Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery question

Default battery question

I have an issue with my boat killing my batteries. I come to shore and they are swelled bad, like pushing on the hull making it look tumored.

So I will start with the full set up.
    MG29 V2
    Stock metal prop thinned sharpened and balanced
    OSE speedmaster strut bushing with a new flex and stub
    OSE raider 150 amp ESC
    chinese crap Geforce 3674 2200kv motor
    dual rudder with dual pick ups, ESC and motor get fresh cool water.
    Gens Ace 2S 7000mah 50c constant, 100C burst batteries. 2s2series, 4S total.

Things i have checked.
    The ESC timing set to 0° for a D wound motor
    checked for binding in shaft system, all free spinning
    adjusted strut for least hull resistance in water. (without flipping it)
    moved batteries back a bit, bring weight back a bit for less resistance in the water.

The ESC tops out at 120°F, the motor tops out at 114°F. connectors are hitting 135° BUT THE BATTERIES HIT 155-160°

could it just be the batteries are not strong enough? If so, what is a good battery 3S or 2S to pair with this thing?

How long are you running? Do you have a low voltage cut-off set?

LVC set to 3.7V's Runs 8 ish minutes. The batteries when i get them back on the charger are never below 3.65 per cell.
    I 2Amp discharge/ 1C charge cycle them a couple times if they get out of balance.

I believe 50C is plenty adequate and Gens Ace are pretty good batteries. Since it's the batteries that are in question, have you thoroughly checked the batteries for any irregularities. . .wires, connectors, IR? BTW you did not mention what connectors you are using. . .deans, bullets, traxxas. . .etc? Perhaps your connectors are the weak link. How old are your batteries and have you checked the IRs to make sure each cells are good. Troubleshoot the batteries first then we'll go from there.

These cells are about 3 months old
    I charge the batteries as a 4S, and they are read an IR per cell: 014 011 012 009

Using 6mm bullets from castle on the motor connectors. 6.5mm castles on the batteries. But these are Race hard packs, So they have the 4mm, long 4 way split solid connectors on the batteries themselves

If your showing 3.65v per cell you are over discharging your batteries, you need them @ a minimum of around 3.74v per cell. This is what is probably causing them to puff.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkrieger View Post
    These cells are about 3 months old
    I charge the batteries as a 4S, and they are read an IR per cell: 014 011 012 009
    Your IR readings 014 011 012 009. . .are you saying then on lipo#1 cell 1 is 14 and cell 2 is 11 and lipo#2 cell 1 is 12 and cell 2 is 9? It should read in single digits or double digits if it's in double digits I'm afraid you're cells are not at par as it should be for a 3 month old batteries. . . .again what are connectors are you using? Fe boats are very demanding when it comes to sucking up power and you need good connectors to deliver high amp draws.
    Last edited by Bp9145; 08-29-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: question answered about connectors answered

Well, if you are using 6.5mm bullets then it certainly can handle up to 200A so good there. Then as Martin stated could be true. When lipos reach around 3.7V it drops much quicker below that. Then in that short period of time, last minute of running, the amp draw is fast and causing the batteries to deliver power at a higher rate and that short high rate amp draw is what is heating up your batteries and eventually puff up. Then, if you've done that many times over in the 3 months you've been using them, then your cells have degraded considerably in such a short period of time which is why your IRs are in double digits. . .assuming your statements about IR readings are actually in double digits.

@ 3.65v you only have around 5% left in the battery, you need a min of 20% to avoid permanent battery damage which will cause heat & puffing.

If these packs are questionable, I would be balance charging them individually as 2 x 2S packs.

You can still use your batteries but I would advise you to shorten your run time. Further damage could occur if you keep running them down to 3.65V or even lower. I don't know if you're checking the remaining voltage on a simple lipo checker or on your charger because there could be a slight difference in the readings. Depending what lipo checker you are using, most are not very accurate but with the charger you will get better actual readings. However, these batteries are still good for sport running but certainly not for use in a race. I've ran my batteries down below 3.7V before when my kids were running the boats and even though they're only running them at a mere 10mph-20mph they still heat up and a slight swell occurs when voltage has dropped to 3.3V. I can just imagine if you were running them at WOT it would certainly cause swelling and high temps. . .which in your case 155-160°F. . .not good. Shorten run time and monitor your temps and voltage by timing your runs or put a cheap lipo buzzer set at 3.8-3.9V since they are not very accurate but at least you won't go below 3.7V. Also, put your batteries in your charger and balance charge them and after try matching the batteries. Find out how close the cells are at full charge and use the two closest to each other. This way you have matching 2S lipos and hopefully, they will discharge equally. Hopefully, this will help with your battery's heat issues and puffing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    You can still use your batteries but I would advise you to shorten your run time. Further damage could occur if you keep running them down to 3.65V or even lower. I don't know if you're checking the remaining voltage on a simple lipo checker or on your charger because there could be a slight difference in the readings. Depending what lipo checker you are using, most are not very accurate but with the charger you will get better actual readings. However, these batteries are still good for sport running but certainly not for use in a race. I've ran my batteries down below 3.7V before when my kids were running the boats and even though they're only running them at a mere 10mph-20mph they still heat up and a slight swell occurs when voltage has dropped to 3.3V. I can just imagine if you were running them at WOT it would certainly cause swelling and high temps. . .which in your case 155-160°F. . .not good. Shorten run time and monitor your temps and voltage by timing your runs or put a cheap lipo buzzer set at 3.8-3.9V since they are not very accurate but at least you won't go below 3.7V. Also, put your batteries in your charger and balance charge them and after try matching the batteries. Find out how close the cells are at full charge and use the two closest to each other. This way you have matching 2S lipos and hopefully, they will discharge equally. Hopefully, this will help with your battery's heat issues and puffing up.
    The batteries being charged as a 4S has never caused an issue, I do balance them every time. The cells are always within .02 Vs. I actually seem to get closer to all being at 4.2V's if i charge them as a 4S. I built the balance and charge lead harness myself, and works well.

