Speaking of a box of props, did my latest box get delivered to you yet?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Poor boat hasn't been in the water in over 2 years. Started to blueprint the hull after I figured out there was a bad hook causing the boat to pull to the right, and finally got it painted. While it was apart, I replaced the motor and ESC with a TP4060 and a ZTW 200A. Made a rear motor mount from carbon plate and modified the electronics tray so the new ESC would fit. Today I finished up rudder modification version 2. I installed a longer setback rudder with a custom mount to use the existing mounting holes from the previous TFL rudder. I could have just filled them and drilled new, but the solid carbon plate i made to reinforce the transom was too pretty to make swiss cheese of. I modified an OSE twin pickup rudder blade to fit in the TFL carrier and drilled out the hose barbs for better flow. Now I just need to run the cooling lines and install a second water outlet on the side of the hull.

IMG_20191228_181730.jpg IMG_20191228_181829.jpg IMG_20191229_102228.jpg IMG_20191229_102450.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

All of the cooling lines are now plumbed. I added a second hose pass through fitting on the transom as well as a second outlet on the side of the hull. I bought blue hose specifically for this build, but it made the interior look too busy so I stuck with black. Installed a new LMT collet because there was no room for a large MBP style. Programmed the ZTW esc with a programmer and linked the receiver to my transmitter. This boat is finally ready to hit the water as soon as the weather cooperates.

IMG_20200327_143304.jpg IMG_20200327_141457.jpg IMG_20200327_141446.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Got the boat out on the water today. It was good to see it run again. Pretty windy at the pond, so the goal was to just take it easy and make sure everything was sorted. Made a handfull of warm-up laps and turns, was looking good, then it just shut down. Brought it back in with the tug, popped the lid, battery lead had come un-soldered on one of my packs. All temps were cool to the touch, including the castle battery connectors. Very weird. Doubtful it was a bad solder joint as I use these packs in other high-amp setups without issue. GPS read 56mph.

Put a second set of packs in and sent it back out. Wind had really picked up so I was just hoping to keep it on the water. kept the boat close to check there was good flow on the water outlets, then sent it to the other end and came back at about 3/4 throttle. Boat was riding nice and dry, then just stopped dead. Brought it back in with the tug, popped the hatch, same thing, unsoldered battery lead. WTF? This time I noticed the teflon liner and ridden up and was touching the motor collet. Can't say I noticed that on the previous run. Hopefully it was causing too much drag on the motor and caused the battery connectors to overheat. Or, maybe my power wires are too long and this is a side effect? I need an external cap bank on this new ESC, so I will look at shortening the wires when I install that.

Anyway, made a best run of 68mph with the same ABC 1915 prop I had run with the stock motor and ESC. Should be able to prop up with the new electronics and better water conditions will help too.

IMG_20200405_123138.jpg

IMG_20200405_123145.jpg

IMG_20200405_123233.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Mine I did an inlay on is being painted this week .. took the dips out the hull and fillers the air pockets on the gel coat .. Good to see yours out .. one of the best looking boats in my opinion

I had good luck with a octura x450 3bld

Do you guys know what resin is used on this boat?

Sorry to here about your rudder issue. I had the same issue with voracity and sonic wake .I ripped the whole rudder out of sonic. We went to a 4 inch extension on the rudder problem solved .