Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swordfish data logging? Genesis help?

Default Swordfish data logging? Genesis help?

Anyone know how to get the datalogging to work on swordfish esc. I keep getting error message. I want to read the data. I have a smash shark with a 4082 1450kv with 46×1.6 prop running 60mph. My genesis has 4082 1600kv same prop and only running 50.1mph. Something is not right. Found some info on ose for genesis setups and have the strut level with table. Both boats are running 6s. Thought the genesis was going to be a bit faster.

Have you adjusted your timing? The default may not be correct on the ESC for the motor

I thought timing was set to 4 but im not sure now. Ill double check...for some reason i keep remembering sss 4082 1600kv is a d wind. I still cant get the datalogging to work.

The SW data logger was a real PIA for me! The manual says that the motor needs to be disconnected, which I found to be true. That really wears out the connectors, scrapes the gold plating off. The order you power up is important. This is what I had to do and it worked on my HV 130a Opto ESC: After a run...

1) turn OFF ESC power switch, if you have one
    2) disconnect main batteries.
    3) disconnect motor
    3) connect Rcv cable to USB dongle
    4) plug USB dongle into laptop
    5) connect battery to ESC
    6) turn ON ESC power switch
    7) launch Hefei program

If you have Win 64 bit, then you have to navigate to where the program is and run the 64 bit utility. It is explained in broken English in the manual. That has to be done before any of the steps above.

Hope that helps ya...

Or better yet, get an Eagle Tree and say goodbye to this data logger!

Thats what i was thinking. Do they make a 200a eagle tree i keep seeing lots of 150a.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    The SW data logger was a real PIA for me! The manual says that the motor needs to be disconnected, which I found to be true. That really wears out the connectors, scrapes the gold plating off. The order you power up is important. This is what I had to do and it worked on my HV 130a Opto ESC: After a run...

1) turn OFF ESC power switch, if you have one
    2) disconnect main batteries.
    3) disconnect motor
    3) connect Rcv cable to USB dongle
    4) plug USB dongle into laptop
    5) connect battery to ESC
    6) turn ON ESC power switch
    7) launch Hefei program

If you have Win 64 bit, then you have to navigate to where the program is and run the 64 bit utility. It is explained in broken English in the manual. That has to be done before any of the steps above.

Hope that helps ya...
    I just returned one because it did nothing, it specifically states do not connect esc to battery and motor.....
    no where in the instructions does it say to then power up the esc....
    I contacted the manufacturers and they didnt answer any of my questions about powering the esc to get this to work just sent me links to instructions that are chinglish that I have in my hands
    and Ive had enough chinglish instructions since I got back into the hobby
    It most likely works just fine BUT I sent it back due to no faith ...if they no time for tech support before you use it, then I doubt there is any support after they have your money..

Unfortunately, I don't think so... I run HV setups, so my amps are usually half of the regular or race class batteries. 3s and 4s is big in racing. I run 6s and 8s. It's why I don't race... Too many amps and it breaks too many parts. Maybe someday they will let HV classes in.

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    I just returned one because it did nothing, it specifically states do not connect esc to battery and motor.....
    no where in the instructions does it say to then power up the esc....
    I contacted the manufacturers and they didnt answer any of my questions about powering the esc to get this to work just sent me links to instructions that are chinglish that I have in my hands
    and Ive had enough chinglish instructions since I got back into the hobby
    I sent it back no faith ...no time for tech support before you use it, then I doubt there is any support after they have your money..
    With ya Mad, those instructions are horrible! I think they do it on purpose and laugh their butts off at us...

I got an idea.. if your running parallel packs, you can put an Eagle on each of the power feeds. I just ordered one from ReadyMade RC and they are selling them now for $39.99 each, about half off! But they said last night they only have 40 in stock. I tell ya, you pull the boat in, just power off the ESC and Rcv, hook up the USB cord and plug it in to your laptop. You can download data and save to a file for careful review later. The Eagle Tree is hooked to the batteries, so it stays powered on even after powering down the esc and Rcv.

