Thread: Would you......with 5 minute epoxy?

Default Would you......with 5 minute epoxy?

So I've been thinking about trying a quicker way of hammering some boats out. I've been using 5 minute loctite two part epoxy for various bits and pieces in my boats but never a full build. This stuff is actually pretty good, it dyes really well, lays out smooth and shiny and easy to get the bubbles out. Costs $2.97 a tube at Walmart mart. The dye doesn't seem to effect the strength much at all. I was thinking about building one of my 27" mini cats with it to see how it fares. Not having to wait on epoxy long will shorten a build substantially. Anyone try this stuff? Think it'll hold a motor in place in a crash? I don't know the part number of the epoxy but it's 5 minute general purpose, rated at 3200psi

Thought this would be a neat experiment...... yes I get bored at work sometimes lol. Day dreaming about boats again
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I've never heard anyone doing a whole build with it but if anyone can, I'm sure you are the man to do it. . .who knows if it actually holds up maybe you'll start a trend and then Loctite will ask you to be their spokesperson because you'll have many people doing it to cut building time.. . ..now you've made me curious and I'm sure after anyone reading this will be scratching their heads as well. .LOL I think you should do it . . .yes, do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    I've never heard anyone doing a whole build with it but if anyone can, I'm sure you are the man to do it. . .who knows if it actually holds up maybe you'll start a trend and then Loctite will ask you to be their spokesperson because you'll have many people doing it to cut building time.. . ..now you've made me curious and I'm sure after anyone reading this will be scratching their heads as well. .LOL I think you should do it . . .yes, do it!
    Well I'm sure thinking I'm going to try it. Will be interesting
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

The wood still needs sealing... would you use a wood sealer first, then assemble, or vice versa? Or would you then fiberglass re-enforce the completed frame? You got me thinking too...

I've built a few small riggers back in the NiMH days and the assembly of the tub top and bottom was done with 5 min epoxy. All sealing and physical construction was done in one shot. Not easy to do and you scrape lots of epoxy off with an old credit card or something.

Good luck!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    The wood still needs sealing... would you use a wood sealer first, then assemble, or vice versa? Or would you then fiberglass re-enforce the completed frame? You got me thinking too...
    Well the boat I'm going to be trying it on is carbon fiber. Inlay will still be done with west systems

doesnt it get brittle?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    doesnt it get brittle?
    I dunno. Not that I've seen yet.....

I use it for more temporary applications. It does degrade much quicker with time, so you may need to stretch out your experiment to several months, a year and more. Sometimes brittle, sometimes soft...
    we need some empirical data Travis!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Been there done that. If you want it to last, use better epoxy. I'm thinking you're not talking about a full build the way I mean it though. I'm talking sticks and saw dust. The quicker cure time epoxy doesn't soak into the wood enough to make a matrix between two pieces. You end up with wood glued to wood. Doesn't hold up to years of abuse where as the better epoxy does. Well, mine didn't at least. I have two of them like this that crumbled before their time. Some of my West system boats have been racing for 7 years now (I think it's 7).
    Noisy person

Ive done a lot of Corian/granite projects that used a bunch of epoxy. The quick set for sure has a shorter half life. Turns yellow, cracks/peels and even potato chips. Mixing in dust from your piece helps but it still just lets go and doesn't blend as well as slow cure.... In the field quicky fixes on rc bashers with 5min didnt hold up at all but I still have a nitro basher that I glued the composite chassis back together with 2hour and toothpicks for splints. Been 12+years and is stronger than before the break. I know Im preaching to the choir just thought Id share. I wouldnt use it and expect it to last.

I fixed a servo mount at the CanAm over the weekend with the quick stuff. Wasn't Loctite though. I just know I'm on borrowed time with it.
    Noisy person

If you are not in a hurry, then Marine Goop works very well and is pretty much transparent when cured...takes about 48 hours to really set up but it would let any carbon fiber (or whatever pretty material you use) shine through. I've built 7 boats from 4S spec types to 10S monos/cats and have not had anything ever let go.

But again, only if you are not in a hurry.

The 5 min. stuff, is like using CA to fix the little handle on your mother-in-laws Tea cup.
    It's NOT if it will fail, it is just a mater of when.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    The 5 min. stuff, is like using CA to fix the little handle on your mother-in-laws Tea cup.
    It's NOT if it will fail, it is just a mater of when.

Larry
    I've had good luck with the loctite version. I haven't had it let me down yet and I use it on alot of stuff. There is a difference because I've mistakenly used the permeated version and it's not even close.

I have used it in a mean machine 2 , it got away from me and hit the bank wide a$$ open motor mounts broke loose. JB weld from now on .

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    I have used it in a mean machine 2 , it got away from me and hit the bank wide a$$ open motor mounts broke loose. JB weld from now on .
    Well I'd expect it to come loose in that situation lol

Yes , that is where I learned about the fail safe.

Just to update this, I have begun a buildusing this. Build is going much quicker because of it. I'm still contemplating whether I'll use the 5 minute on the motor mount or not. I'm may do a mockup on a mount first and see how strong it is. I was thinking about posting a build thread but seems like there's not much interest in that anymore and it takes too much of my time to go through the trouble and no one is interested

I have read everyone of your build threads and find them really well done and intresting. I can understand the time it eats up it would take me forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdummy View Post
    I have read everyone of your build threads and find them really well done and intresting. I can understand the time it eats up it would take me forever.
    Well I appreciate that you appreciate it. Feedback in my threads is more than welcome, lets me know I'm not talking to myself! Lol

Maybe your threads need like buttons! I read through your builds also, just because I am another model boat junkie! I usually don't make a post or comment unless I have something to contribute, but I get what you are saying about the feedback, it encourages.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Maybe your threads need like buttons! I read through your builds also, just because I am another model boat junkie! I usually don't make a post or comment unless I have something to contribute, but I get what you are saying about the feedback, it encourages.
    Yes sir, you are correct. A high five is always good!

Travis, I'll read a thread about you building a toaster oven. I get that documenting the process is a drag, but I know I'm not the only one who enjoys every update on your builds.

Travis,
    I don't post anything very often because I don't know diddely. Like Ryan though, I watch your posts all the time. Your threads are great.
    Bob

High Five buddy!!!!!