As for the voltage cut. I think this may be where I can get some improvement. If the cells are almost always at 3.7 ish, 3.76 most of the time. by the time I put them on the charger to check them, I am sure they are dropping quite a bit under load.

I will set my LVC to 3.9, and see when (timed) i get the cut off.

One thing i did notice when the first one swelled like crazy, is that they are built as 4 cells. 2 pairs parallel, and those in series. I am sure this is how they achieve the 50C rating. I may take all cells out of the hard casings, and make them 4S in Parallel. Unless i get the 6S bug. Then I can eliminate the high resistance cells, and make 2 3S packs.

Thanks for the input guys

It's been my experience, setting the LVC that high, will result in premature activation, very early in your run time because of brief voltage sags. I love my Proboat Dynamite 120A ESC's, but can't get away with anything higher than 3.2V on the LVC for continuous, reliable timed runs. Not sure how sensitive the LVC is on the Raider/Flycolor ESC. I have two of those myself, but nolonger rely on the LVC and routinely set them at 3.2V
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Only one way to find out. Eventually I will get a real time logger. But will have to mess with the run times and LVC for now.

Thanks for the input guys
    As I mentioned if using a lipo buzzer to set at 3.8-3.9V at first then after a few runs find out what the average voltage is. Then if it's between 3.8-3.9V then set it at 3.7-3.8V so you can get a bit more run time.. . etc.I don't know about the sensitivity of your LVC on your Raider ESC . . .as Ryan said he sets his at 3.2V. . .my suggestion was for use with a lipo buzzer. I have two of the Raider 150A myself but as with many of my ESCs, I haven't used them yet so I don't know the sensitivity of the LVC on the OSE raider 150A. So if I'm understanding this correctly you have 4 X 2S 7000mah in your MG29? Isn't that making your MG29 super heavy? So you have 2 X 2S 7000mah in parallel to make 2S 14000mah then same with the other two to make another 2S 14000mah then connecting them in series to make 4S 14000mah? Regardless if you have one 2S 50C or two in parallel or in series the C rating is always 50C .. . .if the C rating is 50C then each cell is 50C. I would run two 2S 7000mah in series to make 4S and your boat would be less heavy and run better then placing 4 X 2S 7000mah in the boat. . .that is if I'm understanding it correctly. . .perhaps i'm just easily confused at my old age, so you'll have to excuse me. .LOL

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    @ 3.65v you only have around 5% left in the battery, you need a min of 20% to avoid permanent battery damage which will cause heat & puffing.
    If your batteries are measuring 3.65V on the beach, then they are probably below 3V when pulling current while running. You are in very dangerous territory, I advise you to listen to Martin....

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    As I mentioned if using a lipo buzzer to set at 3.8-3.9V at first then after a few runs find out what the average voltage is. Then if it's between 3.8-3.9V then set it at 3.7-3.8V so you can get a bit more run time.. . etc.I don't know about the sensitivity of your LVC on your Raider ESC . . .as Ryan said he sets his at 3.2V. . .my suggestion was for use with a lipo buzzer. I have two of the Raider 150A myself but as with many of my ESCs, I haven't used them yet so I don't know the sensitivity of the LVC on the OSE raider 150A. So if I'm understanding this correctly you have 4 X 2S 7000mah in your MG29? Isn't that making your MG29 super heavy? So you have 2 X 2S 7000mah in parallel to make 2S 14000mah then same with the other two to make another 2S 14000mah then connecting them in series to make 4S 14000mah? Regardless if you have one 2S 50C or two in parallel or in series the C rating is always 50C .. . .if the C rating is 50C then each cell is 50C. I would run two 2S 7000mah in series to make 4S and your boat would be less heavy and run better then placing 4 X 2S 7000mah in the boat. . .that is if I'm understanding it correctly. . .perhaps i'm just easily confused at my old age, so you'll have to excuse me. .LOL
    Sorry if i confused you. I have 4 packs, and each pack is actually 4 individual cells internally. those are 2 parallel pairs in series. This makes one 2s pack, 7000mah 50C.I currently run 2 in series to operate at 4S voltage. I was over explaining.

