Thread: Leopard 4082 1600 ?

Default Leopard 4082 1600 ?

Is the Leopard 4082 1600kv a Y wind ? Trying to figure out timing. I know its on here somewhere been looking just keep hitting all around the answer. Thanks.
    Last edited by dtacmed; 08-21-2017 at 05:30 PM.

I think it's 8.5 degrees on Y, 0 degrees on D

Oh and yes, it's a 2Y winding...

Don't mean to hijack, but then off the model number of this one.
    http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-inrunner.html

says 3674/3D. So would it be a safe assumption that it is a D wound motor?

Messing with timing too

OP posted it was a 4082 1600kv... can the OP verify the motor number?

Y wind 10 - 15 degrees, D wind 0 - 5 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkrieger View Post
    Don't mean to hijack, but then off the model number of this one.
    http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-inrunner.html

says 3674/3D. So would it be a safe assumption that it is a D wound motor?

Messing with timing too
    Yep D wind.

sweet. Thank you. That may explain why the big prop was a lot for it to handle. was left default at 15° timing on the ESC. quite a bit for that motor

I'm missing something here or I need more coffee... Didn't the OP state it's a Leopard 4082 1600kv? I feel like I fell off the bus!

But thanks for the timing info.. that might explain why my motor, a Leopard 4082 1250 2.5Y wind, is running slow. I left it at zero, had a D wind in it before

Oh I see, Drk asked about his motor...

while you guys are looking into this thread...I just bought a pursuit with the stock SSS motor is that a D motor?

thanks for looking

edit : HK specs 3660 size 1620kv

Maybe I was not clear. I have a Leopard 4082 1600kv is this a Y wind ? and if so what would be the recommended timing ? Thanks

the actual model number is what would help. Then you can determine "Y" or "D" wound.

It would be the timing of 0-5 for "D" wound 10-15 for "Y" wound. just going through this myself with a different motor.

Quote Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post
    Maybe I was not clear. I have a Leopard 4082 1600kv is this a Y wind ? and if so what would be the recommended timing ? Thanks
    This is a Y wind motor,you can use 10 - 15 degrees.

I did look it up, on post 3. It's a 2Y, so use the Y timing, I'd start at 12 degrees, half way in between the recommendation...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I did look it up, on post 3. It's a 2Y, so use the Y timing, I'd start at 12 degrees, half way in between the recommendation...

Thank You !

D wind should use 0 timing
    Y wind can use 0 to 15 deg but your setup dictates what you should run. I use 0 on my monos and 7 to 10 on hydros. The looser your boat runs, the more timing you can get away with. Saying all Y winds can run 10 to 15 deg. is asking for a burned up esc.
    By the way, the difference between 0 deg and 15 deg is about 3 to 5 mph so I recommend using a lower timing if you want your equipment to last. I have played with timing at many saw events and higher timing was rarely the fastest timing. There comes a point where you hit a wall and higher timing just makes the esc get hotter and your speeds slower. You should check esc temps when playing with timing and you will know you went too far when the esc starts getting hotter or burns up. If you're not a racer. I recommend you stay under 10 deg with a Y wind and 0 with all D wind motors. Your esc and wallet will thank you.

Mark

thats very true MarkF, your better off staying low in the timing range and work on getting the boat running ewell in good trim and correct props. i went through this issue with my battery pack getting over warm until i lowered the motor timing and all was then fine.

Thanks for the replies that helps a lot. I'm just playing no racing I want fast boats but a couple years ago I burnt up 2 ETTI 150's and 2 batteries because I didn't know what I was doing. I believe this information would have saved me a couple hundred dollars then. Thanks again I appreciated you taking the time to explain this !

Some good info in this thread. Timing advance with Wye-wind motors depends on the load on the motor, and the higher the load (more amps) the higher the timing needs to be, this from Steve Neu and others. But as Marks says, past a certain point additional timing just adds heat. Experimentation is required to find the optimum advance for your setup. For Delta winds, low is good.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for