Thread: Zelos 36 paint match

Default Zelos 36 paint match

FYI. After searching for a spray paint that matches the Zelos yellow I believe I have found an almost perfect match. ACE premium enamel "sunshine yellow" almost perfect. Second, Krylon sun yellow SCS-036 almost just as good but the ACE is just a touch closer
    Attached Images Attached Images

incase your not familiar with Krylon be very careful using it...krylon can ruin a paint job on you...following the directions will get you into trouble the amount & type of thinners in the krylon spray paint will eat previous layers if not applied properly. directions say to wait a week before re coating, but I have had paint jobs go krinkle 2 weeks old and older

I really like Krylon and am very familiar with it but.....
    all paint work needs to be completed in one session including a clear coat and the clear coat is important it seems to seal off the color coats....other wise you end up with a crinkle paint job

do not repaint for a week that clear coat needs to harden
    your results may vary

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    incase your not familiar with Krylon be very careful using it...krylon can ruin a paint job on you...following the directions will get you into trouble the amount & type of thinners in the krylon spray paint will eat previous layers if not applied properly. directions say to wait a week before re coating, but I have had paint jobs go krinkle 2 weeks old and older

I really like Krylon and am very familiar with it but.....
    all paint work needs to be completed in one session including a clear coat and the clear coat is important it seems to seal off the color coats....other wise you end up with a crinkle paint job

do not repaint for a week that clear coat needs to harden
    your results may vary
    Isn't it in general that all newly painted surface should completely dry first before applying the clear coat? But, if your experience with Krylon tells you to do it all at once. . .paint to desired amount of coats then clear coat, then I like it because then I'm done and just wait for everything to dry, much faster. I've had clear coat come off down in time because I used different brands. . .I think that was the reason. Well, I'm going to try doing it your way on my next paint job. . .

my last Krylon job I was completely staged I had my decals ready ....sprayed the color coat, krylon dries so fast I applied the decals within 1 hour then sprayed the clear coat ........

just google krylon paint wrinkle..... im not the only one thats had issues & dont mix paint brands

do a test on scrap both ways

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    my last Krylon job I was completely staged I had my decals ready ....sprayed the color coat, krylon dries so fast I applied the decals within 1 hour then sprayed the clear coat ........

just google krylon paint wrinkle..... im not the only one thats had issues & dont mix paint brands

do a test on scrap both ways
    Will do. . thanks

Testors sunflower gloss is dead nuts on

I can't get Testor paint to work at all! It seems it's just a crap shoot if I get crinkle or not. Been using Rustoleum enamel and primer. From Lowe's.. Getting pretty good results with it.. I sure wish I had a paint gun and compressor, but I just don't do paint enough to justify it. But aresol cans are a recipe for orange peel... Wet sand, wet sand, wet sand... I hate painting 'em, but love it looking good! I think the top clear cost is very important!

I should clarify, the testors paint is a good chip and scratch touch up solution, not full on painting coverage

Retraction on my earlier post. I did some blueprinting on my sponsons. Painted the reworked areas this morning came out nice but the color did not match as close as I thought. Gonna just run it as is. It's not so bad plus it's the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I should clarify, the testors paint is a good chip and scratch touch up solution, not full on painting coverage
    Agreed the testers is a good touch up

Yes, it's thin and fills nicks good and has some self-leveling to it. I think the aresol is too thin. I've had run issues with it too. Glad I'm not the only one with problems with this paint!

What did you do the the sponsons, if you don't mind me asking? They look great!

Block sanded them then leveled them with marine rx epoxy