http://www.gensace.de/gens-ace-7000m...attery-10.html

FYI, if you parallel a pack, you effectively double your AMP capability, and your capacity. Series only doubles the voltage

did everyone miss this bit of info???

these are Race hard packs

i would say thats your problem right there . hard case packs are not for boats .boats are very demanding and heat up your lipos quite a bit ,hard cases hold in that extra heat ,not allowing it to escape into the air like a soft pack would .

gens are good lipos i use them ,but not hard case packs . i cant tell you how many threads i have read where hard case lipos are swelling when used in boats .

you say they come in at 155.160 but thats on the outside of the case ,you can bet they are 15-20 degrees hotter inside at the cells .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

I'm running hard packs, but only pull 90-110 amps. I did some research before I purchased and I found that what Boats is saying is true... it's the amps that 3-5s batt systems pull in marine applications. I'm at higher voltage, so my current is much lower and doesn't present a problem. They sell those cooler plates for batts, They look like they were made for the hard cases. Does anybody know if this would relieve enough heat to make it worth installing?

As others have stated, you are badly over-discharging the packs. 160* is far too high and will cause damage over time. The damage is cumulative, that's why the packs are in bad shape now after several months. Many transmitters have timers today, you should time your runs and not rely on the LVC which is obviously not working for you. The packs are probably toast and could pose a risk of fire. Up to you if you want to risk a fire when charging.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Or a fire while running, watch your rig just burn... My iPhone has a timer, I'm sure Android does too. It's just too easy to run a timer. Simple and effective. With the IR so high on those packs, just turn off the LVC, it just won't work right, you'll be hitting cutoff every time you gun it.. new packs and better management next time. Learning experience, and don't get hard cases unless you have a plan to run no more than 100a averages.

8 minutes!

That's about 4.5 minutes too long.
    Noisy person

yes if you don,t have a tx timer how about buying a small digital timer and double side tape it onto the tx . just select the right amount of running time such as 4 minutes and set the timer to go off at 4 minutes. alot cheaper than a new boat .

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    yes if you don,t have a tx timer how about buying a small digital timer and double side tape it onto the tx . just select the right amount of running time such as 4 minutes and set the timer to go off at 4 minutes. alot cheaper than a new boat .
    Or get a Porkmaster2000 (works for me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvQbEnwjNSU
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

love the porkmaster 2000... simple yet effective

Those hard case packs have 4mm female connectors to plug the wire in ,so it is rather pointless to install 6.5mm connectors on the same wire.
    Like boatsrnew pointed out:do not use hard case packs in a decent boat
    And run 4 minutes not 8!

My buddy runs the blue 80c dynamite hardcase's in a v2 geico. He beats the crap out of it for atleast 5-7 minute run's and nothing comes back over 130* F but he's running a 1570kv TP4050. Maybe your strut is set a little to deep? I have video of it running if you want to see. I'd definitely ditch the hardcase with the small 4mm leads. I got rid of my hardcase's after one did this lol although I was over propped a little they still hold in heat

18813414_10158754455330716_8973642016191056_n.jpg

Alright. So I will be timing the run at 4 mins, and check the batteries. Thank you everyone.

As for the batteries themselves, I get the race hard packs 7000mah 2S at $24 each, So i may buy another pair, and de-case them. They have a tiny PCB with soldered on 4mm females that completes the cell circuits. If I just remove that, and run 12 or 10 gauge wire to my connectors will that improve my current?

Quote Originally Posted by mxkid261 View Post
    my buddy runs the blue 80c dynamite hardcase's in a v2 geico. He beats the crap out of it for atleast 5-7 minute run's and nothing comes back over 130* f but he's running a 1570kv tp4050. Maybe your strut is set a little to deep? I have video of it running if you want to see. I'd definitely ditch the hardcase with the small 4mm leads. I got rid of my hardcase's after one did this lol although i was over propped a little they still hold in heat

18813414_10158754455330716_8973642016191056_n.jpg
    what cell count is he running?

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    Those hard case packs have 4mm female connectors to plug the wire in ,so it is rather pointless to install 6.5mm connectors on the same wire.
    Like boatsrnew pointed out:do not use hard case packs in a decent boat
    And run 4 minutes not 8!
    Agreed. 100A average is about it for that connector. I have peak draws (prop cav recovery) about 135A, data logger shows I'm not sagging too badly on volts during that time. But the peaks only last 0.5-0.8 seconds. I expect the caps are supplying much of that peak, fast draw. That's why we put them on, right?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast