Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I almost drowned

Default I almost drowned

I finished up a Rivercat I've had partially built for some time, today. De iced to maiden it on low voltage. Of course I had my trusty recovery boat with me as usual. She ran pretty good on 4s, but something happened and I hit one of my wakes and flipped it. Sent recovery out after it. I'm pushing it back in and the prop comes off. Damn. What do I do? It's getting dark. My 13 year old decided she's gonna swim for it, I make him come back in. It's just too far out. No wind so it's just sitting still and I'm watching it as the sun goes down. Finally I said screw it. I'll swim for it. I know better. I condemn people for doing it. What a hypocrite I'm thinking. But lose a new boat when I know I could do it. I mean it's only 100-150ft from me. So close but so far away. I'm decently fit. I work out 4-5 days a week, you'd never think I had open heart surgery a year and a half ago. But I don't do cardio. I hate it, but I do have pretty good wind and stamina......so I thought.

I start walking out to it second guessing myself. Hoping I don't drown in fromt of my 13 year old, my 8 year old and his little friend....while they helplessly watch. I swim towards it. Alls well till I get to it...I'm already starting to get winded. I flip the Rivercat over. I try to use it as floatation. Ha! What a stupid thought. I start swimming back. Boy I'm getting tired. I try to push the boat towards land as I'm swimming. Then I say screw the boat. I remember to float on my back. At this point I'm spent. When you can't catch your breath, floating on your back does not work well at all. My life is running through my mind at this point. I'm thinking I'm about to drown over a damn toy. Wtf am I thinking. I keep telling myself don't stop. Don't stop. I'm swimming on my back. Barely. And just about the point where I just can't go anymore, I feel the land hit my butt. Or should I say my butt hit land. I sand down in the mud. About 10ft from the bank, panting. Shaking. Gasping for air. Over a toy. Yea. Let me just tell you fellas, this $hit ain't worth it. Don't do it. I'll never do that again. I'll be better prepared or I'll just leave it. I was lucky. I didn't give up. But I almost did....... I consider myself a lesson learned for everyone else.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Man, that's just too close for comfort. You know that feeling, that onset of panick, thinking "am I going to die today?" I've been there, not with a rc boat, but body surfing. Im so glad that you were one of the lucky ones, and came back to tell the story... im not sure that push come to shove, a few of us would do the same thing. Do much work in these boats, just leave it? I would be thinking the same things...

My jaw dropped. Thank God you're still here.

Take care of that heart and do a little cardio. I know it sucks. I have to do it too and I hate it but, one day it might save my life...

This gives me a little push to do more for my heart issues.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I can't believe that folks will risk their lives for a toy boat. No need for additional comments except thank God the OP is okay. For everyone who runs toy boats, this is a MUST read:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...your-boat.html

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Man I'm glad you made it back to shore! Maybe your story will save someone's life by making them realize reality. God Bless..
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Glad you didn't drown..In a way I hope the kids watching you were traumatized enough to learn a lesson as well.

It never looks that far from shore...but then there is always the return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Man, that's just too close for comfort. You know that feeling, that onset of panick, thinking "am I going to die today?" I've been there, not with a rc boat, but body surfing. Im so glad that you were one of the lucky ones, and came back to tell the story... im not sure that push come to shove, a few of us would do the same thing. Do much work in these boats, just leave it? I would be thinking the same things...

I'll admit, I'm an idiot for doing it. I've looked down upon people who have done it. That makes me a major hypocrite, although I won't do it again. It's not worth it. I'm standing here in my shop trying to work on someone else boat....and I just can't focus. It was too close. Way too close for me not making it. I don't think I could have swam another ten feet. To think, had I drowned over a stupid toy, I would have left three young boys and a great wife behind to fend for themselves. How stupid can I be? I've got tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I've got too much to live for than to risk it for this. I'm not gonna lie, it didn't look that far. And maybe swimming that far in a pool might be easier, I can do laps in a pool but you know what, it I get tired, I can grab the edge.....there's nothing to grab in a lake this big. I can stop thinking about how I've never really panicked before until now. I had to force myself to keep my cool and keep going. I kept thinking to myself there's no giving up. My 13 year old was taking his clothes off to come after me. There's no way he could have done anything so had he came after me if I just couldn't make it, we both would have drowned. I'm so glad he didn't. I'm an idiot is all I can say at this point.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Glad you didn't drown..In a way I hope the kids watching you were traumatized enough to learn a lesson as well.

It never looks that far from shore...but then there is always the return trip.

