Thread: T600 outrunner temps

Default T600 outrunner temps

I have a few threads on my Atlas Van Lines in the scale hydro forum, but this is a generic inquiry. Today I ran my rig for exactly 2 minutes on 5s with a cnc 445 prop. 5000 mah older turnigy Batts. Temps were as follows with my harbor freight meter. T180 ESC=99*, Batts=115* with 33% remaining using hitec checker, but the motor was 153*. It is mounted to a water cooled mount and water was shooting out so I know cooling circuit working. Boat weighs about 8-9 pounds loaded. I have a x648 but now afraid to try it on 5s because of the motor temp. BTW, red T600 1400kv. Should I forego the 5s and go back to 4s with a larger prop? X452? X6__? I this temp in the upper region of a normal range? Thanks, Steve
    Not looking for a specific goal, just curious.

The motor goes into immediate heat soak as the boat loses cooling. By the time you get the cowl off and can check, the temp can sky rocket. I recommend getting a data logger to see what actual temps are. You'll be amazed at what it tells you! I now have a shore cooler to get the heat out of the motor before it can start to hurt the insulation and magnets.

I have that motor in a 1/10 Hydro running on 6s with a m445 prop, temps are around 160-170...out-runners run hotter than in-runners.

It keeps on going...never an issue.

Doby- do you race that boat of yours? How long are your runs? What is your battery choice? Thanks.

Cool

Outrunner motor quality matters here. Some higher-end outrunners like the Scorpions will handle temps well over 200*F. Lower-end motors, probably not so much, but it depends. Issues which arise include magnet degradation, short bearing life and winding insulation shorts. I certainly wouldn't consider 150*F as excessive - as long as you measured it immediately after the boat reached the bank. It will cool down naturally once power is stopped.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Fluid- thanks for the comeback. Measured temps as soon as I could get the cowl off in my truck. Like 1.5 minutes post run. Think it will handle a x648?

My data logger is showing immediate temp rise while COMING IN! By the time the hatch is off, its 30-40 degrees hotter than running on the water with cooling. In 5 minutes, it STILL has risen by another 15 degrees. If I send it back out, it falls immediately. Heat soak is a significant issue and should be considered before a motor's quality is taken into issue. Maybe a $400 motor doesn't have the issue, but you can make a shore cooler for about $50 and nip the problem in the bud. I realize outrnners aren't water cooled, except the face plate. For me, it's a priority not to let my motor sit at over 150 degrees. My setup is only running about 115 on the water.

One other point of consideration, neo magnet technology has only a fair rating to de-guassing with temp. Some of the more expensive motors use a different type of magnet, sumarian-colbalt, that has much better heat resistance. It's also 3X higher in price, which could explain the price difference. But there are solutions to high heat as mentioned, so it seems to me, you could be spending money you don't need to. A leopard motor will start to degrade at about 175 degrees. Once it loses magnetic power, the motor will run with less torque and the windings will be hotter. Does any of this sound familiar???

Quote Originally Posted by Navherc130 View Post
    Doby- do you race that boat of yours? How long are your runs? What is your battery choice? Thanks.
    Hoping to next season..have to get it settled down a bit first.

Runs are 2:30 to 3 ish minutes...running a single Turnigy 40C 6S battery with a T180 ESC...

Oh, and I'm not using a water-cooled mount.

Copy all,Doby. Thanks.....also to craigp and fluid.