Thread: Here's something to save you time cutting carbon or fiberglass

Default Here's something to save you time cutting carbon or fiberglass

I'll admit. Maybe I'm a little behind the times or maybe I'm on to something. Either way I'm posting this in hopes it may help someone during their boat build. We all dread cutting carbon or fiberglass cloth (we I do and I'm guessing I'm not alone) you know, fighting with scissors trying to cut it, get a snag. Ugh. Well I decided to try this fabric cutter I saw at Walmart. I actually bought it a few moths ago and forgot till today. I think it was about $15 and they carry replacement blades for it pretty cheap. It'll slice through carbon cloth with ease and multiple layers of fiberglass cloth easily.

Here's a video of me cutting two layers of fiberglass cloth cloth. Sorry for the not so good video, I was doing it with one hand.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I've got a pair of Fiskars scissors for cutting cf, but I like that rolling cutter!

My wife will be upset if I borrow hers and cut carbon cloth with it. Looks like I'll need to try one out on my own. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

They're Fiskars Amplify Razor edge 8" fabric shears. $30.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    My wife will be upset if I borrow hers and cut carbon cloth with it. Looks like I'll need to try one out on my own. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Don't let her catch you lol.

looks good man, but WHAT is going on with the music dude... lol
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    looks good man, but WHAT is going on with the music dude... lol
    Lmao, I had YouTube music just playing in the background. Not my music of choice, I wasn't signed in to my account on that tv. Basically just background noise lol.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was pretty surprised how easy it cuts. Seems to work very well on wooden surface.

I have been using these roller blade knives for 20 years ( different brand ), brilliant tool for cutting glass cloth or carbon. No snagging or pulling the fibres just a very clean cut, changing to a new blade pays as they are only cheap for spare blades. But you still get quite a number of cuts from a blade.

If you use the roller cutter, do you still need to use tape on carbon fiber? I think you would but want to confirm.

Personally I do use tape if I am cutting to a finished size, but if I am doing something like a hatch where its cut oversize because it will be trimmed up after the resin has set I don't bother taping. Using the roller cutter I find the carbon or glass dosnt pull out of shape like when you handle the material using scissors.

Yea I like that it does not disturb the weave.

Ok very good.

since i do not want to start a new thread and pardon the hijack, just for those using rod and plate CF. i use a tile wet saw.
    when i cut cloth i use cellophane tape to keep from fraying and the resin (West Coast Systems melts it away without any indication of the tape at all).
    i like the plus of the roller cutter not distorting the pattern. i will give this a try on my next endeavor. Thanx for the use full tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwet View Post
    since i do not want to start a new thread and pardon the hijack, just for those using rod and plate CF. i use a tile wet saw.
    when i cut cloth i use cellophane tape to keep from fraying and the resin (West Coast Systems melts it away without any indication of the tape at all).
    i like the plus of the roller cutter not distorting the pattern. i will give this a try on my next endeavor. Thanx for the use full tip.
    I just use my band saw with a regular ole stainless steel cutting blade. Zips through like nothing.

you know i use to have a great lil' srcroll saw my grandfather gave me but they do not make the blades for it any more. believe it or not i'm quite good free hand at the Dremel tool, have to,scratch build Z scale. Harbor Freight has one i have had my eye on for awhile but the Dremel is too easy to use.

i use cellophane tape to keep from fraying and the resin (West Coast Systems melts it away without any indication of the tape at all).
    Got a link or a brand name on that tape? I'd like to try that.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Got a link or a brand name on that tape? I'd like to try that.
    Scotch brand tape.

Scotch brand tape.
    Ha, I read cellophane and assumed it was something exotic.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ha, I read cellophane and assumed it was something exotic.
    It't only exotic when i apply it
    the neatest thing when i built my 1941 16' Hydroplane Chris Craft kit #1254 was covering the Mohogany planks and Styrene strips with 2oz. (very fine) cloth fiber glass and resin and the cloth just disappeared, i was floored.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I just use my band saw with a regular ole stainless steel cutting blade. Zips through like nothing.
    I use low tack masking tape and put iton my clothes once first. The MAS epoxy makes the glue dissolve.
    Nortavlag Bulc

what's MAS epoxy? and why put the tape on your clothes? make it a lil' less tacky?
    Last edited by Stillwet; 08-26-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: oh no not again

I tried using the scotch tape...epoxy didn't dissolve a thing. The damn tape just started sliding out from under as I was setting the epoxy.