It also will save the data if you disconnect the batteries. It can be powered from your laptop's USB port, so you don't need the battery hooked up. It's very versatile! I like it...

If your interested, I'll tell you where to get the other sensors... I have a temp sensor for the motor and a brushless rpm sensor. It also monitors the throttle position if you get a Y cable. It will take up to 4 temps, so you can add one for the ESC. For my setups, it's the motor taking the heat. The ESC only runs about 112 degrees.

Last post.... There is an Etti 250a system. It's on OSE's parts site, but no stock. I'm sure you can find stock somewhere. It looks rather big and heavy... you may want to explore that too.

Im running a 200a and my esc is the hottest temp at 140. Motor is at 115. Battery is at 105. I have temp sensor on esc futaba brand. The temp is displayed on my tx. The boat still looks like it is riding wet but ill need to reinstall battery trays further back. Strut is up already. Was there any issues of the sf 200 plus not reaching full throttle? i might just get another mgm my rio wants a bigger one to be safe and prop up and the 250a can go in the genesis. But saving would suck.

Ps so your saying an eagle tree on each battery and it will only tell the current from each one?

Yeah, if it's a parallel setup. I can draw a wire diagram if you need it...

Rc4, were you using esc datalog for the 200a readout?

I see what you're saying. Is that a wifi temp system?

@ craig No data log..it wont load i can get it on the screen to upload data and it tries but then it boots me and shuts down app. It is telemetry sensor for 4pv. Very handy. I want to try the new gps unit from ose looks pretty cool for speed, temp and voltage. Then i could have a sensor on battery and esc.

Just so I'm straight, you get a real-time readout on the beach running it and it does store to memory but you're having trouble with the app?

I get real time temp data from my telemetry sensor. I havent been able to pull any data from the esc. I can hook up the esc to my computer load it change parameters and see the graph for all the data but when i upload the data it loads then a error window pops up and closes app.

I read into this, very cool! But I couldn't find a current sensor, my most important parameter

I have an old SF 300 that has worked great but does limit the throttle to not full. Now comes the new 220 and 300X esc. These have worked great and I'm very happy with them. At this point I will not buy another esc model or brand. Getting the data to work took some doing. After some time, Hifie told me to check the font size and change it to 100%. Well sure enough my lap top was set to 120 % and changing it fixed my problem, which was the software didn't acknowledged I plugged an esc in. You don't need a battery and you don't need to unplug it from the motor. At least with the new firmware and the new X line that is not the case. Not sure about the problems you guys are having with the older model but the new line is working very well and I am very happy with mine so far. Here is a data pic of my last run on the 300X and my 10s mono.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

MarkF, you have an Opto ESC, no BEC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rc4me View Post
    I get real time temp data from my telemetry sensor. I havent been able to pull any data from the esc. I can hook up the esc to my computer load it change parameters and see the graph for all the data but when i upload the data it loads then a error window pops up and closes app.
    This happens with newer Windows operating systems. You have to run the app in system administrator mode. Put your mouse pointer on the shortcut, right click, and choose "Run as administrator". Then the data upload will run to completion. These instructions are in the manual, but not obvious.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

The 220X is bec and the 300X is opto

Mark

update: so I bought the swordfish with data logger because of a seaking 180a that stopped working in less than 60 days , it was not only incorrect readings in the LVC that many have complained about but when it just quit on me I started testing and I could program it, it would do everything but power the motor

I sent it to hobbywing for warranty repair or replacement and when they asked whats is wrong I told them I believe it is stuck in lvc shutdown mode sure enough it was they are sending me a new ESC

I couldnt even get complete or comprehensive install instructions from swordfish when I contacted them they dont care once they have your money... they wont stand behind their products...glad I returned it!

kudos to hobbywing for honoring the warranty ....

Swordfish has very bad instructions! Some do all right with it, but I've had difficulties as well with the data logger.

Hobby King are very good for replacement units, take a pic of the faulty unit and they send you a new replacement with no questions asked.

Eagletree 150 amp to 300 amps in 15 minutes

thanks will look into this too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast