Thread: friction reduction - MG 29 V3

Default friction reduction - MG 29 V3

Looking to improve speed in p-limited. Stock MG V3 with blueprint and sharpened sponsons, sharpened strut with lip removed and even with bottom of boat, sharpened rudder with beveled bottom, stock electronics and S&B stock prop. Batteries are not best but what I had at 5000mah 50C 7.4v in series (~200 grams each) as far back as possible. Boat runs smooth and corners well. Best is about 35 mph with S&B stock prop. S&B M445 gets me closer to 38 mph. Working on a ABC 1715. Looking for mid 40s to be competitive in p-limited offshore.

Working on better batteries in 100c range which will help as well (MaxAmps). More negative strut gives better corner and more positive gives slight porpoise so I think I'm near sweet spot. Temps are 120s after 5 min.

Current flex runs through teflon tubing in stuffing. I've heard some guys running .187 flex in stock stuffing without liner. Will this reduce friction?

Also, if I upgrade to Speed Master or OSE struct with teflon coated bushings, is that noticeable difference in friction reduction for motor?

Forget the MaxAmps packs, junk for what you have to pay. Your speeds seem about right compared to three MG/BJ boats in my club. The motor might like an x642 better.

Have you experimented with prop depth? Raise the strut incrementally until the prop cavitares, then drop it slightly. Keep the angle the same.

I have a lot better luck in my MC with the 1800 Kv motor, the m445 gets 46-47 mph on the oval.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Please don't waste your money on max amps. They are overpriced junk. They are way over rated and over priced. In my back to back speed comparisons, they were the slowest battery I tested.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I ran a best of 41mph on 4S and a S&B X642 in a V3 blackjack. Never experimented with ABC props while I owned that boat, nor did I spend much time on 4S after reaching my ceiling of 41mph. FWIW, that was done on Turnigy Nanotech 5000mAh 2S packs 35-70C.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Just for clarification, Turnigy, Revo and SMC is where my money should go in your opinion?

Also, any of you alter the AoA of the front of tunnel section of your cats to reduce aerodynamic lift in bow? Maybe with a birch lip or similar?

SMC packs are usually 2p packs and hard cased. Great for cars and such but not so much boats (more load/heat).