I keep replaying what my 8 year old said to me when I made it back. He said "dad, don't do that again. A thousand dollar boat is not worth losing you over". Sad that an 8 year old knows better than a 40 year old.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 08-20-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    My jaw dropped. Thank God you're still here.

Take care of that heart and do a little cardio. I know it sucks. I have to do it too and I hate it but, one day it might save my life...

This gives me a little push to do more for my heart issues.

Your right, I do need more cardio but I still wouldn't do this again. The risk isn't worth it. I've got to have a backup plan should my recovery fail. I usually don't have any issues with it. It's always been stone reliable......all it takes is one time. Do you guys think it's safe enough to use a life jacket swimming out there? At least you could take a break and float there. I used to have a raft stashed out there but someone stole it. I thought about chaining up a kayak but I bet some idiot would cut the chain and steal it. I'm gonna have to come up with a backup plan that's safer.

Lesson learned, the hard way. Glad you're okay Travis.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Good to hear your okay, I've got two of my own and have done a couple things I shouldn't have but don't beat yourself up, just as long as you don't try it again. I keep a small inflatable raft in its box and in the car for a last resort. Chances are you probably won't need it and it wouldn't take up much space actually it fits under the seat. Worst case you blow it up and then deflate it when done.

Ryan

I'll never forget my experience, and I shouldn't! I don't think you're going to be forgetting either. You were given a second chance today, and we are all thankful for that. I don't even want to think about the other possible post as a result of this, it just would have crushed many people! I haven't met you face to face, but thru our communications, feel like I know you in some ways. I would have been crushed. I'm glad I'll still be seeing your posts Travis, enjoy your week!

Travis, I understand why you went for it. Last Sunday, I went to run my boat and there was a guy and his wife fishing from the dock. To be a nice guy, I started to run my boat way out on the other side of the lake. Of course, testing out a rudder mod, I flipped the boat and the pos of course, lands on it's lid. Send my tugboat out to get it. In maneuvering it way out there, the tow rope that goes out to the floating hooks gets tangled around both props. Now I have two boats dead in the water about 300 feet away. I ran over to the people fishing who saw what happened. The guy gave me one of his fishing rods already rigged with a heavy weight and a treble hook. Well, I don't do casting competitions, so there was no way this was gonna work. Now I return the fishing rod, thank the guy and walk back to my two transmitters laying on the grass. I thought about swimming for them. They were right next to each other. Yeah, it's a far swim, yeah, there's some small alligators in there, but I have a lot of money floating out there. A minute later, I grabbed the two transmitters, got it the car, and proceeded to drive for the next 2 1/2 hours stopping at four different stores looking for an inflatable one man or two man boat. After not finding anything store after store, pissed is not even close to how I was. Finally at the last resort store, Dick's Sporting Goods, I find a two man boat with air pump and paddles for $40. Doing 93-105 on the interstate to get back home, worrying the whole time that some dirtbag went out there somehow and grabbed my boats, get to the lake to find the tugboat beached itself and within 50 feet and about 16 feet off the beach was the other boat. I walked over and picked up the tug, went back over to the guy who was still fishing, grabbed the fishing rod and snagged the other boat, reeled it in. So for me, no more running boats without TWO methods of dead boat recovery.

I've been thinking about a blow up boat... I think the days doings just made my mind up for me. I could so much see myself in the exact position!

And you don't even need to carry paddles, just blow it up jump in and paddle with your hands from the front. Might look stupid but you come back alive.

I'll never forget my experience, and I shouldn't! I don't think you're going to be forgetting either. You were given a second chance today, and we are all thankful for that. I don't even want to think about the other possible post as a result of this, it just would have crushed many people! I haven't met you face to face, but thru our communications, feel like I know you in some ways. I would have been crushed. I'm glad I'll still be seeing your posts Travis, enjoy your week!
    Thanks man. Your right I was given a second chance, but I'm still beating myself up over it. Every time I play I back in my mind, I'm humbled. Maybe someone was watching over me. I feel like that has happened several times in my life, I've had some near death experiences that I felt like someone helped me through it.

you need to learn how to cast a fishing rod as this is a great retrieval tool and keeps you on dry land. its not hard atall to cast 100 yards plus with good direction straight over the dead boat , even if it takes a few goes you will get it.

Thanks man. Your right I was given a second chance, but I'm still beating myself up over it. Every time I play I back in my mind, I'm humbled. Maybe someone was watching over me. I feel like that has happened several times in my life, I've had some near death experiences that I felt like someone helped me through it.

