Thread: What Paint

Question What Paint

Will today's Automotive Ie: (water-born) based paints stand up to nitro fuels unlike enamel
    Or should I stick with Lacquer on a fiberglass hull

Looking at products from https://touchupdirect.com/
    Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 10.16.18 AM.jpg
    TNX Tom G

You may get an answer as I know some guys here are multi discipline, but this is a forum for fast electric boats. I am sure I wont be alone in having no idea as I don't have to deal with Nitro fuel. You may want to join Jim's Boat Dock which is more for IC boats.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Well, it's a paint post, so I have to say paint is busting my balls like crazy right now! I'm getting crinkle, runs, the whole shot... I don't know when the hydro will get back out. Paint bums me out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Will today's Automotive Ie: (water-born) based paints stand up to nitro fuels unlike enamel
    Or should I stick with Lacquer on a fiberglass hull
    TNX Tom G
    Tom,

I use www.klasskote.com on both my nitro and FE boats. This paint is a 2 part epoxy paint. Although FE doesn't require the "nitro proof-ness"; the klass Kate stuff is some of the toughest stuff I have ever used. Several of my FE club members have used it and are very happy with the results. Attached is one of my nitro boats that I used klass kote
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been sitting here trying to remember a name of a paint.. That's it, KlassKote! The other was Imron, we used that on the full sized boats. Both are expoy paints. Tough stuff, but have to really let this stuff set up...

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    You may get an answer as I know some guys here are multi discipline, but this is a forum for fast electric boats. I am sure I wont be alone in having no idea as I don't have to deal with Nitro fuel. You may want to join Jim's Boat Dock which is more for IC boats.
    I run FE & Nitro class and was try to get some in info on the more modern and less toxic non solvent based paints that I could use on both FE and nitro 1/8 Unlimited boats

Cool welcome to the forum. I would still recommend that you join Jim's as well as this one though.

Craig, you have to let typical paint set up too, crinkle in paint is normally caused by laying paint over other paint that is still curing, chemicals given off during the cure lift the paint above it. you need to either lay the coats very close in time so they are curing together, or wait for a full cure to apply the next colour which could be a couple of weeks depending on temperature. Runs are just laying down too much paint at one time.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Yup... Patience is a virtue that apparently have not yet acquired when it comes to paint. It's hard to avoid runs shooting rattle cans. They spray heavy because they are made to cover larger surfaces. But runs aren't that hard to fix. I crinkled the cowl because I waited too long in between coats. It's been hotter than a pistol here in Tulsa, very difficult conditions! The day before the bottom crinkled very badly! Turns out the base white coat did not adhere to the primer well, and the top clear pulled it. This is enamel and waited 3 days in between, so I'm not sure what happened there... All I know is it's got to be sanded off and start again. So glad I got the DF29 Mono, at least I have something to run! I will avoid painting another hull, just run on the gel coat and decals. A buddy is going to let me use his small compressor and paint gun to try and get thru the bottom...

Try using lacuer thinner the paint will wipe off. Been there done that . Sanding works but you usually go to far. Try the thinner , good luck.