Thread: TP Motor Kv unknown

Default TP Motor Kv unknown

I received a TP 4060 V1 motor as part of a package deal, it was assumed to be a 2040kv but I don't see that as a listed kv. The numbers are not on the silver label like normal. Any way to tell the kv?

KV checker is about it. No #'S whatsoever?

None at all.

Well, could toss it into something and see how it goes. One would assume 4s if it is 2040kv.

Do you have a suggestion for which kv checker to use? I'm not sure if the one hobbyking sells will work on a 4 pole. TP list a 1950kv & 2310kv so I'm doubting its a 2040kv.

Just watched a video on this the other day. See if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    It might, but for an extra $40 I could buy another TP. I'll try it on 4s and then 5s to get an idea of what it might be.

I have the hobbyking one tho I haven't put it to use yet. TP changed things awhile back and the kv's did too. Any chance of a pic of it?

If it is 1900kv it will be a bit of a dog on 4s whereas if 2300 it will be hot.

At this point, the motor is the least of my concern. I just discovered the boat that the motor was sent with has the gel coat spider cracking on the bottom of the sponson, at the rear on the ride pad. Wasn't planning on blueprinting until I was ready to fine tune but I guess it'll be the first thing I do now ...

IMG_3198.jpg

Ouch! Looks like an impact crack. That's a lot of work redoing that so you have a foundation to blueprint. Would love to see pics of the work along the way!

I'm tempted to grab the aeromarine avenger 36. Those hulls are laid up heavy but that comes with dealing with over 2lbs more than the cheetah. Think the boat is too heavy for a single TP4060 1750kv on 5s? That's the set up I have for the cheetah.

I think that motor will push it. May have to up your ESC. I was going to recommend just getting another hull, but didn't want to rain on the parade. That's what I would do... just estimating, but about 220a might be what to expect. Of course, if your racing, then I really don't know..

Not racing FE, just gas. I have a couple v2 seaking 180s so I wanted to run one and have the other as a backup. Think I'll be pushing it?

Yeah, I think so. Start with a small prop and check temps. Or use a data logger... I only data log. But temps should be enough. Looking for motor temps around 140-150, ESC temps around 130-140.. if an ESC comes up for sale cheap in the 220-250a range, might want to shag it. So you race gas? Do you have a nitro boat? I started in nitro hydros, a long time ago... I'm loving FE, being an electrical engineer. LiPo batteries make a big difference, but miss the run times and noise of nitro sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Plea View Post
    I received a TP 4060 V1 motor as part of a package deal, it was assumed to be a 2040kv but I don't see that as a listed kv. The numbers are not on the silver label like normal. Any way to tell the kv?

Here's a fairly simple/accurate way to find out KV on a motor already installed in boat. (Can rig a motor-only bench tester if need be):

Step One : Get your hands on one of these *
    KIMG0624.jpg

Step Two ::
    Plug everything in on boat and arm
    On propshaft install a spare servo arm (or whatever) with supplied reflective tape stuck on for reading.
    Install a volt reading device on the battery.

Step Three :

Aim tach at reflecto-thingie with one hand and push button
    Pin xmitter WFO with other hand
    Take picture for thread with third hand ()

KIMG0634.jpg

Battery V reading at WFO ; (battery started at storage V but doesn't matter for this test)
    KIMG0625.jpg

RPM reading at WFO :
    KIMG0627.jpg

Step Four :
    Divide RPM 31,500 by WFO V 14.67 - you get a bench calculated KV of 2161.97 . Stated KV from TP Power is 2200. Pretty slick

*Tach won't break the Bank :
    http://www.tmart.com/DT2234C-Digital...l_p341103.html
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Nice! Mikey likes it!

Thanks chopper, and everyone else for the info. After I get this busted hull figured out I'll revisit the kv issue. I know I can just run a couple different S batteries, but if it works good I'm going to want to know what I have.