I'm glad you're alright! I've been swimming before I was walking and even I'll take a floatie/jacket/cushion if I go in over my head for something. Swimming on your back was a good idea. Just remember too that holding in deep breaths also helps increase your buoyancy. People tend to hyperventilate, which does the opposite. Everyone does dumb things, but you're only dumb if you don't learn from them!

FYI Amazon (and probably Walmart/etc if you don't live in a desert) sells cheap body boards for $10-20. They also have "water noodles", which are floaties that almost anyone here can likely use in a few boating projects (makeshift boat flotation).

Kids a huge factor, some things you don't recover from. Hero's in deli's & cemeteries, Harbor Freight has or some other knock off store has cheap kayaks. I wish I had a clean enough lake to to swim in, prop keep wrapping up shopping bags.

Glad your okay Travis.

God Damn it Travis! You danced with death...... again..... Though the first time I get. Actually ... the second I get too... but God Damn it! Jokes aside.. I'm glad you still walk among us. Timely reminder to all. Like Clint Eastwood once said..... A man's gotta know his limitations. But don't hit that old man chair before you need to.....

Forgive yourself. You're human. Not friggin superman. :-)
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Thanks fellas. I'm in a very humbled state right now. It still upsets me to think about it. Something I won't soon forget. Maybe I should have brought a pool noodle with me at the very least. I have some big fat ones that would certainly hold me up. Problem is, now I'll be afraid to even get back in the water. I think I'm going to change my workout regimen to Tuesday and Thursday cardio and the other three days weight training instead of Mon-tues-Thursday-Friday weight training days and Wednesday is a rest day. I just think about what would happen if I had to swim for one of my kids. We'd both likely drown. I hope I never have to, but I need to be better prepared, especially with all the flooding we've gotten here lately. New Orleans just flooded a couple weeks ago similar to what we did last year. Weird weather we've been having. But anyway, thanks for the support fellas. It does help. I know you guys can relate better than non boaters can

Glad you're ok Travis.
    Check out this blowup kayak, I have one and vouch for it. I keep it in a large container with the paddle and pump, it takes just a few minutes to get it pumped up and in the water. Pretty cheap too

IMG_3225.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Challenger-Pe.../dp/B074TGM856

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Plea View Post
    Glad you're ok Travis.
    Check out this blowup kayak, I have one and vouch for it. I keep it in a large container with the paddle and pump, it takes just a few minutes to get it pumped up and in the water. Pretty cheap too

IMG_3225.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Challenger-Pe.../dp/B074TGM856

So how long does it take to inflate with the hand pump? I might order that, I think I have an electric pump I could hook to my golf cart to inflate it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I think I'm going to change my workout regimen to Tuesday and Thursday cardio and the other three days weight training instead of Mon-tues-Thursday-Friday weight training days and Wednesday is a rest day.
    Get yourself a nice stationary spin bike! I spin almost every day for like 20 minutes just jump on it quick after I get home from work. I used to have extremely good cardio when I was still competitively racing motocross, but I haven't been racing for about 5 years now. I needed something to keep my cardio up and I'm not a fan of biking on the road Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    So how long does it take to inflate with the hand pump? I might order that, I think I have an electric pump I could hook to my golf cart to inflate it faster.
    Just a minute or two, the pump is large in diameter so it moves a lot of air quick. I'm going to pick up a battery operated air mattress pump next time I run across one, it really isn't bad just using the manual pump though.
    The kayak itself has two separate bladders to fill, one for the top and one for the bottom. I keep the seat cushion/backrest inflated and in the container, the paddle breaks down in 3 pieces. 5 minutes and you're in the water.
    The leg area is a little snug height wise but length wise it's fine. It's actually pretty stable also, I've got limbs out of the water after yanking and pulling and never felt like it was going to tip.

IMG_2556.jpgIMG_2562.jpgIMG_2563.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Plea View Post
    Just a minute or two, the pump is large in diameter so it moves a lot of air quick. I'm going to pick up a battery operated air mattress pump next time I run across one, it really isn't bad just using the manual pump though.
    The kayak itself has two separate bladders to fill, one for the top and one for the bottom. I keep the seat cushion/backrest inflated and in the container, the paddle breaks down in 3 pieces. 5 minutes and you're in the water.
    The leg area is a little snug height wise but length wise it's fine. It's actually pretty stable also, I've got limbs out of the water after yanking and pulling and never felt like it was going to tip.

IMG_2556.jpgIMG_2562.jpgIMG_2563.jpg
    Very nice. Thanks. I'm gonna order one next pay day.

sure glad things worked out ok

I have to tell you I'm impressed you told that story,, I'm sure it was not easy to do I'm glade your ok !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast